Post your cards here. Actually see what others think.

Comments

• @TechXT
    Woah, you went waaay back! Thank you for the input.

Before posting a card of your own you must comment on the card immediately preceding you. In this case you need to comment on FangQuil's Passion Igniter.
  • edited March 2020
    Deleted
  • edited March 2020
    Deleted
  • Sorry I double-posted, and commented on an illegitimate card, I didn't notice that page 52 existed, so I thought the first comment disappeared.
  • @TechXT To elaborate on the point made by KorandAngels a little (well, the one that existed before he removed the comment), the wording is almost, but not quite right. It should be something like:

Pay 1 life, Sacrifice this enchantment: Target unblocked attacking creature becomes blocked and loses trample until end of turn.

You should probably be careful with using "becomes blocked". Many people find it a little confusing, as can be seen by KorandAngels' comment, and the fact that only three real cards ever used it can be considered a further sign of this. I'd recommend using this wording instead, though I acknowledge that it does change the function just a little:

Pay 1 life, Sacrifice this enchantment: Remove target attacking creature an opponent controls from combat.

Also, you're missing an "until end of turn" clause on the buff-on-attack ability. Hope this helps.
  • @TechXT, Really interesting how you've got a token enchantment. I like the theme that's going though.
    Thoughts?
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/brokad-the-insatiable
  • edited March 2020
    @Mir-151414 End step is two words. I think the card isn't too overpowered, but it's a bit boring to be a legendary creature. Also, you wrote the Food tokens out kinda weird. Anyway, that looks like a Giant Horror to me. Next up: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/porcupinal-swordsman and/or https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kobold-wildsummoner
  • @KorandAngels
    Left a fav. Porcupinal Swordsman is decently good, one thing though, it should be 'attacks each combat if able' not 'attacks each turn if able' minor detail.
    Kobold Wildsummoner it's ok, but a little boring.

Next up, give them a fav and/or leave a comment then post up to two of your own.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/covid-experiment-num-19
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/blazing-screecher
  • @Faiths_Guide : Ah I see. I am still learnin' the CardSmith ins and outs. Will do better!

@MemoryHead : Dang it, missing the "until EoT" on buffs is something I do often enough.
    Oh dang, I also went through a million wordings for the Tangle, settling on the "Block," but I forgot removing from combat! 
    Changin' it up!

• edited March 2020
    @Fantastickill7 I'll keep my comments on the silver-bordered COVID brief, so I'll just say that the word "contagious" (for the mechanic) needs to be italicised and that there should be a space on both sides of the long dash immediately following it. Very minor, but worth noting for visual quality.

Blazing Screecher seems like it's too strong for an uncommon in certain areas, especially when taking playability in limited formats like draft and sealed into account. A 4/1 flying haste just puts on too much pressure for four mana at uncommon, basically demanding an immediate answer. Its four power means it trades with the majority of five and six mana flying creatures that you'll see in limited, and the fact that it can be repurposed as removal or for a final push of burn damage is icing on the cake.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my card. Comment on it or give it a favorite, then post up to two of your own.

• @MemoryHead
    Thanks for the feedback, please take into account that it takes the tiniest of flying/reach creatures to kill Blazing Screecher.
  • edited March 2020
    Gave a favorite.

Couldn't get the image to work, so I'm just gonna post the link.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/objurgate
  • Might be a hair powerful. Free counterspells are always going to be scary. I do like the idea, however. And while it's convoke in colors that don't usually carry it, that hasn't stopped MtG from doing the same thing (remember in M14 when a bunch of black creatures had exalted?). I gave you a favorite just for the concept alone.

Most of the cards I've been making are based around my homebrew D&D set. Here's the most recent one, but it could realisitically go in any setting.

• @Level20GnollBard Why doesn't it effect sorceries? I think the effect isn't too OP, but the Power and Toughness are a bit too high to go with the ability. Next up:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/dhed-homarid-sanctifier
  • edited March 2020
    To answer your question, I'd debated on and off on what to grab. Initially the mechanic worked differently and required the sorcery to be cast at instant speed in order to get any use of it. I felt that was too powerful, so I cut sorceries out. Then I changed the mechanic entirely. As it is now, sorceries are fine, so i put those back in. I also upped the casting cost so she's now 3UU.

As for your card, really neat, though temporarily stealing creatures is more a red ability, though I guess it could work for blue too. You get a favorite.

(quick edit to up the cost of her ability)
  • Like the card. Looks like it could easily enable a few interesting archetypes. I'm personally imagining a modern/legacy deck using this, timesifter, and salvage titan/other high cmc artifact payoffs.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/baleful-dracolich-1

Meant to be a combination of Demon of Death's Gate and Pearl Lake Ancient
    Demon: https://scryfall.com/card/m11/92/demon-of-deaths-gate
    Ancient: https://scryfall.com/card/ktk/49/pearl-lake-ancient

In theory, the alternate cost would add up quickly as you return it to your hand enough times, but there's a very large chance that I'm missing something here.
  • Not a card I think would see a lot of play in Standard, but VERY scary if you see it in a draft. If your opponent doesn't have a way to answer it, it wins you the game, and even if they do, you can just bounce it. Looks good!

