Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• @Faiths_Guide, Maybe your right... But people not liking Fateful Hour??? What???
  • @TrippleBoggey3
    I know, it's kindof cool! It just is so hard to utilize that people get upset when it doesn't work out.

I mean, look at mine. Without "hour" active it's just a 1/3 with flash and vigilance for {1}{w}{u}.
  • For orc tokens:
    Gather 1 (put a 1/1 black orc minion creature token onto the battlefield.)

Here's the set:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/account/sets/12780
  • Oh, and anyone can use it if they want :)
  • @Gavin
    If you post it in this forum, anyone can use it. That's what its for.
  • Banding

(Any creatures with banding, and up to one without, can attack in a band. Bands are blocked as a group. If any creatures with banding you control are blocking or being blocked by a creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.)

Example: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bands-of-the-mardu

Shhh... The new people will actually think I made it myself!
  • Here's a couple of mechanics I've made:

Hulk X (As long as this creature is the creature with highest base power on the battlefield, it gets +X/+X.)

Condemn (Tap this creature: Put a condemnation counter on target creature.) Then it can have abilities like 'Creatures with condemnation counters on them can't attack or block...' and so on.

Congregation - AS long as you control three or more other permanents that share a color with this permanent... You get a bonus.

Archive {A mana cost} (If you cast this spell for its archive cost, exile it instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, and it becomes archived.) For instant and sorcery spells, and then they have an effect like 'As long as this card is archived...Something happens'.

Consume {A mana cost} (If you cast this spell for its consume cost, return a non-land permanent you that shares a subtype with it to its owners hand as an additional cost to cast it.) Seems like a very Lorwyn/Tribal themed world mechnic, even if its very similar to champion.

Recoup {A mana cost} (Whenever this creature dies, you may pay its recoup cost. If you do, all of its enter the battlefield abilities trigger.) A bit dodgy, probably badly worded, and the worst on this list, but, hey, its an idea, a bad one yes, but still an idea.

Mutate {A mana cost} (You may cast this spell for its Mutation cost. If you do, its an Indestructible Artifact Insect creature with base power and toughness 0/1.)

Trove (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a colorless Treasure artifact token onto the battlefield with: 'Sacrifice this token: put a +1/+1 counter on target creature'.) A mechanic for pirates.

Corrupt X (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a corruption counter on this permanent. Then, if it has X or more Corruption counters on it, transform it.)
    A mechanic that would work well in Shadows/Eldritch Moon.

• For the latest zombie I made, I changed the existing Ninjutsu mechanic a little and think, it's quite useful:

Grave Ninjutsu N (N, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand:
    Put this card onto the battlefield from your graveyard tapped and attacking.)

Here the card, I've put it on:

Fell free to use it.
  • New mechanic idea: Reflex
    Reflex (You can only cast this spell only in response to a spell or ability an opponent controls.)
    A downside for instants or cards with flash.
  • edited September 2016
    Note: Feel free to use any of my mechanics. (a comment with credit would be nice though!)
    Innocent (This creature enters the battlefield with an innocent counter. As long as it has an innocent counter, it has protection from creatures. Whenever a creature dealt damage by [CARDNAME] this turn dies, remove an innocent counter from [CARDNAME].)
    A flavorful mechanic that could be used to have some a ability trigger when it doesn't have an innocent counter or to make it have an ability when it doesn't have an innocent counter.
  • Freezing (Whenever [CARDNAME] deals damage to a creature, tap that creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.)
  • Rouse (Whenever you or a creature you control is dealt damage, untap [CARDNAME])
    A triggered ability for a creature, good with tap abilities.
  • edited September 2016
    My primary Disrupt trinity is finally complete. (So now I can finally say that, no, it's not just a niche thing.)

image image image

I also have some Disrupt creatures planned. However, they are unprinted due to lack of artwork.
  • edited September 2016
    Here are a few new mechanics I posted elsewhere:

Warp: You get some benefit if you cast this card from your exiled zone (no special rules meaning).

