Cardsmith Tournament!

Comments

• I'd personally prefer option number 1. It would be nice to participate in a round without my opponent being disqualified.
  • Wait, @TheWanderer, you haven't moved on without a disqualification causing it?
  • I did in the first round, but not after that.
  • I'd say option 1 just for the sake of fairness. Though, please make it quick.
  • If @Blazin_Biscuit doesn’t make a card soon, I’d be happy to make a card right away!
  • @TheWanderer

@Norzael asked me to fill in for @Blazin_Biscuit and I’ve submitted my entry.
  • edited December 2019
    Round 4, Results 2:

@shadow123
    vs.
    @TheWanderer

Task:
    Create a card of any color and type which represents your celebration. Be as creative as you want! This can be anything from resembling a feast, or a gift from the nobles. Even as little as your feelings of being home at last.
    Card Type: Any
    Colors: Any
    CMC Restriction: No Restriction
    Border Restriction: No Restriction (This means silver borders are allowed)
    The card must resemble feelings, gifts, drink, or anything else you'd find at a celebration.

Thoughts:

Deathless Parade - Quite a straight forward card. Pretty expensive but the ability proves it's worth the cost. In a longer game, this could be a crazy good game changer. Plus it's very befitting towards the flavor of the mini story given. You get back with a powerful artifact, and you celebrate by raising the dead and taking over enemy lands! Great card, especially for being last minute!

Drunken Revel - I like the addition of spectacle here. It's a nice addition. And it shows a lot of flavor towards a celebration, especially one from early medieval times when they could last days at a time. Great job on this.

Results:
    Congrats to @TheWanderer with "Drunken Revel"! I really enjoyed the feeling of celebration here. In medieval times, celebrations would last days at a time. And here you represent that with a saga, which takes multiple turns to fully resolve. And as for Deathless Parade, I feel it fell just short of having the feel of a celebration. But i really appreciate the hasty submission!

Now i will begin the post for the finals!! @Ranshi vs. @TheWanderer !
  • Welcome to the FINALS!

@Ranshi vs @TheWanderer

Finals:
    Welcome. The day has finally arrived. The final two! This is going to be a real challenge, so be prepared!

Task:
    For this last round, each entrant will create THREE cards!

I want you each to create three cards following the criteria below.

Guidelines:

Card #1:
    Colors: Must include White AND Red.
    Card Type: Creature
    Cost: 3 CMC Minimum
    Extra: Must include flavor text

Card #2:
    Colors: Colorless
    Cost: Any
    Extra: At least one ability needs to include exiling cards.

Card #3:
    Colors: WUBRG
    Extra: Cannot have mana symbols in body of the card.

Happy Smithing!
  • @Norzael, does including devoid count as colorless?
  • @Ranshi Yes, by technicality it does.
  • @TheWanderer, congratulations for coming the far! I hope we have a great final match!
  • @Ranshi, congratulations yourself! May the best smith win!

@shadow123, thanks for filling in at such short notice! I really liked your card, by the way.
  • @TheWanderer No problem! I was worried about a lack of flavor on this card. I guess I was right :)
  • @Norzael, would lands also be viable for card 2? I know that lands are technically colorless, but I feel as though what I had in mind might be a tad inflexible. I just want to make sure that making a land would be all good with you!
  • @Ranshi Yes lands are acceptable. Card type is any.
  • I've finished my cards.
  • Good luck to both of you!!
  • I am still waiting on submissions from @Ranshi

I got all submissions from @TheWanderer
  • Sorry... I’m kinda busy. I have two done.
  • I'm finished with my submissions!
  • Looking forward to seeing them in the final judging round!
  • As do I.

@TheWanderer, seeing as we already both submitted our entries, can I see yours? You can see mine on CS, it seems only fair.
  • FINALS:

@Ranshi
    vs.
    @TheWanderer

Task:
    For this last round, each entrant will create THREE cards!

I want you each to create three cards following the criteria below.

Thoughts:
    ----------------------------------
    Card #1:
    Colors: Must include White AND Red.
    Card Type: Creature
    Cost: 3 CMC Minimum
    Extra: Must include flavor text

Sah, Glorious Monk - I feel a lot of connection with this card. Including a coin flip always sparks my interest. Both abilities are well balanced and work great in most situations. Overall a great card!

Migellic, Acting Commander - Now this is a great mixture of W and R. It's a simple, but fluid ability. I can see this used heavily for any W or R constructed deck. Great card!
    ---------------------------------
    Card #2:
    Colors: Colorless
    Extra: At least one ability needs to include exiling cards.

Frozen Volcano - I like this card a lot. Mainly because of it not having to enter tapped, and has a heafty cost for the dual mana generation. This on a turn one would be a devastating lead, but with a price.

