Commander Cardsmiths

Comments

• @Gelectrode the Not-So-Friendly Geek is amazing :)

The theme for NSFG (not-so-friendly geek) would probably be swarming effects and token generators along with creature anthems (not specifically tokens) with added value effects and politics
  • edited September 2017
    Deleted then.
  • edited August 2017
    I think we should just be talking about the actual playstyles themselves for now, not thinking about what cardsmiths could lead an army, but thinking about what army can follow a cardsmith :)
  • ESPER MUMMIES. I looove Embalm.
  • Though some if it depends on how many commanders we actually intend to make, my idea was to have four tri-color decks with four partner commanders in each (sixteen total commanders, but this number is always subject to change). Depending on who wants to be/is selected for being commanders changes what combination within those three are (for example, if we did an abzan deck and an esper deck, we could theoretically have two bw partner commanders floating around, but we can also choose within, so that if there are already four commanders put into the abzan deck, a bw commander is still viable for the esper deck, as no partner commander must totally resonate the tri color ideals). As a second thought, i think it would be best if we divorced ourselves from recent mtg abilities as the main point of the decks (for example, things like eminence or exert, for example) as I think as a community, we would want to build something that reflects us as a group of people who want to enrich magic, not just fit within the same parameters already done by wotc (this point will obviously be highly debatable, and I understand this. I am not necessarily voting for the complete divorcing, obviously we can use them as mechanics, but I just was arguing for the main theme of the decks to be divorced from already made mechanics [note: this doesn't exclude already present playstyles or strategies, just the specific mechanics]). Third, I think it would be good to maybe try to work in the four main archetype decks that (at least i see) played, which are aggro, control, midrange, and combo. Of course, this is difficult as midrange encompasses a lot and these can be restricted.

I really don't know if I have the place to recommend the specifics in terms of color combinations. That is why I was under the impression that the previewed cards were ideas to get us started. If a cardsmith agrees that their previewed card represents them, or such (all on a per case basis, considering some may not be active anymore), we could then decide which ones we wanted, and structure the decks based off of the most liked/most intuitive commanders that have been presented. But I think the problem that several are having right now is that if we start off choosing deck colors and themes, it immediately excludes certain cardsmiths that have been presented, and I think several people wanted the cardsmiths to dictate what decks come to fruition, and not have the decks choose which cardsmiths become commanders (as each cardsmith has a specific playstyle/personality that isn't subject to change based on the whim of which decks we choose). These are just my (probably incoherent) thoughts regarding this. In summary, I'm really just saying that it might be best to choose the cardsmiths and build decks around them that way we don't immediately exclude recommended cardsmiths from the start.
  • If you guys want to make a card for me, I'd like the deck to be an aggro BR -1/-1 counter deck.
  • I play with many play styles, but I like pay life, gain life, sacrifice and create with a single deck.
  • i have a Selesnya commander for Enchantresses
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/laramie-chorus-maiden
  • edited September 2017
    @RohanDragoon, I understand completely, I am alright with the choice of making the cardsmiths commanders FIRST than the color identities of the cards or specific playstyles. My idea was to try to fit their partner commanders in as to synergize with their deck as much as possible, I wanted to try to avoid cards like Bruse Tarl... But I do understand that most of us want to try and make decks under our playstyle and not try to fit into the mold of an archetype that they aren't fully into... But that was what I wanted to do! I wanted to find what a group of cardsmiths had in common and try to have them a deck that suits them as much as possible... (I am still on the Commanders THEN Color Identities thing, don't get confused lol...)

I don't want to try to take control of the entire thing, nothing I say should be automatically forced into the project. I want to try to have this project represent ALL of the cardsmiths included, please tell us if you don't like a certain direction that we're taking the project, and tell us if you have any suggestion for the project...
  • @ManaChrome, Bruse Tarl has plenty of synergy with Silas Renn, Tana the Bloodsower, and Ikra Sidiqi!
  • edited September 2017
    @Gelectrode yep yep! But he doesn't really make much sense in his precon :/
  • @ManaChrome
    That makes a lot of sense, actually in trying to find people's interests and group them together based on their commonalities

I personally play jeskai midrange (heavy on noncreature) and wubrg superfriends, although I doubt there are enough others who synergize well with superfriends in terms of partners for a deck like that, but jeskai midrange is doable i think
  • @ManaChrome

I usually play BR aggro, but lately I've been running a UG growth deck with tons of counter doubling, creature cloning, and 'counter pumps.'
  • I do red/white soldier with a green/red rage side.
  • Well if we do one for @Beeswax it'll have to be #simic4life

• @Corwinn
    Please no stat counters aside from +1/+1 or -1/-1. Don't bring back the nightmare!
  • @modnation675 - The whole time I was making it, I was thinking I just know someone's gonna be all "Here's a +1/-1 counter for ya!"
  • edited September 2017
    @Corwinnn
    Lol. XD
  • edited September 2017

Modified the rules text!
  • Ooooh, fancy suit and tie you got there Mana-Chromed Arbiter!
  • @sanjaya666 Me being picky again, I'm not a big fan of the artwork
  • edited September 2017
    Just trying to anagramming things instead of writing directly the usernames (or names).

And if anyone doesn't like the art, he or she can send the link to the artist instead of just complaining.

@TheFriendlyGeek

Also being a Mardu seems fine for you. I think.

@modnation675

I don't know about this (lol). The name was too damn long, it doesn't really make sense now.

• edited September 2017
    @sanjaya666
    Hopefully the following gives some ideas. But feel free to design the cards as you wish! :)

Our Cards:
    A) Top three cards are takes on Mercyque.
    B) The fourth card is a take on @modnation675. (There are more, but they aren't nearly as cool!)

imageimageimage

• @sanjaya666 that is perfect! great art and better colors :)
  • I thought of an idea for TrippleBoggey3. Just attaining the right artwork!
  • edited September 2017
    A card for TrippleBoggey3. (Updated!)

• edited September 2017
    No need to anagramming this time.

@Faiths_Guide

This discussion has been closed.