Training [cost]: At the beginning of your end step, if this creature is untapped and you didn't attack with any creatures this turn, you may pay [cost]. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.

Exhume [mana amount[: Whenever you cast a spell, if this creature is in your graveyard, if the total mana you have spent on spells is at least [mana amount] and you haven't put a creature onto the battlefield with exhume this turn, you may put this creature onto the battlefield.

Chroma: If you paid this card's cost entirely with mana of this permanent's color, you get some benefit (no special rules meaning)

Energize: If this permanent would become untapped, if it's already untapped, it becomes energized. Permanents lose energized status at the end of any combat phase in which it attacked or blocked or when it activates an ability (losing energized status happens as the last part of the ability's resolution, so that you can make activated abilities that do something if the permanent is energized.

• edited September 2016
    Sparked (This creature may be attacked as though it were a Planeswalker.)

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/planeswalk-paladin

Ruling:

9/7/16: The creature still deals damage and receives damage even when being attacked.
    9/7/16: Damage dealt to the creature isn't permanent.

Lore behind this:

This would be a Planeswalker still not fully trained in the Planeswalker ways, but already stands out amongst others.

Feedback Please!!!
  • I have a set based on these two:
    Witness (When this card would enter your graveyard from the battlefield instead exile it. As long as this card is exiled, its abilities remain in effect as if
    it were on the battlefield. Anytime a Prophet enters the battlefield, this card leaves exile and is put into your graveyard.)

Secret Combination (Whenever a creature dies during the turn in which you cast this card from your hand, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature with Secret Combination. Pay {b}, Move up to two +1/+1 counters from this card to another creature with Secret Combination.)

http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/obsidianhoax/sets/13778
  • Assault (This creature can attack creatures it could block. Creatures being attacked cannot block creatures not attacking it.)

Secretive: Imprint, but the exiled card is face down.

Guardian N (When a creature you control with converted mana cost N or less dies, you may sacrifice this. If you do, return that card to the battlefield under your control.)

Entice N (Reveal this from your hand: Exile the top N cards of your library. This costs {x} less to cast this turn, where X is the total converted mana cost of the exiled cards. Activate this ability only once each turn.)

Mutated N (You may have this creature enter the battlefield with N -1/-1 counters on it. If you do, it it mutated.)
    Has an effect as long as it is mutated.
  • Card Mechanics I've been tampering with.

Trespass (cost) - cannot be blocked, deal direct damage to opponent disregarding blocking creatures

Overheat (cost) - creature gets +X/+X where X is the number of Mountains on the battlefield and cannot untap during next untap phase

Siege (cost) - can't attack without paying a mana cost

Tactical - when blocking, the attack and defense stat switches

Revenge - when this creature is sent from the graveyard by blocking, the attacking creature is exiled

Resurrect (cost) - when this creature is sent to the graveyard, you may pay the mana cost to put it back to the battlefield with a -2/-2 counter
  • And Some more Fab Mechanics:

Attention Deficit N (When this card enters the battlefield, add N to your mana pool; all other players and all other permanents have shroud until the end of the turn or until you use this mana to cast a spell.)

Omnipresence (At the beginning of your upkeep if this card is not in your hand or in you library, take it from any zone and put it on the top of your library. Then draw a card.)

Impalpability (This card is not included as a card in your hand when your hand is at the maximum card limit or higher.)

Albinism (This spell is white and can't have any other colors. This ability takes precedence over other rules and spells.)

Waver (You can only cast this spell if it would be affected or is affected by at least one active ability or enchantment already on the battlefield.)

Pander X (This spell costs X to cast, where X is the number of untapped lands you control. This must be the first spell you cast during your turn.)

Pungency (This creature can't be exiled by the ability called ingest. Instead, put it onto the battlefield with a -2/-2 counter on it.)

