Stitia, Plane of 13 Deaths (RPG Style Saga/My First Saga)

Comments

• A roar echoes through Rotavel, joined by a chorus of screams. People are hopeless as they're tossed into the air with murderous glee. Homes are destroyed, as innocents are slaughtered with the brutality and chaos of a demon's rampage and the skill and precision of an expert assassin's wetwork. With nary a thing left in sight, a towering figure huffs.

"How sad. How easily they're slaughtered! It isn't enough... where's the fun if there's no sport?! I know what I must do now... I need bigger prey..."

The figure seems to vanish as a group of guards approach the destroyed town, followed by a detective.

"Wh-who... who did this?!"
    "H-help... help me..."

One of the guards turn, and notices a little girl lying on the ground, shaken. Above her, on what little bit remains of a brick wall, lies a symbol. She looks at it, shaking in fear.

"Dammit! Not again!"
    "The Horn killer," the detective mumbles as they light a pipe. He puffs, then continues speaking. "What does he hope to accomplish by killing all these innocent people?" He then turns to one of the guards. "Girat, I count 15 homes destroyed. We need to get a body count."

All but two of the guards survey the area with the detective.

"Mommy... daddy..." The girl cries out.

The guards don't know what to say. It feels rather sick, to see this child crying, knowing she faces a fate that's likely worse than the others; living the rest of her life remembering this day.

"Tell me... what you saw," one of them finally mutters to her.

She remained silent for a moment, before finally speaking.

"There... was a monster..."
    "A monster?"
    "I looked out my window... the monster... broke through the window... and took mommy and daddy... he left red paint on the wall..."

Red paint... the girl doesn't realize what she just said. She saw her parents die in front of her.

"We're finished the body count," the detective moans as he returns. "Everyone in the village is dead. Body count matches the population... GODS DAMN IT!" The detective throws his pipe into the distance, catching some drybrush on fire.
    "This... girl. If the body count matches the population..."
    "Then she probably came from outside."

The girl looks up at the guards.

"She saw her parents die right in front of her, she can't be from anywhere else, she must be four years old-"
    "Then maybe there was a traveler or something. No matter what, she survived. We need to find out everything she knows!"
    "Very well. Young lady, come with us."

The guards and the detective took the girl to their barracks for questioning. The interrogation went rather poorly, with the guards not getting much information. Little did they know that, as they left the room, a smile broke across the child's face. They transformed into the form of one of the guards, remembering the shape of their key exactly, and opened the interrogation room door. The barracks went dark on that day, and once again, a single mark was left on a wall. The mark of a killer so merciless and cruel, so skilled and cunning, with a fickle form that can't be caught. And yet, those that did see him normally saw the same thing in their last moments, a towering monstrosity bearing down on them with enough force to kill them instantly.

The Horn is now an active character. Adventurers must use caution, for he could be anywhere... or anyone...
  • Great, another npc to slow everyone down and stop them from completing their character's big goal.

(JK, just poking fun at what's happening. Also, is it just me, or does the horn's symbol look like the upside down vault symbol from Borderlands 3?)
  • edited February 2020
    @Tommia

(After much consideration, I'm going to decide to see if I can find out where Timothy is before going to a different plane. How does the challenge work?)
  • edited February 2020
    @EpicBoss99 You'll need to make a card that could bypass Timothy's spiritual barrier (You will likely have to use a color that isn't in your identity). It could reveal hidden info, remove protection, abilities, and/or auras, or something else entirely!

In order to find Timothy's exact location, you must get a 15. Getting a 13 or higher will allow you to find what plane he's on. Anything lower will cause you to take damage.

Lastly, since you need such a high score, you will have a random chance of having up to 2 points added to your score.
  • We will continue the infiltration; I'll make sure that noone notices our espionage by drawing attention to myself.
  • Queue:

- A surprise... (No place in the queue)

- Bowler (PM)
    - MonkeyPirate2002
    - DrakeGladis (PM)
  • A suprise? I dunno man, seems kinda risky.
  • edited February 2020

The Arcanum was silent. All that remained on the streets was the occasional bit of trash, abandoned markets, and what remained of Niyan's fight with his parallel. Including... a skull. The skull of Ysa, the Grim Diviner.

On that fateful night, when Ysa flew desperately to deliver his last fortune, his gift of wisdom was passed on to the now late Niyan. Who would rise to claim the mantle now, now that the great detective was gone? Who would be the one who unraveled the mystery of the world?

The skull lie in the center of the street, covered in blood from the fight and a small stain of lantern oil, its grim smile remaining completely still. A chill of cold winter wind graced it, causing it to move slightly. But this wind... there was more to it. As though the winds of change had struck it. Unknown to all, to gods and mortals, Ysa foresaw the ill fate destined to shape this world. He willed to never directly interfere... but with his death, he was detached from that contract...

For he had been betrayed...

Slowly, the eyes of the skull began to glow as it rode the cold wind, whipping its way through the streets of the Arcanum. The skull caught aflame, laughing as it made its way to the city square...

