Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Think he means in between first strike and regular. @FangQuil @MrRansom @Corwinnn

@FangQuil : Channel is the same as @Animist 's Painborn (which is better IMO).

So Inexorable dudes can still be destroyed regularly (like damage and things that say destroy)?

My favorite one in there, @FangQuil , is Flux for sure.
  • @Faiths_Guide no, Inexorbiable is basically, a cross between Indestructable and Hexproof with the added benefit/downside of not being able to be sacrificed. (less than hexproof by virtue of not being able to block non-enchantments.)
  • @stormbreath, well it doesn't say it can't be destroyed, so it can. Also it doesn't say that damage doesn't kill it, only toughness reduction -0/-X doesn't.
  • Flux {cost} (You may cast this spell for its Flux cost. If you do, its target is chosen at random.)
  • @Gelectrode
    Flux was used just above, though I like yours as well.
  • @MrRansom, @Corwinnn Stagnant strike is AFTER normal damage, like if the creature it was blocking/blocked had first strike.

@Faiths_Guide Thanks, Flux was one of my first mechanics. I know @Animist made a similar mechanic, but I'm just putting up the mechanics I've made.
  • @Corwinnn, @MrRansom

"...After creatures without stagnant strike."

Maybe?
  • Well, let's break it down....
    We have
    Double strike - (A creature with double strike deals both first-strike and regular combat damage.)
    First strike - (This creature deals combat damage before creatures without first strike.)
    Regular combat damage - (Self explanatory.)
    Stagnant strike - (This creature deals combat damage after creatures without stagnant strike.)

That could work.
  • Shielded (Deathtouch does not kill this creature.)

Forged {?} (You may summon this creature spell for it's forged cost. If you do, it is an artifact and loses all other typed)

Health hit (When this creature is dealt damage, you gain life equal to the amount of damage taken.)

• @ZendikarINcarnate, if I may, here is a tweaked version of Shielded.
    Shielded (Prevent all damage dealt to this creature by sources with deathtouch.)
  • Here's an Idea:

Godtouched (when this card is affected by an enchantment, X) theros block based idea.

and

Khansworn(as long as you control a legendary creature that shares a color and creature type with this card, X) Kamigawa based block idea.

Try and make block-based keywords for all blocks! these are the easiest!
  • edited February 2016
    @stormbreath, can you make a card with Godtouched as an example? I'm not sure I get it, but I like the concept.
  • @Suicidal_Diety, @Corwinnn It is supposed to be after creatures WITHOUT Stagnant strike, I just wrote it wrong. :D
  • Here, @MrRansom:

Warrior of the gods
    3ww
    Creature-Human Warrior
    First strike
    Godtouched- whenever this card is affected by and enchantment, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.(an enchantment does not have to target this card in order to affect this card, but continuos effects only trigger Godtouched once.)
  • distort x(put up to x +1/-1 counters on a creature you control)

here's a card http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/midnight-ninja?list=user
  • Synapse (Other Tyranid creatures you control get +1/+1.)
  • edited March 2016
    @Cyborgskeleton and I co-created "Relicbind"

Relicbind [cost] ([cost], Exile this card from your hand: When target noncreature artifact is destroyed, put this card from exile onto the battlefield under the control of that artifact's controller.)

Technical notes :

- Relicbind should be found on creature cards with the following types (in alhpabetic order) : Avatar, Demon, Devil, Djinn, Gremlin, Spirit. Beyond those, it *could* be found on other creature types, if there's a strong flavor argument.

- The upsides of the mechanic: sidesteps most counterspells, is an alternate (cheaper) way to cast creatures, and is a semi-flexible way to give other players your creatures (they could have nasty upkeep costs, or maybe just as politics in EDH) while maintaining the ability to play them under your control (unlike Sleeper Agent, for example).

- The downsides: there must be a noncreature artifact on the battlefield in order to activate the relicbind ability (the term "bind" is/should never be used), you will lose your creature to exile completely if the artifact that you target is destroyed before the relicbind ability resolves, and - of course, the artifact needs to be destroyed for the creature to "break out" - exiling, bouncing, tucking, shuffling back into library... none of those would work.

- Those downsides are very severe. That means the relicbind cost can - on average - be 3-to-4 mana *less* than that creature would otherwise typically cost. A Mahamoti Djinn (5/6 flying) can have a relicbind cost of (u)(u)! A Serra Angel could potentially have a relicbind cost of one white mana!

- Creatures cards with relicbind don't need to have *no* casting cost. If you choose not to include one, the relicbind cost can be reduced further still (because it would be your only way to "cast" it).

*Edit - It is not advised to make powerful creatures without mana-costs (Power/Toughness-wise, but also that have great triggers, or other insane effects), because they can be abused with effects such as Collected Company, Rally the Ancestors, and cards along those lines. So be sure to include a regular (though inflated) casting cost.

- Creatures cards with relicbind should - on average - have a hard converted mana cost of 1-to-2 mana *more* than that creature would otherwise typically cost.

- You can get creative, and include abilities such as "When ~this~ enters the battlefield from exile, do such and such."

Joke notes:

- This mechanic will cause "Mishra's Bauble" to spike to (even more) ridiculous prices.

