Token 'Type' Rulings

Hello, rules-minded friends. I've been working on an idea that involves the creation of a token but I don't think it wants to be an artifact, enchantment or creature. The mechanical impetus involves sacrificing a creature to acquire one of these tokens but I don't want it to become a creature (because it allows for the process to repeat). The question: Can you generate a token without specifying a type?

Ex - Keyword -- {t}: Sacrifice a creature. Create a [name] token.

According to the Comprehensive Rules 110.5b - The spell or ability that creates a token may define the values of any number of characteristics for the token. This becomes the token’s “text.” The characteristic values defined this way are functionally equivalent to the characteristic values that are printed on a card; for example, they define the token’s copiable values. A token doesn’t have any characteristics not defined by the spell or ability that created it.

Unfortunately, WotC just came out with Energy counters that seem to function in a similar way but I'm going to overlook that for now. This idea predates spoiler season... In any case, thanks in advance for consideration or thoughts.

Comments

• Before I read your last paragraph I was going to say "Why not just give yourself a counter of some kind, you know, like Kaladesh." Now I'm unsure what to say.

I suppose I could refer you to my previous card:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/gruesome-memorial

Doesn't even give the tokens names (though it may be better if it did?)
  • I'm a bit unsure what to say as well. It was honestly a bit disappointing to be developing this idea and see official product that hits such a similar axis.

In the case of Gruesome Memorial you do specify that the token is an enchantment (albeit nameless as you mentioned). In essence, I'm wondering if I can create a noncreature, nonartifact, nonenchantment, nonland token that isn't an emblem.
  • Well, this is MTGCardsmith, so, yes. However, it would be a bit vague...

I'd prefer what they've done in Kaladesh with named player counters to arbitrary tokens.
  • (Updated Memorial)
This discussion has been closed.