Perfection (This creature counters all other spells and abilities that would change its current types or colors. This creature is Perfect in addition to its other types.)

Improbable X (This spell is cast from your hand under your control without you having to pay its mana cost if any opponent taps exactly X for mana before their combat phase and hasn't tapped more by the beginning of their combat phase.)

Originality (If another permanent enters the battlefield with orginality, exile it instead.)
  • This is one I use.
    Floodtide N - when this spell is cast, or this creature attacks, put a flood counter on X target lands. They are Islamds in addition to their other types. They are also considered "Flooded"
  • edited September 2016
    Behold after strike! It is mostly a blue mechanic, (black and green are secondary.) Anyone may use it.

After strike (This creature deals damage after creatures without after strike.)

image image
    image image
  • edited September 2016
    Here's a bunch:

Vertigo [Cost] (You may cast this card from your graveyard transformed for its vertigo cost. Exile it as it resolves.)
    *Can only be used on transforming cards.

Evanescence (Whenever you activate a nonmana ability of another permanent you control, you may tap this permanent. If you do, you gain life equal to the converted mana cost of that ability.)

Swindle (When this permanent enters the battlefield, draw a card and reveal it. Target opponent loses life equal to that card's converted mana cost.)

Deny (Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, it gains shroud until end of turn.)

Frenzy (When this creature dies, if it has a counter on it, return it to the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn.)

Despair (When you cast this spell, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. Copy this spell for each creature sacrificed this way. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Void (You may pay {c} for every colored mana in this card's mana cost. If you do, this card has devoid.)

Trickster (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, you may switch that creature's power and toughness until end of turn.)

Thoughtrend (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to an opponent, exile the top card of that player's library. Until end of turn, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost.)

Painless (You gain 1 life for every 1 damage removed from this creature during your cleanup step)

Armory (This Equipment can be attached to multiple creatures simultaneously. The equip cost costs {1} more for each target beyond the first.)
    *Exclusive to Equipment cards

Glimmer (This Aura can be attached to multiple creatures simultaneously. This card costs {1} more to cast for each target beyond the first.)
    *Exclusive to Aura cards
  • Here's a multiplayer mechanic:

Trust of the Council — Each player votes for A or B at the same time. If you voted for A, for each A vote, [Effect 1]. If you voted for B, for each B vote, [Effect 2].

imageimage
  • Here are some that I came up with

Upgrade (Exile this creature. Target artifact creature gains all names and abilities of this creature. When that creature dies, return this card to the battlefield under your control.)

Rush {1} (You may cast this spell for its rush cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's sacrificed at the beginning of the next end step.)

Naturalization - If each player controls no artifacts, X happens

Battle Ready (When this Equipment enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Human creature token with haste onto the battlefield, then attach this Equipment to it.)

Startup X (This creature enters the battlefield with X delay counters on it. Remove a delay counter from it at the beginning of your upkeep)

• Here's a very simple one that I think no one has come up with yet:

Scar (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -0/-1 counters.)

And a weird one that will certainly change entire games if a deck was built around it:

Pacifism (This creature cannot attack. Whenever another creature is blocked by this creature, that creature gains pacifism.)
  • edited October 2016
    This mechanic is inspired by @epson777341 's mechanic "Assimilate"

Assimilate X (Whenever a creature with converted mana cost X or less dies, put a number of +1/+1 counters on this creature equal to that creature's toughness.)

See some of my other custom mechanics here: http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/kltmtg29/sets/13754
    Feel free to use them, wouldn't mind if you mentioned me though!
  • Bargain-Whenever this creature deals combat damage to an opponent, that opponent may prevent that combat damage by (insert condition).
  • edited October 2016
    Boisterous (Whenever this creature attacks, creatures with power less than this creatures can't block this turn.)

• @IanLowethal After Strike was designed as a theoretical mechanic by @MarkRosewater...