Official MTGAER Contest: 2017, Year of the Fire Rooster

A new year is upon us! In celebration, we're hosting a contest themed around the Year of the Fire Rooster. Who is a Fire Rooster? I'm glad you asked!

"Roosters possess powerful personalities and are notoriously dominant. In groups they are vivacious, amusing and popular. But Roosters can be conceited creatures, vain and boastful, with a strong egotistical need to constantly be the center of attention."

To win a top prize, you must design a legendary character (human or otherwise) or planeswalker with the above traits that would fit within the Magic universe. Bonus points for balance, realism, and of course flavor.

Prizes
- Grand Prize: Aether Revolt Bundle Box, 3 months Premium subscription
- 2nd Place: 6 Aether Revolt packs, 2 months Premium subscription
- 3rd place 3 Aether Revolt packs, 1 month Premium subscription

In addition, all participants will unlock a unique contest avatar for their MTG Cardsmith profile!

How to Enter:
Beginning January 11, post the card url in this thread to enter the contest. One submission per user, so make it count!
Entries must be posted by Jan. 28, 2017. Winners will be announced by Feb 10, 2017.

Eligibility - Entrants must be over the age of 13 to redeem prizes. Residents of the United States or Canada are eligible for physical prizes. Each entrant/address may only win one prize. Previous contest winning cards or featured cards are not eligible, sorry. Each entrant authorizes their card submission & username for contest and future promotional use by MTG Cardsmith. By following the contest entry steps listed here you agree to the terms and rules of the contest. Limit 1 entry per person.

Comments

• The ONE SUBMISSION rule also means NO EDITS. So don't post it until you're completely happy with it!!
  • Woo! And i thought this was happening in 1066!
    I also didn't get a time machine at Christmas (which I've asked for many times) so wouldn't be able to enter it.
    XD
  • Does the planeswalker/legend have to be an all new character?
  • @KJMartin, an original character would be best for your chances, unless its a really fantastic revamp/imagining.
  • edited January 2017
    So alright, quick question. How would one go about reserving a design when we can't post then refine?

e.g. You've come up with a "unique" approach, you've found artwork, you've settled on a creature type, etc. etc. and you don't want someone else to do exactly that.

Is it just a race to post? I'm thinking that I'll have my tentative created in the next few days and I'll try and get help from some of the best to get it up to snuff. But in the meantime, couldn't that general concept be "stolen".

Also, do cards like Marath and Gahiji (non-humanoid) count as "legendary characters"?
  • Non-humanoids can certainly count as legendary, though creatures may have a harder time conveying the traits for the contest.

As for reserving a design, you may be best served by iterating over your design and posting it when you are finally happy with it. We won't review all entries until the final submission date has passed - but we don't want people posting "this is my final entry" multiple times - it becomes unmanageable.
    Thanks!
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks @mtgcardsmith! (oh sorry. :)
  • Do you also have to draw an image for this character? Or do you only need his abilities, statistics, and/or flavor text? If you need an image, can you get the image off of the web?
  • edited January 2017
    @Agnimandur
    Yes, you can use internet images, you don't need to draw anything. Just remember to credit the artist!
  • Oh, and also does the card have to be fiery, or does it just have to have the traits of a rooster?
  • Just the traits, its all up to you! Main post updated with the contest avatar!
  • edited January 2017

The "...no their..." means "...no other..." I am not allowed to change it, as that is in the official contest rules.

This card was dedicated to my dad, as he was from the Year of the Rooster. Actually my mom was too... but the key words @mtgcardsmith used "Boastful", "Vain", "Center of Attention"... Those describe my dad way better...

