I did the art of this card - Trainning for future apply at WotC, what do you think?

Hello dear community, new member here.

As the title says I did the art of this one, I've been illustrating for years and now I try to push hard hoping to be able to apply in the coming half year, so feedback from MTG fans is pretty valuable for me and MTG cardsmith seems to be a divine tool to see what fits and what doesn't.

Please tell me what you think of the card, but also of the art.

Thanks a lot!

the card ; [edited following this thread's advice - thanks @Faiths_Guide!]
https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/gigantic-lieutenant-1

the art in HD ; https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YVaqq

(edited for typo)

Comments

• I can definitely see it on a MTG card and really like the impressionistic blurring (definitely not the right phrase). Though it creates a cool tone, I would say I haven't seen any magic cards with that technique.
  • @Pierre_Demet
    You've definitely got some talent there. I'd say you need to continue your practice (as you've been doing) and refine your processes and finished products, but your doing fantastically. Don't be discouraged if the first application doesn't work out, just keep plugging away and producing great artwork and you'll be sure to get in eventually!

Your card design leaves a lot to be desired (I don't think you quite understand how WotC functions in that respect), but, if I'm understating you correctly, what you're really interested in is the art side and that doesn't require card templating. Never fear!

P.S. If you do want more suggestions on the card design itself, feel free to ask and I'll get a comment up on the card page!
  • @Faiths_Guide

Hey thanks for the kind words, really appreciate :)

About the card design itself yes I'd love to hear your thoughts about how to make proper mechanics. (It's true that even if I love to play MTG I have very little experience of it)

I wanted to portrait a real lieutenant, the one that goes 1st line.
    The white side one boost the troops, the black one mayhem himself to get back more firepower.

How should it be done?
  • Hi!

I will mostly focus on the artwork because others can probably help you with the card itself. Concerning the style, I would recommend using smoother and bigger brush strokes instead of more gritty and detailed painting. Remember that your artwork would be compressed into a tiny window!

In addition, I would recommend studying the works of prolific magic artists for style. I would recommend Noah Bradley, John Avon, Volkan Baga, Steve Prescott, and anyone who has done multiple card arts. It is a good idea to figure out how they got their art published, and to apply that idea.

Finally, if you have any imaginative friends,ask them to come up with crazy card art ideas, and you try to closely replicate what they have in mind. If you can paint what they want you to paint, you are well on your way to becoming a mtg artist!

I am no painter, but I am an artist, and I have a couple of ideas of how to be successful. Good luck!
  • edited June 2017
    @Pierre_Demet
    You're quite welcome!

I've commented on the card page!

Here's one of my personal favorite MTG artists.
  • The art doesn't scale down well. The blur is a good idea but you need to get used to making that work with the scale. Definitely build up commissions of whatever type of card you'd like to do since they ask for art based on written requests.
  • Don't know if you're still keeping track of this thread, but if you are, Jaime Jones is one of my favourite artists. He's done work for multiple companies and franchises including MtG. He did the art for Dragonlord Kolaghan and Somberwald Dryad, among others.
This discussion has been closed.