I had an idea... for a 1,000 card set

Comments

• Allow me to present a list of mechanics I think we can eliminate from consideration. If anyone sees one of these and wants to have it considered, let me know. Otherwise I will strike it from the list.

103 choices is a TON of choices!

Amplify
    Aura Swamp
    Awaken
    Battle Cry
    Bushido
    Cascade
    Champion
    Changeling
    Cipher
    Cycling
    Dethrone
    Devoid (it's a set about colors)
    Devour
    Dredge (power level)
    Echo
    Entwine
    Evoke
    Epic
    Evolve
    Exalted
    Exploit
    Extort
    Fear
    Fortify
    Frenzy
    Fuse
    Graft
    Gravestorm
    Haunt
    Hidden Agenda
    Horsemanship
    Ingest
    Kicker
    Landhome
    Level Up (tough to template)
    Living Weapon
    Madness
    Myriad
    Ninjutsu
    Overload
    Phasing
    Provoke
    Prowl
    Rampage
    Recover (not actually a keyword)
    Retrace
    Shadow (this is a set about concrete things)
    Shroud (subsequently made obsolete)
    Soulbond
    Soulshift (too narrow)
    Storm (power level)
    Substance (obsolete)
    Surge (multiplayer)
    Unleash
    Vanishing (duplicated Fading)

That removes 55 of 103, leaving 48 candidates for 9 spots.

Again: If you see one that you would like to advocate for, call it out please. We can take it off the list.
  • edited January 2020
    @Ranshi @Scott_Anderson

Oooooor, we could use the document to come up with the factions and their mechanics beforehand, so we could have cohesiveness on the mechanics, settings, factions, etc...!

And I suggest that if this is a "menagerie" type set, I think we should use some mechanics from the Tome of the Mechanix
  • @ScottAnderson, I am inclined to agree with EnvyReaper on this.

@EnvyReaper, I am just fairly certain that based on the concept that this is based in, it will be ending up that way.

We definitely should use custom mechanics in this set that is supposed to showcase ourselves as a plane.

Also, Scott, as a side note, the card of me already has exalted...
  • edited January 2020
    @envyreaper agreed

@Ranshi great! We will use Exalted, full stop.
  • Couldn’t we have an arrangement such as Modern Horizons or Planar Chaos where we use lots of things, but ban a few mechanics rather than pick a few?
  • @AxNoodle, that sort of thing is what I meant by Menagerie.
  • @axnoodle, it appears we are not going to be using a really tight storyline, but rather a setting with many little stories. This may lend itself to making available a broader palate of keywords.

My vision of a very tight megablock seems to be a minority view, which is great. So long as we can all agree (I do) with a less-focused but broader project then it’s great. That’s what collaboration is about.
  • So we are doing that kind of style?
  • I believe so.
  • In that spirit I have started my little story in Boros colors. The opposing faction is Sultai in color.

The characters are very much throwbacks to Legends.

Right now the flavor is explicitly Christian and real-world European Medieval, but I will change that which is necessary to wash those real world elements before submitting my cards.
  • By the end of my story, the factions have shifted to Mardu versus Simic.

The other thing is that besides Boros, the feel of the factions is quite different from other sets. I didn’t want to copy either Ravnica or Khans/Dragons, and that part has come along nicely.
  • @Ranshi
    I gues you're right.
  • Also I have an idea for a new keyword:
    Speedy
    It's like flying, except instead of being blocked by flying or reach, it can only be blocked by creatures with haste or speedy.
    It gives another use for haste after a creature has entered, which is why I like it.
  • I think we should use
    Bump(Reveal the bottom card of your library. You may put it on top of your library)
    Wording needs work
  • @WarriorCatInAhat, I feel like you're sorely underestimating how much of a wrench haste can throw in plans... not only is an unplanned element entering the game, but it takes effect instantly!
  • @Ranshi
    Well, what if you have a haste giving card but all your creatures are allready untapped, and you have no creatures in hand?
  • edited January 2020
    Bump Example Card | [Cost]
    Creature - Subtype | Common
    When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, bump 2. (Look at the bottom 2 cards of your library, then put any number of them on the top of your library in any order and the rest on bottom in any order.)
    1/1
  • @WarriorCatInAhat, well haste is a card with nothing but pros about it. There will always be circumstances that could lead one to say that a mechanic is overpowered or useless.
  • Looks like a 2w/u cost.
  • @Ranshi
    Yeah, I'm not too good at making mtg cards.
    But Bump seems intresting... It's a little like Surveil or Scry.
    Maybe it should be for Dimir colors... manipulating your draws seems very Dimir-y.
  • I'm thinking like scry, bump should be at least secondary in every color, because all of us will bump a contest from time to time.
  • But it should at least be seen most in Dimir colors.
  • Well, apparently, we are currently just trying to make characters.
    Here's one I made, it uses two of the Sultai colors.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vilaz-dealer-of-souls
    (I used Undergrowth, but Undergrowth technically is'nt a keyword)
  • @WarriorCatInAhat
    In case you weren’t aware,

• So this is the bit where we decide mechanics?
  • @DrakeGladis I don’t think so. Looks like we just don’t use obsolete stuff but use everything else like in Planar Chaos or Modern Horizons.
  • @drakegladis @axnoodle is correct. On mechanics you can use what you want to aside from things that are

1) obsolete
    2) multiplayer/commander/battlebond related
    3) conspiracy themes
    4) un-set things

But most everything is okay.
  • Can we see what color combinations everyone would like? Maybe we can all get what we want and maybe we will have to compromise.

Remember most cards will still be monocolored as normal, but they should be consistent with your special cards.

Ideally each of us will work on one three-color group and then the opposing two-color group.

That would be ideal. It may not be possible but we can try it.

For instance you might have Esper versus Gruul.
  • Naya v Dimir
This discussion has been closed.