Designer's Gauntlet [Week 4] - Arting is Such Sweet Sorrow

13»

Comments

• @TheCenterOfTheUniverse @LyndonF

I love how both of you made sagas! That was really creative!
  • Not to be impatient, but when can we be expecting the results?
  • ^Right now, turns out!

This week proved to be an tricky week to judge. Each submission generally had one or two particularly solid designs that used the art well. By that same token, each of those submissions also had one or two less exemplary inclusions, cards that didn't connect with the art or just weren't well-balanced for their proposed environment. So, our deliberation really came down to "which submissions had the highest highs and the most passable lows?" There wasn't a slam dunk, but several entries were quite close in our minds. I'd encourage you to reach out for your personal feedback as we unfortunately don't have the space to publish it all here.

Without further ado, here are this week's winners:

@shadow123 @bnew07 @spookoops @TheCenterOfTheUniverse
    @Ranshi @Ilmarinen @LyndonF @Shadaar

What we found more interesting (and hopefully more entertaining) is how each art piece was used. Since everyone had the same pool of art to choose from, we were able to really enjoy how folks had different takes on the same resources. Since I think this helps highlight what we enjoy as judges, here are our favorites uses of each art with commentary:

Art #1 - Retreating Volley by spookoops
    LL: I don’t think I’ve seen this design concept used before, very clever!
    DK: … for as long as it remains exiled, but clever! I appreciate how this acknowledges the archer facing backward in title. I would have liked to see 'retreating' play more into it though.

Art #2 - Samurai Idol by LyndonF
    LL: Clever twist on Guardian Idol, and great use of the art.
    DK: The heavy grayscale can really push toward artifacts and I think this is a great execution on that. I could see this at 3 to activate since it’s functionally a 3/3.

Art #3 - Decipher the Nyxweave by bnew07
    DK: We're in that zone of either disappointingly weak or absurdly powerful and I'm not quite sure which this is most of the time. This was the least used art but I felt this execution best leaned into the ethereal, broad-stroke nature of this work.
    LL: I wish this had some alternative effect like self-mill in case you have been tormod’s crypt’d. Or exiled most/all of your graveyard for escape… then topdeck this. Maybe at rare these concerns are unfounded but something to watch out for.

Art #4 - Blessed Resistance by shadow123
    LL: I think the more appropriate wording for an almost identical effect would be “whenever [Blessed Resistance or another] a nontoken white permanent enters the battlefield under your control,” however this is very cool design space. This immediately begs the question for many players “does this see itself increase my devotion?”
    DK: Drawing in on the two center characters really helps with the 'devotion' feel as the palate of the whole work is really dark. I also like that the multiple creatures point to the token creation.

Defying Odds by @Potato13
    LL: Not even the downside like Hex of sometimes having to target your own creatures? This truly is at a miraculous power level. Clever use of the artwork!
    DK: Way too strong. That said, I really like this play on the artwork by representing either the two characters in the middle or the encroaching horde destroying them. The name gives away the miracle though, I think a more neutral title would have drawn this together better.

Art #5 - Woodwatch Ranger by TheCenterOfTheUniverse
    LL: Repeatable Recross the Paths on a hexproof flier feels very strong. In EDH I’m not too worried though, neat design!
    DK: Small note, I’d like to see her whole head in frame. I don't usually buy hexproof on these but I can appreciate the tie-in with the camouflage coat.

Art #6 - Flametongue Tachi by spookoops
    LL: The sword doesn’t touch but it Flame Slashes?? I see what you did there.
    DK: Nice. I really like this cropping of the art to highlight the unique thing. It's a bit low-res for publishing perhaps, but it evokes what you're after.

Art #7 - The Great Spirit’s Awakening by TheCenterOfTheUniverse
    DK: I like this art on a saga. The vertical framing help capture the scale and tone of the work well. I'm not sure this is the proper value for three turns of Oracle of Mul Daya then the Awakened Amalgam you end up with.

Search for Truth by @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos ;(DomriKade's Favorite!)
    DK: GU is my favorite color pair for this art - the gold border really makes it pop with the character's skin tone. This is also sweet effect that I would love to play.

Art #8 - Shadow’s Embrace by bnew07
    DK: Fantastic design. Well done. I could see this at 4 for balance, though this is the uncanny valley of being quite strong at 3 and maybe too expensive at 4. It really plays into the duality of the art also, where it could either be the shadow consuming the hoplite or the light driving the dark out.
    LL: My favorite of yours this week.

Finally, @TerryTags - Eihei, the Stone Fang was LuckyLooter's Favorite this week!

There was so much to say this week but, like I said earlier, we can't say it all here. Please message either or both of us - we'd be glad to discuss your entries more if you'd like!

Week 5 is just around the corner. See you soon!

• I- I won this round? Yay! Congrats to all the winners!

@DomriKade Could I get feedback on my three other entries? Thanks so much! I'm definitely enjoying this contest!
  • Congrats to the other @winners!
  • Congrats to all the other @winners! And thank you again for putting on this contest @DomriKade @LuckyLooter!
  • Congrats to @shadow123 and other @winners!
This discussion has been closed.