The MM2017 Spoilers Thread

edited February 2017 in MTG Gameplay Chat
Last Monday, the Mothership gave us our first look at Modern Masters 2017 showing us a rather odd selection of cards. For those of you who have not seen them yet, here are the pictures:

This is very interesting because, of all of the cards that we for sure know will be in the set, none of them have any value. Of the cards, the most expensive is Griselbrand The other two, Stoic Angel and Domri Rade are worth less than 7 dollars, and will probably tank to 1 or 2 dollars after the reprint. The new art on the Booster Box is probably Snapcaster mage, which would be a much needed reprint. I think the original Volkan Baga art is probably better, although we haven't seen the entire new art yet, so there is no way of knowing.

Why would WOTC put cards that are not worth much (except for snap), on the booster packs of this set? Well, some conspiracy theories state that WOTC is deliberately anti-hyping (and sabotaging) the set, which would give them a reason to cut Modern Masters from their product lineup, and tightening the noose around modern's neck. However, I think that this is actually a sign about what the set's limited format will be like. Everything from this point onwards are my predictions about the set, so please be ready:

Prediction number one: MM2017 Will be a 3 Color Draft Format.

This makes perfect sense to me. MM2017 will be focusing on Innistrad and Return to Ravnica blocks. Many of the sets in modern have a heavy emphasis on Multicolor. Look at this list I have assembled including set name and main multicolor focus:

Fifth Dawn: 5 Color
Ravnica: City of Guilds: Selesnya, Golgari, Dimir, Boros
Guildpact: Orzhov, Izzet, Gruul
Dissension: Rakdos, Azorius, Simic
Shadowmoor: Ally color Hybrid
Eventide: Enemy Color Hybrid
Shards of Alara: Bant, Esper, Grixis, Jund, Naya
Conflux: 5 Color
Alara Reborn: Multicolor Cards Only
Return to Ravnica: Izzet, Selesnya, Golgari, Rakdos, Azorius
Gatecrash: Dimir, Boros, Orzhov, Gruul, Simic
Dragon's Maze: Every 2 Color Combination, Only Multicolor Uncommons.

RTR Limited was designed so that players would want to draft 3 colors (using 2 guilds from either large set and 1 guild from the other). I think that Stoic Angel is a sign that we might be getting another 3 color set. Since 3 color is much better in draft than in any other kind of limited format, I think MM2017 having a multicolor focus makes sense. I think we will be seeing a higher-than-average amount of multicolor uncommons, but I don't think they will all be multicolor. This leads me into prediction number 2:

Prediction number Two: MM2017 Will have mostly valuable uncommons.
I think that many of the uncommons in MM2017 will have some monetary value. With MM2015, many players would be upset because they would open a pack and get no value cards whatsoever. This was partially because the uncommons were so bad.The only valuable uncommons were Remand, Dismember and Lightning bolt. I think that we will be getting at least 15-20 good 3-5 dollar uncommons. Oh yeah, and I think that if this is indeed a multicolor set, Wild Nacatl will be in the set as an uncommon. Speaking of uncommons, I think that our lands will be much... better than normal in the uncommon slot. This leads me to:

Prediction number Three: MM2017 have the RTR shocklands as uncommons.
This probably won't happen, but imagine if you opened a pack of MM2017 and got a Steam vents or an overgrown tomb, and a sweet rare on top of that! I think this would be a great way to reduce the price of modern while still keeping MM2017 fixing really sweet.

Do you agree with my predictions? I will be back tomorrow with the spoilers, so stay tuned!

Comments

• I really hope the fetchlands are getting reprinted because you essentially can't play in modern without them unless you're going full mono. Personally, I'd like to see some of lantern control's more expensive pieces go down. (Here's looking at you, Mox Opal.)
  • Predictions 1 and 3 and both very unlikely. Prediction 2 is right, but there won't be an abundance of pricey uncommons.
  • @Lujikul I agree the zendikar fetchlands need a reprint, although I don't think this is the best place for them. I would rather see them in Amonkhet or some other block set.

