Flavor Text Challenge

Hello
English is not my mother language and I am not really good at writing flavor texts.
Here is a card (actually a functional reprint of Runeclaw Bear) that definitly needs one:

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/unmatched-fencer?list=user#.VVZmiY7tmko

You don't have to make a card for this challenge, only find a cool flavor text that fits in the textbox.

The winner will get 5 favorits and comments on the cards of their choice.

Deadline is 23 may.
Good luck!

Comments

• This blade I command, is the source of my pride.
    You shall witness firsthand, why it's known worldwide.

To understand why you lost, you need to first understand that you had no chance.

The pen is not mightier than the sword, for the pen and the sword are the same thing. The only difference is the sword scribes in the blood of the defeated.

The sword is merely a pen that writes its tales in the memories of the fallen.

My skill is not unbeatable. You're just to small to fathom that idea.

Your pride left you defeated long before my sword ever did.

I would suggest training before trying that again, unfortunately, even elves don't live that long.

My people need my blade. No matter how much they condemn what I do, I am a necessary evil.

Forever shall my name be written in the lore of my people.

My adventures are countless, my stories unimaginable. The notches on my sword recount insurmountable tales that will inspire generations to come.

I don't know if what I am doing is right. All I know is that what I do, is right for my people.

The only dance I know, is the ballet between my blade and me.

I am viewed as less sophisticated because I took up the sword instead of the pen. But how can you defend your family against the savagery of the world with a pen?

Just for starters, ha ha.
  • edited May 2015
    "I'm not going to hurt you. If I wanted you dead, you would know, because you would already be very, very dead."

A sharp tongue and a sharper wit. But neither as sharp as her blade.

"If the pen is mightier than the sword, how did I kill all those wizards?"

"You have three seconds to convince me that I shouldn't chop you into an exceptionally large number of exceptionally small pieces. Use them well."

"When it comes to fighting mages, I have only this to say: scissors beats paper."

"Best of luck. You'll need it."
  • "Hello, My name is Inigio Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"I feel I must warn you. You won't fare much better than your friends here did."

"Do me a favor. Put up a better fight than these two."

"I couldn't tell you sheriff. I just got here, and these two were just laying there. That one? Oh, he was in pain and he asked me to help him out, so I did."
  • She's considering signing up for an elven dating service
  • "The road between Drana and Opit is a dangerous one, feel free to go alone, just don't expect to get there in one piece without me"
  • You came up with a lot of nice ideas, it surely will be hard to choose a winner !
  • edited May 2015
    ''if you need help don't ask me because I'm a champion and champions don't need help''

''when someone dies it is usually thought of as a sad thing, but I think it is opportunity to learn not to make their mistakes''

''if you want to fight me than do so, but don't blame me if you run home crying''

''staying alive is a key factor of greatness, but I think it is also a key factor of happiness, and you don't seem to have any happiness, so you will simply have to die''

• how do you get the italics?
  • You just rub the screen until the letters shift
  • or... you can type this in front of and behind your text
    < i >Text goes here< /i >
    Except you take out the spaces inside of these<>
  • edited May 2015
    "You appear to have a blade to your throat. Oh, is that mine?"

"I have been known to hunt boars, but you, sir, are too much of a swine for even I."

"Mages always claim to be able to best me. I don't think they realize how hard it is to finish incantations without a tongue."

"I always duel to the death. So, what does me standing before you tell you?"

There are rumors of an elf killing drunkards in the forest. Any capture attempt only leads to the discovery of broken blades and more bodies.

Some fencers have to resort to scandalous means to survive. She isn't one of them.

"Why shoot at something when you can hop on its back and ride it down?"
  • "I am the best of the best. My opponents are boring. I will go for the challenge.
    Tonight, I will slay the slayer.
    I will slay Garruk."

Buried deep inside everyone, there is a fatal flaw.
    One that will eventually steal their soul.
    Usually, it surfaces early.
    In this case, it has not.
    She has no fatal flaw, so therefore, the is unbeatable.
  • When you dance with a dragon, sometimes you're the scorch mark, and sometimes you're scorching skewered dragon. Have you ever danced with dragon in your belly? There's nothing like it, I promise you.
  • edited May 2015
    Hatred is the curious feeling of being forced to deeply care about something you really don't want to care about at all.

"'Droogat, lend me some brain-tissue!', 'Droogat, gut up those trespassers!'... It's like no-one even cares it's my birthday today."

The last thing she'd ever see was her reflection blink.