- If you relicbind a Djinn to "Aladdin's Lamp", and successfully break it out, the controller of Aladdin's Lamp gets to cast a copy of the card "Three Wishes", for free. :p

(For flavor notes, ask cyborgskeleton :p)

This isn't an official card with the final version of the mechanic - but the comments section was where we discussed it.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/damp-cave-lillithid

• Here are two mechanics by TheFriendlyGeek
    Marshal -- All other tapped creatures don't untap during their owner's untap steps as long as you control 4 or more creatures.
    and
    Avalanche (Whenever a creature is tapped, it deals 1 damage to its controller.)
    As seen on this here card
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/challenger-of-the-frost-sword?list=user
  • Exilespawn- (Mana cost) You may play this card from exile for it's Exilespawn cost. (This effect is only used on creatures.)

Shatter- (Mana cost) You may play this card for it's shatter cost. If you do, it's a sorcery with __________.

Low walker -This creature cannot be blocked by creatures with flying.
  • edited March 2016
    Feel free to use any, crediting me isn't always necessary but it's nice :)

Aligned - If the number of cards in your hand is equal to or greater than this creature's converted mana cost, *effect*.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/troll-quietist-1?list=user

Bloodletting {n} (Activating this permanent's abilities costs {n} life unless a creature died this turn.)
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/orphaned-bloodletter?list=user

Dream {n} (You may pay an additional {n} as you cast this spell. If you do, name another non-land, non-token permanent.)
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/engulfing-nightmare-1?list=user

Dreameweave - Whenever a named permanent enters the battlefield, *effect*. (Named permanents are any permanents named by effects or abilities.)
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/shadow-lynx-ambush?list=user

• @saveria201, @ZendikarIncarnate, @Lord_Shaxx - If you have cards with the mechanic on it, it would be very helpful to have a link!
    XD
  • @saveria201 - You're a rock star!
  • Filch N (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw N cards.)

Averynn, Hired Thief

(Created cause of this challenge: http://forums.mtgcardsmith.com/discussion/1348/old-ability-new-keyword#latest )
  • edited April 2016
    Updating mine:
    Legacy # (When this creature leaves the battlefield, put # copies of it onto the battlefield without this ability.)

Parasitism (When this creature enters the battlefield, exile a creature from your hand if this was it from your hand. When this creature leaves the battlefield, put X copies of it on the battlefield, where X is the toughness of exiled creature.)

Unthinking- (Creature name) must attack every turn if able. Whenever it attacks, (positive effect).

Outwit- (Creature name) (positive effect) if blocking or blocked by a creature that doesn't share a creature type with it.

(Landtype)voice - Whenever a (landtype) enters the battlefield, (positive effect).

(Active): Entomb #(Exile target creature from a graveyard until # cards have entered graveyards from anywhere)

Timer #(This (permanent type) enters the battlefield with # fuse counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fuse counter from this (permanent type) and lose X life, where X is the number of fuse counters on this (permanent type)
    This would be accompanied by a "When this (permanent type) has no fuse counters on it, (large effect)."

Instability(At the beginning of your upkeep, pay any amount of mana. This creature's power and toughness become equal to that amount. This creature cannot have counters placed on it.)

Ascendancy #- If this creature's power is greater than it was the turn before this one by at least #, (permanent positive effect). Otherwise, it loses all the effects of this ability.

(Creaturetype) Outcast (This creature cannot block or be blocked by other (creaturetype) creatures.)

Imperfect (Creaturetype) (When a non-Mutant, non-Horror (creaturetype) creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice this creature. If the creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, exile this creature instead.)

Purity (This creature cannot be targeted by non-white spells or abilities. This creature cannot have counters placed on it.)

Entangle # (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may cast up to # sorceries from your hand without paying their mana costs.)

(Active): Splinter # (Place a copy of this creature on the battlefield, then place # -1/-1 counters on all creatures that share a name with it.

Rampage # (Whenever this creature attacks and is not blocked by # or more creatures, the defending player loses life equal to its power.)
    I did accidentally use Rampage for two different effects, but I like this one better.
    The other, as improperly formatted it was, can be found here:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rampaging-wurm?list=user

Bounty # (When this creature dies, place # +1/+1 counters on all creatures that dealt damage to it this turn.)

Edit: Forgot a couple.

(Creaturetype) Affiliation- If the (targeted/affected) creature was a (creaturetype), (positive effect).

Recall (Cost) (You may cast this spell from the graveyard for its mana cost plus (cost) for every time a spell named (card name) has been cast by you this game.)

Here's examples
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/liftinggravity/sets/8536?page=1

Edit (Again): Made a new one.

Chant (All other players cast a copy of this spell.)

^Looking back, this makes an endless chain with itself, so it should probably have "without this effect" tacked onto it...

Edit (Again again): Same as last time.

Terminus # (This (permanenttype) enters the battlefield with # time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. If you cannot do so, sacrifice it.)

This is accompanied by a "When this (permanenttype) dies/is destroyed, (effect)." and it's meant to be a major event, such as the example I put in the example set, but it doesn't necessarily have to be as huge.