@KJMartin I agree that my third prediction is unlikely (although it would be a fiscally responsible decision for WOTC), but I think my first prediction has some weight behind it. It seems a little weird that the first card officially spoiled would be a tri-color (which has at this point been confirmed to be a rare), when neither of the other modern masters sets have even had 3 color cards. Add that this set is also going to focus on reprinting cards from a block that cared about playing 3 color in limited, and I think that a 3 color set might very well be what we are getting. It would be a nice change from 2 color, that's for sure XD
  • image AND THE REST OF THE ZENDIKAR FETCHES

• edited February 2017
  • Damnation is also reprinted! Along with Ravnican Gates and tri-colored lands.
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/took-us-long-enough-2017-02-27

Looks like rule #1 is partially correct, #2 will have to wait, and #3 is false.
  • edited February 2017
    Weighing on others opinions: What do you think the chances that Snapcaster Mage would be reprinted for the set with the booster box art? Or is WotC trolling us with new Tibalt the Fiend-Blooded art?
  • @KrampisZman If you played standard during Khans standard, then you'd know why reprinting fetch lands in standard is a bad idea. Costs aren't helped at all, in the short or long run.
  • Fetches official!
  • Terminate at uncommon.
  • Restoration Angel
  • Goblin Guide (complete with ugly art)
  • Vanish into Memory
  • Goblin Assault
  • edited February 2017
    @Lujikul I played during Theros-Khans standard and I happen to think it was one of the best standard formats ever. There were very few decks you couldn't play, and I 3-0'd FNM multiple times running different decks. I played Temur Ramp, Mono-Blue Draconic Control, and I even played a weird infinite combo deck that I pulled off of the internet.

Khans-BFZ was not a good format, but that was mainly because of having the Battle Lands and the Fetches at the same time, in the midst of a really powerful 3 color block. Also, BFZ was a really underpowered block compared to every other block recently, so there were no hero's downfalls or Chained to the Rocks to keep everything in check...
  • Snapcaster Mage! Venser Shaper Savant! Bonfire of the Damned! And Ranger of Eos!

This set is going to be awesome

• @Gelectrode IKR! I'm a little sad Snap's a mythic, but hey, at least Damnation is a rare! (Took them long enough XD)

Also, it looks like prediction number one is correct:
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/multicolor-memories-2017-02-28

I would say prediction number 2 is holding pretty strong as of right now, no?
  • Celebrating the reprint of Zur the Enchanter with this cool card!

• @KrampisZman The issue isn't playability, though it did contribute to Khans/ BFZ being a lack of fun. It's the fact that prices remained really expensive, instead of lowering them for even a short period of time.
  • @Lujikul but the prices DID in fact reduce. Polluted Delta was 100 dollars before the reprint in khans, but now you can have an entire playset shipped to your door for less than 70 (it is about 17 dollars according to MTG stocks mid prices). Even the enemy fetches saw a reduction in price for a time, and while they did start to rise again, this was mainly because of low supply.

If you look at a card like Nobel Hierarch which has only been printed in it's original set and 1 of the 2 modern masters sets, you would see that, while the reprints did help with price control for about a year, they would rise up to a price that can be equated to their original price.

I'm not saying that reprinting the enemy fetches here won't help the prices of them, they certainly will, but I am saying that they won't be affordable for long, if at all.

If we had seen this reprint in a block set, the prices would be less for longer. If you take a look at the Return to Ravnica shockland reprints, you will see that every single land is less than 15 dollars. This was because all of the lands were reprinted in main sets that had similar print runs that were able to exceed market demand. Their prices have not risen noticeably yet. Please note that the shocks are just as, if not more important, to a modern deck, and see a simmilar amount of play compared to the shocklands.

Sorry for going on a rant there, this is just an issue that I feel very strongly about XD
This discussion has been closed.