Xiphos, Inverted Spark - This card is a little iffy to me. First off, the good thing is this would be great in a colorless artifact or Eldrazi deck. Second, even if it were put into such a deck, exiling your own permanents to just replace them with another card of the same CMC. I could see you using this for a couple of mana rocks late game, but only to help pay for bigger ones. There really isn't much value to it as a plus in my opinion. But I do really enjoy the last ability. It's definitely a huge hit.
    ---------------------------------
    Card #3:
    Colors: WUBRG
    Extra: Cannot have mana symbols in body of the card.

Begin Anew - I'd have to say that this is a great way to do a "reset". It's not like the Karn ability that keeps one person ahead of the game, but it let's everyone reset your hand to an equal value of your previous field state. But all someone has to do is tefari's protection and then look at that. One player gets to just ignore this effect and have a great advantage. But i'd say apart from that, magnificent job.

The Guildpact - Now this... is definitely an odd creation. I really appreciate the idealism you left with it to help me understand what you were getting at. Now I'm not saying that this card is broken, but it's pretty broken. Lol. This Eminence is beyond over powered and could easily be a banned card. Especially when you don't have to do anything to get free protection from counters on instants and sorceries. I really really enjoyed the idea of an enchantment being the, pretty much, embodiment of the player. But in this card, it's truly just a tad too strong for my liking.
    ----------------------------------

Results:
    This has been a tough challenge to judge, so let me say a few things first.

Thank you to everyone who participated, and thank you for being patient with me. I wanted to try something that let me have more involvement with the participants, and this was quite a load. I may do this again in the future, but put a smaller limit on the entrants. thank you again! It was great fun!

Now to the results of the winner of my first Cardsmith Tournament!

CONGRATULATIONS TO @RANSHI !!!

This last round's submissions were nothing short of amazing. A few issues here and there on both ends, but overall a great job! It was a long road to get here, but @Ranshi finally made it! Grats!

@Ranshi please send me a PM for FIFTEEN cards you'd like favored!!!

@TheWanderer Great job on getting second place! I know there was a rough patch a couple rounds ago due to other participants getting DQ'd, but you still managed to keep up with the competition all the way to the end!

Thank you all again for participating!
  • Favorite whatever you like!
  • @Norzael

Your comments are completely fair. I'd like to share a few of my thoughts on the two cards you didn't seem to like as much:

-Xiphos, Inverted Spark: I didn't spend enough time planning and designing this card, as sometimes happens when I'm creating multiple cards at once. I had just finished coming up with the idea for Migellic, and my brain was already starting to think of ideas for the WUBRG card, resulting in Xiphos' kinda getting the short end of the cardsmithing stick. I do agree that the +2 isn't as useful as it could have been - I was trying to evoke the feeling of a ritual to summon an unearthly horror - and my solution to the problem wasn't particularly effective, it seems (originally, the exile was required, but I added "may" just before submitting it to you).

-The Guildpact: This card appears to have fallen into the (admittedly somewhat common) trap of my ideas getting ahead of objectivity. I loved the concept of an enchantment commander, especially one that messed with two-color cards, but I failed to balance it properly. When it comes to balancing the Eminence ability, having both of the abilities (uncounterable instants/sorceries and +1/+1 to creatures) was, in retrospect, not a great idea, but I think that either on their own would have been reasonably balanced, especially in relation to official Eminences and with the two-color restriction. I probably would have chosen the uncounterable ability to resonate with the "my word is magical law" theme of the Guildpact, but overall this card is what happens when I have too many ideas for one card.

@Ranshi
    Congratulations! When it came down to it, your cards were simply better than mine. In particular, I love Frozen Volcano - it's a completely different take on the exiling requirement than I would have thought of, and I think it would be interesting to see a cycle of lands like this. Begin Anew certainly feels like a card of its mana cost, and could be incredibly dangerous to an unsuspecting opponent. I think it's kind of funny, given War of the Spark, that your WUBRG card had Bolas flavor text and mine was the Guildpact.

When all is said and done, I wasn't quite worthy of being the winner here. Perhaps, had my opponents not been DQed, I would have been eliminated in an earlier round. However, I will use this experience to improve my cardsmithing in the future.

And with that, can we all give it up for the winner of the Cardsmith Tournament - @Ranshi!
  • On Xiphos, Couldn't it get rid of negative-effected cards that opponents send to you?
  • @KorandAngels No. The caster of say an Aura that enchants a different player is still the controller. Much like when someone gains control of a creature with an equipment attached. The equipment moves with the creature, but cannot pay the equip cost to attach it to a new creature.
This discussion has been closed.