"The world didn't allow you to be born important, but I shall at least allow you to die that way."
    -Baron Sengir

Scars aren't proof of one's experience as much as a map of one's weakness.

What history books call the "Grand Disaster of 116" finds mention in an alchemist's journal as "a learning expirience".

"A less honest person would compliment you on that."

"Rylron always loved playing with the drakes. I miss him."

You're just one sip of it away from trying to smooch a minotaur.

"You really ran into that. Partly because I pushed you - but still."

A wyvern needs to fear only what's too simple to fear it back. The ground, for instance.

"I envy your insignificance."

Br'dglft was never good with people.

"You're about as interesting as a lump of coal and you're about
    to be a lump of coal unless you work on that."

Her name loosely translates as "
    waste of arrows".

"No" doesn't even begin to cover it.

You don't have to worry about enraging a serpent - they come that way.

There's no such thing as a 'fair' fight between smart combattants.

"You are of course entitled your own opinion on the matter. Also, you're wrong."

The answer to many great questions is forgetting you ever asked.

"It's not necessarily a dangerous hobby, but if you're keen on seeing your fifteenth birthday with both your eyes, I wouldn't recommend it."

"If you fall, as does the bastion. The consecquence to draw from this is simple: You
    won't. If you die, walk it off!"

"A dragon is merely an egg's way of making another egg."
    -Glork, goblin philosopher

Dreaming about it isn't bad.
    It dreaming about you on the other hand probably means you'll need a new brain sometime soon.

Being unbeatable is all about which battles you choose not to fight.

"Trying to tear down an empire with just an axe would be foolish. So I brought two."
  • @chairforce . I must say I like all of those but they don't always fir with the card. I really like the alternate Davvol quote .
  • Hahaha There really are funny ones. I think I will use some of them for other cards too!
  • 1 The graphics were bad, but she slayed those crocodiles none the less.

2 "It's as simple as thinking really."

3 Slaying monsters really isn't a challenge, just a sport.
  • @JaceandRudi
    In which I spectacularily demonstrate to be an ignorant and a doof; I just read "Flavortext challenge" and copy-pasted my flavor.txt container without a second thought...
    I am sinking through the ground in shame right now.
    The first barrage of rotten tomatoes is on the house :V

(It's cool someone recognizes Carnival's flavortext, though.)
  • edited May 2015
    The finished card :
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/unmatched-fencer-1#.VWCSgo7tmko

It's a mix of @Suicidal_Deity and @liftinggravity ideas. Since you both won, you'll share the price : Each of you can get up to three favorites on comments on cards of your choice!

It was really hard to choose since they were so many good entries.

So here I copied my favorite flavor texts, as you can see, there are a lot:

Suicidal Deity
    To understand why you lost, you need to first understand that you had no chance.
    The pen is not mightier than the sword, for the pen and the sword are the same thing. The only difference is the sword scribes in the blood of the defeated.
    The sword is merely a pen that writes its tales in the memories of the fallen.

Corvinnn
    "Do me a favor. Put up a better fight than these two."
    "I couldn't tell you sheriff. I just got here, and these two were just laying there. That one? Oh, he was in pain and he asked me to help him out, so I did."

Lifting gravity
    "Mages always claim to be able to best me. I don't think they realize how hard it is to finish incantations without a tongue."
    "There are rumors of an elf killing drunkards in the forest. Any capture attempt only leads to the discovery of broken blades and more bodies."

OberonOracle
    "The road between Drana and Opit is a dangerous one, feel free to go alone, just don't expect to get there in one piece without me"

Seanabit
    ''staying alive is a key factor of greatness, but I think it is also a key factor of happiness, and you don't seem to have any happiness, so you will simply have to die''

Gavin
    "I am the best of the best. My opponents are boring. I will go for the challenge.
    Tonight, I will slay the slayer.
    I will slay Garruk."

Special mention to chairforce for really nice flavor texts, that just don't fit with this card (but I will use them for other ones)
  • !!!! I made a mistake!!!! I am horrible sorry! The winners are Suicidal_Deity and @liftinggravity. You are the ones that can claim the prices! (I mixed you with Corvinnn)
  • You should be able to go in and edit the comment still, it's not too old
  • Yes, I did it, thanks
  • edited May 2015
    "Does anyone have any matches? I'd like to light this candle, but I am unmatched."
  • That's a good one... too bad you just missed it!
  • You got them
  • how do i write in italics?
  • The same way you do on cards < i > < / i > without the spaces
  • rub the screen
  • @Suicidal_Deity, don't forget to claim your price! The contest is now closed.
This discussion has been closed.