Bible Contest

Make a card that has anything to do with the Bible.

It can be a person, item, place, idea, story, actual text, cultural representation, command, etc. If you want, you can also post why you selected your specific topic or/and include the context of the subject as well. Feel free to talk about any commentary that catches your interest.

Wizards example:
Commentary example: The verse that Wizards chose from the Bible was taken from a conversation that God was having with Job. The question in the verse is rhetorical. The idea of a leviathan was one that couldn't be caught or harvested for food. In fact, people were in awe at such a creature because it was something that simply couldn't be contended with. God was saying that if such a creature is so strongly feared, then how much more should people have a reverent fear of God who is the one who created the creature as well as everything else.

Rules:
1. Don't have a Bible? Google it.
2. Each smith may submit up to 7 entries. ;)
3. If you disagree with someone about any topic presented, please use thoughtful and respectful language.
4. No joke cards.
5. Try to be accurate and not take things out of context.

End date:
About two weeks from now on May 4th. 5/4/2017

Prizes:
1st - 3 favorites, a follow, and all the respect.
2nd - 1 favorite, and a follow.
3rd - 1 favorite, and a follow.
Honorable mentions - 1 favorite
WARNING: All participants will also likely run the risk of learning about what's in the Bible. ;)

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Always one of my favorite old testament images, Samson laying the smack down with the jawbone of an ass.

• Maybe a Tamiyo with, "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

Replace Amalek with Amonkhet? “This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’ (1 Samuel 15:3)

A black removal spell? “Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

A pacifism-like enchantment? "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ." Ephesians 6:5 NLT

Got to love the New Testament.
  • edited April 2017
    @strongbelieves,
    Whoa, that's a lot to unload at once. I'm no expert, but here is my understanding of the verses you've presented.

(1 Timothy 2:12): According to the Bible, God has set things up is such a way that men are supposed to fill a leadership role while women's role is to be a submissive helper. This by no means entails that men are greater than women in any way. In order for a group to function, the leaders have to perform their job and the followers have to be willing to be led. Men are set in place to be the ones who lead other men in spiritual matters, as long as there is another man to do it. Women have their chance to lead whenever men don’t step up to the plate (which happens all the time - an example of this can be found in judges with the story of Deborah –Judges 4. Barak wouldn’t even go unless Deborah went with him). Women have every ability to lead just as good as men, but if there really is a God and if he says men are supposed to be the spiritual leaders, then it would be arrogant to say we know better than Him.
    Personally, I believe this whole notion started in the Garden of Eden. Whenever sin first entered the world, one of Eve’s (woman’s) punishments was that her husband (men) would rule over her from that point on. Genesis 3:16

(1 Samuel 15:3): First of all, this is Old Testament, not New Testament like you said. Second of all, according to the story, all of the Amalekites truly where a wretched people who deserved to be completely wiped out. When the Israelites were exiting Egypt and were on their way to the Promised Land, the Amalekites killed a whole bunch of them and God promised them that there would be justice – Deuteronomy 25:17-19. This was before Jesus’s death and resurrection so sins still had to be paid for with death.

(Psalm 137:9): Again, Old Testament and a little out of context. The Psalms have a lot of imagery and should not always be taken literally. For this particular verse, the “infant” represents a person’s beginnings of sin in their life (perhaps sinful thoughts). What the verse is saying is that when you see yourself start to go down a path to sin, you should be so fervently against letting yourself go there as to “dashes the sinfulness against the rocks” (and completely out of your life).

(Ephesians 6:5): This one can be a little tough because of the difference in culture from back then to now. The thought of slaves as we know it is very different from how it was in their time and culture. As an American, I am appalled and ashamed by the notion of slavery because of our history with it. But the word slave (or bondservant) in this verse would actually better translate to the word employee if we are trying to capture the original meaning. The fear in this verse refers only to fear of offending the master (employer). So the verse is essentially saying we should work hard dutifully and earnestly for our employers.
  • edited April 2017
    I by no means want to use this contest to start an argument or to try to prove to anyone else that they're wrong or anything like that. I just think some subjects would make really cool magic cards. Like the donkey's jawbone or the City of Refuge from the Old Testament.
  • Has a very Alaran Bone Saw feel.
  • Can I just post @Biblio4's Easter card list?
    XD
  • edited April 2017
    @Corwinnn Lol! Nope. Because the entry limit is 7. Not 385. ;)
    XD

@pstmdrn Yep, except a lot less creepy. ;D
  • edited April 2017
    People who claim the new testament is better are forgetting the most bloody book in the whole collection: revelations.
  • edited April 2017

Deuteronomy 14:8: "The pig, because it divides the hoof but does not chew the cud, it is unclean for you. You shall not eat any of their flesh nor touch their carcasses."
  • edited April 2017
    This is along the lines of what I'm looking for:
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
  • edited April 2017
    I went with the Seven Seals of Revelation, I will be continuing to complete the set of cards in my Apocalypse set. Seven Trumpets, Seven Bowls leading to a win-con.
  • edited April 2017
    Deleted
  • If you haven't seen the spoilers this won't make sense:
  • I for one think this is a great idea, I'll be submitting shortly! :D
  • edited April 2017
    (By Modnation675)
    I thought it would be interesting to see another interpretation on religion. So here's a crematorium, expressing the past interpretations on funeral proceedings.

In the bible it's expressed that those which are cremated don't pass on. I always thought this was a disconcerting idea since it's common that the innocent are ones to be burnt due to fires.

Inspiring video: Click here, & Lyrics (American Horror Story S2 Spoilers, Major)

imageimage
  • @modnation675 Nice card! ^^ and crazy cool art! I don't know how you find such cool pieces.

I'm a little unfamiliar where the Bible expresses that those which are cremated don't pass on. The Bible teaches throughout many verses that everyone is destined for either heaven or hell regardless of what happens their body in life.

Good entry! And thumbs up on the inspiring video. :)
  • edited April 2017
    Satan has been the best friend the church ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years.
    - Anton Szandor LaVey

(Okay, fixed it.)
  • David vs Goliath
  • @Death_Methods
    Yeah, it's a contrast between newer interpretations of christianity and prior ones.
This discussion has been closed.