Twin Nations Contest: Custom Commanders (Closed)

Comments

• edited March 2017
    My third entry:
  • edited March 2017
    Nvm
  • edited March 2017
    4th and final entry:

Created to house an Aura/Equipment strategy in Mono-White!

Related cards:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/excite-valor
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/earnest-arbalests
  • edited March 2017
    Cannot do it with editor, but above the bottom border it needs to say
    "Jas Ko, Bojuka Phobic can be your commander."

• edited March 2017

Clash (Each clashing player reveals the top card of his or her library, then puts that card on the top or bottom.
    A player wins if his or her card had a higher converted mana cost.
    )

Play a bunch of big spells (which should help you win clashes more often), and then cast those spells with the extra, albeit unorthodox, ramp you've accumulated! This guy likes to one-up his competition with powerful spells!
  • @Faiths_Guide oh jeez, its been a while since I've seen clash on a card
  • @Vyktur
    Ya, right? But it's such a neat mechanic!
  • @Faiths_Guide It's pretty interesting, many agree that it was a total failure... Personally I think it's alright, but then again I may be biased because Hearthstone has a very similar mechanic as well :3
  • edited March 2017
    @Vyktur
    I just like how it's a competitive revealing scry. Allows for some pretty fun interaction. Don't think I'd be a fan of it in STD settings, but in Commander and similar, Oh Yeah!

Originally it was to be more complex-
    Reveal top cards:
    If both are creatures, higher power create Gold- If both are noncreature, higher CMC create Gold - If one creature one noncreature, players draw.
  • edited March 2017
    @Faiths_Guide, @Vyktur
    I think clash was an excellent mechanic. What made it disliked by the community is the possibility for your card being a land card and having no Casting cost.

As such if they revealed until they revealed a nonland card, it would be an enjoyable mechanic. But disappointingly the reminder text would be too large to be a viable keyword mechanic, as it would restrict the variety with the keyword!
  • @modnation675 Exactly, which is why the mechanic works better in Hearthstone, where mana isn't in your deck. If you drew until you revealed a non-land card I think it would be a wonderful mechanic.
  • @Vyktur
    So you'd actually prefer my more complex wording that varies the results? [see above]
  • edited March 2017
    Updated: My first attempt at partner
    imageimage
  • @Faiths_Guide Yes and no- I like the variance because it makes the results more interesting and provides some use to revealing lands, however I also think its complicated and doesn't fit the flavor of your card. Just my opinion, but I think your card is great as it is :)
  • @Faiths_Guide
    Nope, your version uses the concept of replacing the determining variable based on the data. Which personally isn't logical unless there is a lack of a variable to keep track of.

As such I prefer the mechanic not existing rather than existing with awkward implementation. But I do want the mechanic to exist as it promotes different methodologies in deck design.

This is an example of where using a mechanic more often could result in future cards not always requiring the reminder text. Thus allowing for higher rarity cards to be more complex. While lower rarity cards can give occasional reminders to those not reading rules booklets.
  • @Vyktur
    Thank you!

@modnation675
    It wouldn't use the clash keyword at all. It would simply direct players to reveal and what to do afterwards.
  • edited March 2017
    (By Modnation675)
    I Felt I should be a troll and post a new Commander here, inspired by Hope of Ghirapur. Just look at all that black synergy! (Jokes aside, it's a tech card.)

(Not an entry!)

imageimage
  • edited March 2017
    Group Hug Announcement:
    Please make sure to check out the following contests/challenges and give them some appreciation! :)

Cool contests/challenges:
    The Dimensions they are A-Changin': Timeshifted Contest [Latest]
    An Artifice of Aristocrats - Conspiracy EDH [Latest]
    Losing The Game [Latest]
    (And more to come!)

Our other contests/challenges:
    Cursed Dice Roll: Typography (Set #2) [Latest]
  • Flicker Archetype:
  • edited April 2017
    Alright, no more entries/edits as we'll complete the judging this afternoon. Looking forward to the results as we see a lot of cool cards!
  • edited April 2017
    Contest Results:
    Well this contest had a lot of great contenders and the results were heavily swayed by a few significant wording issues, balancing issues, and exploits. But overall, I'm satisfied as I have at least three cards I want to build decks around to keep. (After some tweaks!)

Top 3 (Balanced Overall):
    1) Moira the Mindless by @Beeswax
    >Just about perfect personally. Only recommendation is changing it to an until your next turn effect rather than >upkeep.
    2) Mirret, Studier of Secrets by @Faiths_Guide
    >Excellent idea that I'm currently comparing further with Esper Sisters.
    3) Amira, Ocean Princess by @TenebrisNemo
    >Felt UR needs more partner options given some of the trash they got in the past.

Group 2 (Exploits and/or other flaws):
    (These are the cards that given some minor changes would've pushed up towards the top three easily.)
    Walaka, Market Smuggler by @Latinas
    >Needs may clause and some re-formatting required by that.
    Johanna, the Burning Dawn by @Beeswax
    >Needs that damage trigger to be toned down a lot, the scaling is a bad idea.
    Jacob, Merchant Prince by @TenebrisNemo
    >Feels a little too effective and may result in exploits normally found in high CMC Commanders.
    Madalinn, Blessed Heroine by @Faiths_Guide
    >Great card, but the impel theme doesn't have enough support yet.
    Arabaz, Prize Winner by @Faiths_Guide
    >Great value card, but I feel it may be outclassed among other things.

(There are many more entries, but it would take too long to preemptively give overviews.)

Awarded Prizes
    1) Beeswax - 1 month premium subscription, follow, six favorites, and the choice of our honorable mention.
    2) Faiths_Guide - 1 month premium subscription, eight favorites.
    3) TenebrisNemo - 1 month premium subscription, six favorites.

Anyone who was already followed has earned additional favorites.

Please comment to @modnation675 or on this thread to attain your prizes.

I'll be talking with a few of the entrants because I would like to do some re-designs on their cards. Which I want to get printed for personal use.

The following cards include...

Moira the Mindless by @Beeswax
    Johanna, the Burning Dawn by @Beeswax
    Livara, the Nefarious by @BradXmagic
  • Congratulations for the other @Winners!

@modnation675 fave any 6 cards of mine which you like!
  • @Beeswax
    Would you like to choose an honorable mention?

@Beeswax & @Faiths_Guide
    I'l give you both two days to decide. So make sure to provide your favorites request and so on. Otherwise, I'll just choose them afterwards.
  • edited April 2017
    Woohoo! Cool stuff! Thanks for the contest @modnation675 and congrats other @Winners!

I get 8? Could you hit your favorites from here:
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Faiths_Guide/sets/10133

And could you give @Platypusburger the free month?
  • edited April 2017
    @modnation675
    I like Walaka. Use Pyrohemia to stack the top 30-40 cards of your library at your upkeep for pennies on the dollar, then storm off with Blistercoil Weird/Paradise Mantle. If you're not looking for combo, just use Mizzium Mortars into Epic Experiment. Doomsday Zur meets Melek Storm. It has some minor formatting issues, but it would be a fun deck to play.

It might be slightly better as one of the 99 in Arjun, simply because that build of Arjun means that you cycle through your entire deck multiple times per turn to fetch the pieces, but it works either way.
  • @Beeswax
    Shall I just favorite some of your cards I like, since you didn't send any messages? Aside from that, I've now given you the subscription prize.

As for the honorable mention, I'll just post one so it's quicker!

Honorable Mention: Asper, Forced Transformation by @Death_Methods
    A really cool card that is quite unique in design. Death_Methods, you may have two favorites if you like. Otherwise, I'll just favorite two of your cards.

This discussion has been closed.