Hopefully he doesn't see this.
  • I know I'm early and all and I should probably spend the next two weeks actually thinking and drafting, but sudden inspiration struck me! Also someone has to be first :)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kayla completely embodies the Fire Rooster. She's impulsive and arrogant, and everything she does is for the benefit of personal appearance. From a young age she was destined to be something great, and was gifted the power to call on the ancient dragons of dark and light in order to aid her. She went on an epic quest to eradicate all evil. However, when she arrived at a large town where no one had heard of her, she altered her plans slightly. She then travelled from town to town embellishing her exploits and trying to gather notoriety. However, Kayla was ambushed by bounty hunters tasked with "removing that one annoying girl". She set her dragons on them, and fled, telling the story of how her dragons bravely sacrificed themselves to save her. However, without her dragons, Kayla was forced to come to terms with herself and her lack of competence without her gifted powers.
    Kayla, Dragon Tamer: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/kayla-dragon-tamer
    Yin: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/yin
    Yang: http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/yang-1
    This card is a lot of fun. I think it really suits the flavour of Kayla and of WBRG in general. Kayla is 4 cmc for 10/11 worth of power and toughness, 8 of it being flying, but since taking down Kayla gets rid of the others, I think it's a relatively balanced card (think Precursor Golem). The mana requirement is also a bit prohibitive and she and her tokens are all legendary, so I think it is relatively balanced.
    I hope you enjoyed my card, as it was a lot of fun to make! :)

--dnaidu
  • edited January 2017

Icebreaker, yo! Silas Voldaren holds extravagant masquerade balls attended by hundreds hoping to join the ranks of the family. Silas is an affable host, but upstage him and you might find yourself on the table rather than at it. Does this sound interesting? Go read The Coldest Girl In Coldtown, by Holly Black!
  • http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/aldren-beastcaller?list=set&set=17616

Aldren is an white-haired elf originally from Zendikar. His spark ignited when his family was killed by the eldrazi. He planeswalked to Shandalar. He could always communicate with beasts,he is always the leader of the pack, and he is very popular to what he calls “the other beasts,” but he can sometimes be quite despicable to the animals that step out of line.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/aldren-tamer-of-beasts?list=set&set=17616 (this one is not an entry. The top one is.)
  • I'm never able to win one of these... :( doesn't stop me from trying...
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rivalex-mountains-zenith?list=user
    Also, I'm Chinese, and I will be celebrating the Year of the Rooster! My brother will turn twelve.
  • @mtgcardsmith

Just to clarify, does the entry have to be a rooster or bird of some kind or is any creature type allowed?
  • edited January 2017
    image</a
  • @Maxandemmy
    I believe you were meant to smith a legendary creature.
  • @Animist, any creature type - human, rooster, could even be a slime if slime could have a personality.
  • @mtgcardsmith, should i have my planeswalker's backstory included in the post with the url
  • Also can i have my planeswalker be like the origins planeswalkers, where they enter the battlefield as legendary creatures and then have an effect that causes them to transform?
  • edited January 2017
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/zaijin-xhan-blade-of-triumph
    Not very fiery or rooster-ish , but I focused on the personnality. Leave him behind, and you upset him. Make him lead the charge or fight alone, and he'll put up a show. Or at least I hope that's the feel it gives.
  • edited January 2017
    Here is my entry for the contest!

When light meets the everlasting darkness of night, Pumpkin Jack visits tonight!

This Scarecrow is the legend, the one and only Jack straight from the pumpkin patches. Prepared with his endless horde of minions all as one. From the edge of the twilight, Jack spreads his magic upon his children imbuing them with the secrets of eternal life!

Jack, Lord of Crows

Jack is the strong control/value themed Commander for those who want the full flexibility of an artifact/Scarecrow theme leader. Regardless, Jack provides Scarecrows an amount of flexibility never before seen with his other enchanting ability!

So what are you waiting for? Join the pumpkin patch and Jack's eternal legion!

Edit: Fixed it to say "three" rather than "3". Hope that is allowed! @mtgcardsmith

Edit: Thanks to @Animist @AustinSmith and @Shagoth for their contributions to Jack's theme and design!
  • @modnation675
    I don't think it's allowed, since Corwinnn specifically said NO edits.
This discussion has been closed.