This is Why Mtgcardsmith

edited June 2017 in Custom Card Sets
I'm sure most of us know about whymtgcardsmit, the tumblr blog dedicated to cataloging the absolute worst and weirdest cards on Mtg Cardsmith. If you don't know about them, the link is here: http://whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com/
I am an avid fan of the blog, and i think I've read the whole thing through (Their are about 180 pages). Today I have decided to do something ambitious.

Remake the cards so that they work.

ALL of them.

From now on every card that appears on the blog I will remake. I've set myself some rules and gudlines.
-Most important is not changing the cards function. I'll try to keep what it does pretty much the same.
-Second most important is balancing the card.
-Third most important is correct wording and elimination of typos.
-Fourth is not breaking the colour pie/ the rules of Magic.
-Last is small changes like using valid creature types, correct ordering of keywords, words not extending outside of frame, following the WUBRG order, etc.
*A guideline: Using the same art if I can find it and its not blurry/awful.

Here's the set I'm adding them too: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Brainifyer/sets/21550

Here's the first card:
Remade from

What I changed: Reduced the mana cost and ultimates cost to make it less awful, fixed the wording to what I think it meant, changed the art because I couldn't find the art I was looking for and made it blue to fit the colour pie better (I should have made it blue/black but the arts not blue/black and I didn't think of that.)

What you can do: Help me find the art, give me feedback or ideas, and if you have any favorite old whymtgcardsmith cards send me the link/image and I'll try to remake them.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Second one:
    from

Upped the mana cost and fixed the wording and creature type. No idea what scry 1 mountain means.
    updated from
    What I did:
    -Updated the name to something closer to an actually MTG card name.
    -Italicized all intended flavor text.
    -Removed the "Story Spotlight" subtype.
    -Added an effect to relate to the flavor of the card (balanced off of Cloudshift and Eerie interlude).
  • edited June 2017
    updated from
    Updates:
    -Overhauled cost and color identity to better match the effects.
    -Updated the name to something closer to an actually MTG card name.
    -Updated card type to enchantment (from artifact) to better match the feel of the effects and flavor of the character,
    -Added a clause to help minimize freecasting potential.
    -Remove a portion of off-color keywords.
    -Changed base P/T to a 1/1 to decrease life swings this card can do without buffs and to increase removablility while also maintaining the feel of the 20/20 base P/T of the original (as first strike, deathtouch means instant-kill on anything without first strike).
    -Removed buff from hexproof effect.
    -Made hexproof effect extremely temporary and a one-time-per-turn thing to increase removability.
    -Fixed wording of prison ability to what I believe was the intended effect.
    (I might have royally screwed this one up. Cards like that are so hard to fix that you might as well just not even try.)
  • edited June 2017
    Good luck with the KFC one. XD
  • edited June 2017
    @Brainifyer There's one called Armadone, God's Protector. It was done by my mate George. Would you mind if I do that one for you cos I'd like to work on it with him.
  • I can't wait until MY cards show up here!
    XD
  • UPDATE: I won't be fixing cards that are obviously intended to be jokes, like the furry Gideon one or the KFC one. I don't actually know if that's meant to be a joke, but I can't help it.

Here's the next one:

from

I updated the blurry art and weird mana cost, I fixed the effect to actually do something, I gave it a proper creature type and I put it in Amonkhet because of the -1/-1 counter synergy.
    from

This one changed a bit, because the original was so awful. I kept it in Esper colours and basically the same effect. The 'unless its controller pays 3" was not not invalidate Turn Aside too much.

I bumped down the rarity and removed the out-of-place subtype.
  • Here's a bonus one
    from

I'm pretty sure I corrected this strange card, making it do what it was meant to. I also toned down the mana cost and put in a don't-use-Stoneforge-Mystic-clause.
  • @Brainifyer lol, that Equip clause was clipped through the card borders...
  • all I see is a "5" above the artists name, lol...
  • Oh well, I should have checked harder.
  • edited June 2017
    image -original- image

(Yes, they were both mine. The blogger of WhyMTGCardsmith, which was accurate from a rules
    stand point, totally ignored the reminder text and made his faulty assumption of what the card
    was trying to do. I remade it to do what I intended.)
  • image from image

Stopped it going infinte/nearly infinite. Removed haste and buffed the toughness because it was a bit weak as a 2/1.
  • edited June 2017
    Note: Can't find a good name for it.

Things changed:
    > Removed all the phyrexian mana.
    > It now has deathtouch instead.
    > Need a constant sacrifice to cast.
    > Reduced cmc.
  • image from image

Increased mana cost and surge cost, reduced Leviathan stats and removed islandwalk, removed delve, changed to sorcery.
  • Oi! Just so you know, this card

http://whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com/post/143711379877/has-this-person-ever-heard-of-an-ability-called

is mine! I claim the remake! I already made a mechanic to make it work!
  • @Tommia sure!

Remade this old one

Instead of just making it non-legendary I made four, because flavour, y'know.

image image
    image image
  • edited June 2017
    @Brainifyer
    Change the mana cost to 10 at least, change the ability text to something along the lines of
    "The Ultimatum enters the battlefield with three charge counters on it.
    3T: Remove a charge counter from The Ultimatum.
    When all charge counters are removed from The Ultimatum, you win the game."
  • Give it also the ability for opponents to add counters on it.
  • Heads up!
    I specifically designed this card to end up on whymtgcardsmith. Don't bother fixing it.
  • Sorry for the delay. Here's quick catch up:
    image becomes image
    image becomes image
    image becomes image
  • @brainifyer oh no my friend, when the person who made imminent death when he repeated "exile all player's hands" twice he meant to literally remove the hands of the people playing and send them into the void :D
  • @hivelord3 I did consider that, but I decided even unglued doesn't let you get away with mutilation.
  • edited July 2017
    @Brainifyer
    Of course it does, I do that all the time....

What? I didn't say anything.
  • Can you guys do some more? I like to see them remade, so that they work.
  • I made it:https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sword-of-malevolent-death-2?list=user.
    I made it an Equipment instead of an Aura, because that made more sense. I also removed the Xs and gave it an equip cost, and by black land I assume they meant Swamp.
This discussion has been closed.