"Arne, my dear, sweet child... I know what has become of you. I know your motivations and your machinations. I hope you are glad for what you did for the gods. I hope you find purpose in killing those you once called friends and family in the name of the powers that be. And I hope, for a moment, you thought you had it all. Then, you can at least die... happy."

A plume of bloody smoke erupted from the skull as it exploded, the pieces dancing around the smoke.

"I am no longer a messenger. The only thing I shall deliver... is death..."

Smoke and shadow became form. The twisted form of a betrayed demigod that died by the hands of his own son. This figure now bore a mask and wings, riding upon the air of death and decay. It saw the future, and it was prepared to spill every ounce of blood necessary to change it...

"Gaze upon me, and tell me... is the fate of this world so destined as you would believe... my child?"
    "Hmph. Impressive... Ysa," Arne's voice echoed in his head. "But you will never hear me address you as... father. In fact, you are no longer fit to address me as if we were equals. It is true that fate has changed, but I doubt it has changed in your favor..."

A twisted figure descended from above. Arne's white fur coat had been lost entirely, just as well as his humanity. What came down to greet the returned Ysa was no longer man or beast. It was something else entirely, standing three times higher than it did before...

"Are you happy... now that you have sold everything to become the monster I see before me?" Ysa questioned, curling in his talons.
    "My faith has been rewarded. I have achieved more than you could ever hope to. While you went on, babbling fortunes and not doing much else, I punished the wicked and damned all who stood in our way. Soon, you will join them, but entertain me first; how does it feel to realize the error of your ways? You questioned the gods, and now, you stand under my feet. I obeyed their fervent will, and now, I stand higher than your pathetic wings could ever carry you. You have failed... allow me to erase your mistake from this world one last time..."

• Queue for later, have to leave now

- MonkeyPirate2002
    - DrakeGladis (PM)
  • What about me?
  • @KorandAngels We're waiting for @EnvyReaper . I don't want to pull him in a direction without his permission, since he hasn't been afk long enough to become autonomous
  • @MonkeyPirate2002 As you and the group make your way through the ensuing chaos, it takes everything you have to avoid the culmination of falling orbs, holes being torn in the roof, and mass fighting that's broken out. Sheer anarchy sweeps over the rooftop, and people begin to lose track of friend and foe. Several of your allies fall, but you have no time to stop, dodging several attacks as you search frantically for the angel. You look, and out of the quarter of the eye, you see a stream of bright blue burning light cloaking... a dragon. It flashes in your mind. That's her. However, as you go to alert your allies, you are struck down by a stray swing from a scepter. You look up, and see a viashino fighting an elf.

"By the order of Khantsievth, you will stand down and surrender to our will!" The viashino snarls.
    "Zanletesh would have it otherwise. This is no longer your city..."

You quickly scramble to your feet, and you see her leaving, beating her wings in a flurry as though she were fleeing for her life. The sky opens above, a plume of light shining down, and she makes her escape to the Beyond.

You rolled a natural one for the angel's location. Better luck next time.

You look around for your allies, when Jerry sends you a message.

"K'Trinop! If you can hear this, we got separated! Right now we're three floors down! They're onto- AGH!"

You hear a chorus of screams, and hear booming laughter below.

"Kill them! Kill them all! With their bleeding, my thirst is quenched! With their deaths, my forces grow!"

Khantsievth.
    Suddenly, a massive plume of flame erupts from below, and a demon arrives on the rooftop.

"I never thought I would see the light of this world again... but perhaps, if these pathetic beings are willing to go to such an extent that you mortals would summon me, then maybe I'll pity you."

The demon towers over everyone on the rooftop, and sets its eyes on Zanletesh.

"Welcome back, traitor..." It mutters.
    "Did you enjoy your stay in Hell? Perchance, enough to want to return?" Zanletesh uncrosses his arms, and prepares to attack the demon.

What will you do, now that you have been separated from your allies, and now that Kia has fled the area?
  • I’ll fall back and find my allies. Being the aspect of rage does not mean I have to be blinded by it.
  • @KorandAngels @Tommia

"Very well then, now lets set off."
  • edited February 2020
    Queue (may not finish before I return to work)

- DrakeGladis
    - MonkeyPirate2002
    - Bowler
    - EnvyReaper + KorandAngels
  • @DrakeGladis As you fly with the angels, you keep towards the back as you prepare your spell.

The stalwart angel raises his blade to the sky, letting out a rallying cry. "Follow me! We will win this day!"

A chorus of shouts, praises, and prayers fills the air. You and your allies join them, if only to fit in. You are invigorated by the champion's aura, lifted with passion and purpose. Such a shame this power only makes you more certain, more zealously confident, that your plan will work.

As you follow the shining leader, you can see him in the distance; Wosy. He carries in his hand what appears to be another champion, and is talking to them as he flies.

"Damn that dragon! They've got Sprot's champion!"

The angel screams.

"Tell me! Where is that damned Decider-"
    "COME AT ME YOU TWISTED DEVIL! SHOW ME WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF!"

Wosy's attention is turned to the champion. You're ready to cast the spell, so you move away from the group, out of sight from even those below as you hide in a bell tower. An aura of hatred fills you as you cast the spell, and you hope it can reach Wosy in time.

"Where did that fireball come from?!"