I'm aware mana dorks are usually green's thing, but red has a few, and I put some restrictions on this one so it's not a red Llanowar Elves.
  • I have cards I want to post, but I don't want this to just alternate between the two of us.
  • In that case:
    Thoughts on the Miner were left as a comment previously as I'm in a similar boat to Konrad.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/brushwood-pyre-1

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/norwood-griff

The main concern I have is with getting the numbers right with Brushwood Pyre so it's at the right power and CMC.
  • edited March 2020
    My name is not Konrad. It is the three words, Kor And Angels.
  • @Roll4Arcana Get my name right. Brushwood Pyre is just a sorcery that deal 6 damage to any target. As for that Griffin, It seems balanced but I don't like instants very much. Next up: (Text only card)
    La'ayiv, Timeshifted                     4ww
     Legendary creature-Incarnation
    Phasing
    Whenever you would cast a blue spell, you lose the game.
    rgbw, (Tap): Target creature phases out.
  • @TechXT Wow! This is a really strong green card, but it also looks fun to play with. It kind of reminds me of the card questing beast in a way, except you pay for each ability individually. I like that it enters with a Tangle token (really interesting and creative idea for a token btw) and can fuel itself from attacking and gain trample for small blockers or hexproof to dodge removel at instant speed. This card would be incredibly OP, but the mana cost being 2GGG really helps keep it balanced.

Overall, A very cool, fun. and unique card @TechXt. Thank you for sharing.

Alright, Up next, What do you all think?

Constant WarringKholgumas Plane Killer
  • @Liwg ;
    You missed this entire page.  Currently, it is @KorandAngels card that is up for review.  Once you have commented on that, then I will be glad to attempt to critique your work, but for now, it should wait until we have dealt with La'ayiv, Timeshifted
  • oh. oops my bad. I'll fix that.

• @KorandAngels. Wow! This is a very interesting card. That downside is pretty scary too, but I guess running counterspells would make it completely broken. I like that it requires every other color in order to activate it, but with a cost of RGBW and a steep downside for any blue spells, shouldn't it be able to phase out more than one permanent or even have the ability not tap it? Idk, maybe that would make it too good at that point, just my thoughts.

Overall, a very interesting and cool card @KorandAngels
  • @TechXT, clever design with Tangle. Maybe the Tangle token should pay mana rather than pay 1 life to stay inside Green's mechanical color pie. Also is Bramblesire's bonus permanent or temporary?

• edited March 2020
    @Temurzoa I've got a sneaking suspicion that you've missed the most recent page. The current cards so far as I can tell are Liwg's Constant Warring and Kholgumas, Plane Killer.
  • @Temurzoa, I would recommend that you change the wording on Oglimoch's tap ability.  "T: Put a spore counter on up to two target permanents."  It seems more in line with the normal wording on such cards, and unless I am wrong and you cannot target the same permanent twice, you don't lose any effect.  I also would recommend changing it from permanents becoming a forest to nonland permanents becoming a 1/1 saproling.  It seems more flavorfully correct as well as a bit more balanced.

@Liwg, Kholgumas is just busted.  Five mana for an 8/8 that destroys all permanents when it has even a little synergy with a deck? It wipes out lands!  I'm not quite sure what you were thinking when you made that.  Also, you should probably note that "landwalking" is the wrong way to phrase that, and that landwalk in general is a 9 on the storm scale.
    As for Constant Warring...  It is a good concept.  I think you should raise the blank mana one, and that you should make it a legendary enchantment.  Also, note that the "another creature" terminology is used to indicate "a creature other than this one", meaning that you should use "Whenever a creature dies..."  I really think this will quickly end the game though.  Unless your creatures are huge and/or vigilance, the first player to swing is most likely the loser from how combat works.  I swing with all, you block the annoying ones, then I'm tapped out and you swing in for all.  I can't block, and then I attack you who cannot block....

Anyway, that is my opinion on both of your works.  Next up:

and 

Both of these are new instant types, and I'm interested to see what I've done wrong with them what everyone thinks.
  • edited March 2020
    @DrakeGladis I feel like Chorus doesn't work as the card's type and that the reminder text should just be part of the card. Song of Retaliation is very impactful, but it isn't really overpowered because it's legendary. Next up: 
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/laayivs-glinting-eyes
  • @KorandAngels While I see what you're going for, there are a few mechanical and balance-related flaws. I'll try to cover them and how you might fix them as best I can, so here goes:

- To quote the rules:
    ----------------------------
    702.25f When a permanent phases out, any Auras, Equipment, or Fortifications attached to that permanent phase out at the same time. This alternate way of phasing out is known as phasing out “indirectly.” An Aura, Equipment, or Fortification that phased out indirectly won’t phase in by itself, but instead phases in along with the permanent it’s attached to.
    ----------------------------
    This means that when the creature La'ayiv's Glinting Eyes is enchanting is phased out, so will the aura. As it then no longer exists, the final ability won't be able to return the card to your hand.

- 
    My second point about the card (functioning as intended, not with the current phasing issue) is its power level. If I were playing blue, I could use Teferi's Curse to grant phasing for one less colored mana and without the legendary status (meaning I can have multiples in play at once) and it wouldn't demand that I reinvest mana every turn to recast. If I was willing to spend mana, Vanishing could phase out the creature every turn (stopping it from existing altogether instead of every other turn). If I wanted constellation triggers and to force my opponent to pay mana while stopping the whole phasing thing (though I'll admit that this card takes a turn to work), I could use Mark of Eviction.

While all of those are in blue (perhaps showing that this isn't correctly placed in the color pie), white would often be better off with an Arrest or Oblivion Ring. All of this should, I hope, have illustrated the need of this card to be made more powerful. Ignoring the whole "Phasing is mono-blue with the occasional green card in the real cards that have used it" thing, I'd recommend making it this to keep as close to the current design as possible:

La'ayiv's Glinting Eyes          W
    Legendary Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has phasing.
    Whenever enchanted creature phases in, return ~ to its owner's [you've got controller on the current version, which doesn't fit the rules] hand.

In all honesty, though, I'd probably recommend some sort of greater change to move it away from this premise somewhat. It's just not powerful or useful.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my card. Give it a favorite and / or some sort of feedback, then post up to two cards of your own.