The Hardest Contest Ever - See Prizes

Hello everyone!

In honor of our new hybrid borders (for premium members, at least), I wanted to make a contest about cards with hybrid mana. Some of my favorite cards in Magic are the hybrid mana 1cmc cards. Things like Dryad Militant, Edge of Divinity, Figure of Destiny and Nivmagus Elemental are all great cards. So it got me thinking, what is the strongest card you can make for one hybrid mana that can still be fair?

Veteran cardsmiths should be shaking in their boots. Balance is one of the toughest things to do for a card, especially when you're at the edge of overpowered and even more so when you're working with very low-cost cards.

=Rules=

1) Make the most powerful card you can that is fair (would not get banned or restricted in modern)
2) The card must cost 1cmc and use 1 hybrid mana (any color pair)
3) The card can be any type
4) Must be a realistic card
5) Two entries per person (you can edit and change them until the contest ends)
6) Use hybrid borders if you have them, gold if not.

=Judging=

Since balance is a little bit subjective, I will not penalize someone if I think their card is a little bit overpowered. Cards will be judged on creativity, usefulness and of course, balance. I will not be giving my opinion on the balance of entries until the contest is over but I highly suggest you consult and work with other cardsmiths if you aren't sure about whether or not your card is too powerful. In fact, even if you think it is fine, it is still a good idea to run it by other people.

=Prizes=

Mini-draft!
For the top three cardsmiths, I will open three packs of SOI (maybe EMA...?). Starting with 1st place, then 2nd, then 3rd, each of the winners will pick a card from the pool made from the open packs until each smith has 5 cards. The winners will have their picked cards sent to them!

To be eligible for this prize, you have to live in the continental US and be at least 14 years old. If you aren't you can choose another competitor to draft in your place and I will work out an alternative prize for you.

Please vote on what packs you are interested in having in the draft rewards here: http://www.strawpoll.me/10555935

Deadline

Monday, July 11th
Judging will be done by Friday, July 15th.

Let me know if you have any questions about the rules and happy smithing!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.