You quickly rejoin the group, and the champion looks around. He doesn't even see you as you blend back in. The spell reaches Wosy in the champion's moment of distraction, and Wosy's flames suddenly roar. He lit up the sky before, but now, you almost have to look away as plumes of hellfire erupts from every pore of his body. He lets out a powerful bellow, loud enough to deafen everyone.

"Everyone! He's charging!"

The angels ready their weapons. You prepare to dodge, lifting your lance in case you need to block the incoming attack. Wosy sees you, and winks, smiling. A huge trail of smoke obscures everything as he bears down on the group, and the vortex of incoming fire is so great that even you are caught within. The crystal on your lance shields you as you descend, the angels above screaming, and you make your way back into hiding, this time in an alleyway. The champion falls, striking the ground nearby, and his armor has melted, along with his weapon and swathes of his skin and wings.

"As long as- Zythl- guides me... I will not- falter..."

The champion attempts to stand, but his arm snaps as the hellfire gnaws away at him, devouring every part of his being. His aura is gone, and all that remains of his face are exposed segments of his skull and very few defining features. Mutilated and motionless, the champion lets out the last breath he can before even his bones start to turn to ash.

"Kethar!" A bystander screams out, rushing towards him. You hear a few thuds behind you, and your allies have arrived. Thankfully they're okay.

"Didn't think yeh hadit in ya', captain," Dekin replies to the smoldering corpse.
    "What are we standing here for?" Sanova rushes. "We're drawing suspicion just standing here. We either work on these portals or start a riot!"

Suddenly, another body drops from the sky, followed by more. One of them is the champion from early. Sirens sound through the Beyond again, and this time, they're much louder, ringing rapidly.

"ATTENTION! ATTENTION! This is an emergency! The Beyond must be purged! It is readily apparent even our champions cannot take on the threat to our people, so we must interfere directly. You must leave as soon as possible, or risk being caught in the crossfire..."

Angels panic at the notification. An emergency?!

"We need to protect Johnathan!" You see two angels shielding a cherub, and the light is suddenly blocked as you hear the beating of wings. Fire consumes them, a heat so blistering you spontaneously combust. Thankfully, since the flame didn't strike you directly, you can extinguish yourself before the flames do any apparent harm.

@spookoops @DrakeGladis @sanjaya666 @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos You hear a crash in the distance, followed by a towering form rising in the distance. The form of a god.

It's readily apparent that the stakes just got a lot higher, and with everyone fleeing, you may draw attention by staying around. Who will focus on finding water for summoning pools, who will help create a diversion, and will anyone flee?
  • Sadly, I may not be able to get to anyone else tonight. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • @MonkeyPirate2002 You are infuriated as you watch the angel disappear. Such a coward, running away! But you don't allow your anger to get the best of you. You decide you should go back downstairs to check on your allies, and attempt to avoid the demon. However, as you attempt to flee the rooftop, you are struck by the demon's tail, and sent flying off the rooftop...

You try to steady yourself and levitate, but you can't as you crash into the ground. You are crushed under the feet of several elves charging towards the cathedral. You turn yourself ephemeral to avoid any further harm and slip your way through the crowd, when you are suddenly slung by the spinning wheels of a motorized carriage. It's pure chaos as you make your way back to the cathedral. Hopefully you don't get caught in it...

You make your way inside through a different entrance than before. A goblin's skull is smashed in by an orc. A leonin is locked in barehanded combat with a wolfkin, but it isn't an ally. The pointed tip of a scepter is driven through a demon by a vampire, and he takes a moment to drink the blood. You rush through as a devil's arm is broken by a werehound. An elf is kicked hard enough in the gut by a merfolk that they drop their blade, doubling over in pain, and once again dispersing your form.

You make it up a few floors, and you try to trace the location of your allies when you hear a voice.

"K'Trinop... help me... I'm on the fifth floor... inside an altar chamber... they're... going to kill me... the others... are dead..."

You rush to where you think the voice came from, but the cathedral is massive. You spend about ten minutes looking, but you can't find the chamber before you are confronted.

The demon wastes no time before it swings its blade your direction. Make a card to deal with it. Your target is 12.
  • @Tommia I shall create a diversion. Also, what kind of card should I create again?
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos In this case, just make a card to represent your diversion (what sort of chaos you'll create). The target is 10.

You could also choose to create a card representing looting, sabotage, or something else detrimental to the beyond. In this case your target is 13, and you'll make the mission easier on success.
  • @Tommia Uh, 13 what again, boss? 13 target permanents??
  • Thirteen as the total score.
  • @Tommia Here, a simple but potent control spell can do many wonderful chaos, in the right moment of course.

• edited February 2020
    Queue
    - @Bowler218 (will try to get to you by tonight)
    - KorandAngels + EnvyReaper
    - FLV/sanjaya
    - DrakeGladis
  • "This... is well above my paygrade. Spread out, make like you are leaving, and locate some summoning pools."
  • edited February 2020
    Update: Tired and Can't type. Will get to people when I can, but I only get about an hour to work with on the days I work
  • Got the day off, getting to everyone I can before I leave at 3.
This discussion has been closed.