Show how you've improved in cardsmithing, over your time here!

edited November 2019 in Off-topic Chat
Hello fellow cardsmiths, myself am looking to see how you have improved in cardsmithing over the time you've been on the site.

---
"So my proposition is two cardsmiths that have improved a significant amount over their time here, will each be given 1 month of premium subscription from myself. This is to show thanks for taking community feedback no matter how critical it may be and using it to better your cardsmithing."

Basically my intention is to reward those whom took criticism in a constructive light.

So how will we determine this fairly? "Comment here, saying something stating you enter this giveaway and/or enter someone you know on the site in your comment by @username them."

Then myself at the end of the giveaway will look over each of your oldest and newest cards still available and see how you've strived to improve in cardsmithing.
---

Thanks and happy smithing!

Comments

• Alternatively, you can post examples here as well.
  • edited November 2019
    My earliest saved card is
    But not many of my other really, really old cards are just as bad. Check out the First comment I made on the forums, which shows my first entries for the original Planeswalkers journey 2. I origionally made really bad cards which i deleted, although part of the problem is that all I had for art was random photographs of weird stuff.
    My newer cards are considerably better.
  • edited November 2019
    This isn't going to be a easy discussion to judge @murkletins. Many smiths delete or edit their early cards. I kind of wish I didn't do that myself, I had deleted around 600 cards or so.
  • edited November 2019
    @sorinjace
    Good thing it's just for fun and to express growth. Didn't expect too many entrants.
  • edited November 2019
    Earliest saved card that still exists.

It has not been altered or revised since I created it. Just never got around to it. I feel like it could use some cutting down and rewording, to make it flow and look nicer.

Now, contrast it to a much newer card.

This is card I am really proud of. It is interesting and flavorful. Power wise, I believe it is fairly balanced, and seems playable.

Much more now than when I stared, I strive to make my cards as realistic as possible, and I think I'm succeeding that. Just the other day, I showed my brother some of my newer cards. He knows that I make cards here, and he had seen a few of the cards I showed him before, but he said that "If I didn't know any better, I'd of thought those were real cards. I would play those." That just affirmed what I had been thinking.

Now, like every good cardsmith, I love to make cheesy and outrageous cards from time to time, but even when I do that, I still try to make them as playable as possible.
  • edited December 2019
    I've been on Cardsmith for 7 months now...
    here are two cards from my first week of smithing
    I have improved on balancing my cards more, and my formatting is noticeably better.
    here are two cards from this week
    most of my first cards had mtg artwork, I try not to use mtg artwork for my new cards, I do make some exceptions, for example.
    here is a link to my profile where you can see the rest of my creations.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Fantastickill7

As you can (maybe)see I have improved formatting and balancing(I think)
  • @Fantastickill7 you've only been here for 7 months? I thought you were here for much longer.
  • @Revan
    I've been pretty active
  • @Fantastickill7 That would be why. actually, I haven't been here for that long either. It's been about one and a half years.
  • @Revan I figured as much
  • edited November 2019
    Here's one I made early in my smithing career (May 15 2019)

Here's a newer one:
  • Wow, I was thinking just last week how far I've come on Cardsmith. My last saved card was ... a year and six days ago!
    Wow, that was surprisingly balanced despite having to scroll through FOURTEEN PAGES of cards.
    The first card I made for a contest, however, was my Planeswalker's Journey 2 card ... and my god that was broken!
    Recently I've been trying to ease of entering contests (there was one point where I was flooded in twelve or so "sagas" before they were invented) and trying to make more cards based on cool concepts and even a custom set! Here are some of my newer cards that I'm proud of and show my progression as a cardsmith.
  • edited November 2019
    My biggest improvements are still largely due to asking questions and getting feedback:
    image image
    Very old with no help. ----------------------- New with a whole lot of help (see comments).
  • One of my oldest SAVED cards
    One of my newer cards that got several changes made to it thanks to other cardsmiths
    An example of a more direct improvement
    The first two where made as an example of one of my first custom mechanics, one that I made a long time ago
    The second two was my relatively recent attempt to update/improve the idea
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • edited November 2019
    This is one of my newest cards:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/conclave-champion

And this is my second oldest:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/puppy-power-4

All the feedback given to me from other cardsmiths really helps me improve! I’ve also had many discussions over cards in card comments that helped my improve greatly.
This discussion has been closed.