Equipment Matters Set Ideas

Comments

• @22cjohnson

Then specify all of those things and more. There are most certainly things that I left out.
  • edited September 2017
    One of our favorite cards for draft and Commander.

• @modnation675

Mono-black EDH would probably break that to some degree.
  • edited September 2017
    My phone registered my last comment as being posted twice.
  • @NokiSkaur
    You betcha, depending on the land build and if you've got Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
  • edited September 2017
    @midnation675

Yep, that would certainly help. I keep forgetting that there are nonbasic monocoloured lands.
  • edited September 2017
    Just add Painter's Servant and you're set! XD
  • @modnation675

I'm not quite sure how Painter's Servant would help. Is it just because of the Highlander format?
  • edited September 2017
    @NokiSkaur
    Nah, I was just teasing. :)
  • @modnation675

*Quick, Noki! Don't let your inner noob show through!*

"Too late, Skaur."
  • If we were to implement Living Weapon, how would we do it in a new way? Perhaps we could have a Living Weapon that pumps all Germs on the battlefield?
  • I imagine this has already been mentioned, but fortify might work in this set.
  • @KJMartin

I'm not familiar with Fortify. Is that a custom mechanic, or is it official? I don't know many mechanics from before Scars.
  • edited September 2017
    It's official, but only used on one card in future sight. It's like an equipment for land.
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=126211&type=card
  • @Stormtide

I looked it up a few hours ago. It seems odd, given the setting, but I think I could pull it off with a bit of twisting.
  • edited September 2017
    @TenebrisNemo

Purposefully impractical, but can it be useful? I guess that it could work in a graveyard deck, but unless you can equip your opponents' creatures, I don't see how it would be useful. Is it mostly for some sort of janky 'Equipment in Graveyard' deck? I'm not trying to be critical--I just don't understand it.

Also, thank you for participating!
  • Are we going to have artifact creatures in this set? If so we could use this guy otherwise we could make a white creature with this effect.
  • edited September 2017
    @serpentail

Do we even know enough about Assemble to make it a mechanic? There will certainly be artifact creatures, but we can't use Assemble until Unstable.

Never mind. It was a syntax error. When referring to cards by name, capitalize it. Otherwise, I might mistake a name for a mechanic.
  • edited September 2017

Revision complete
  • @Mellenius

The concept would certainly work, but I'm not sure if tri-coloured legends would fit well with the set. What does everyone else think?

If we don't end up using the character, we could make him a planeswalker of some kind. We could keep him in Naya, similar to how they made Huatli Boros to cast and Naya to play. Do you think that would work better?
  • I'll be editing it as I realised the last ability is not written correctly
  • @Mellenius

I don't quite see what's wrong with it, but alright.

On a different note, what do you guys think we should do for ally-coloured archetypes? We still need to make Dimir, Rakdos, Gruul, and Selesnya archetypes. The only restrictions I have are that Dimir and Gruul can't be control, Rakdos can't be Beatdown, and nothing can be midrange--that's taken by Azorius.
  • @Mellenius. I don't think that first ability works, technically. The best way I could think do do it is "Whenever an Equipment becomes attached to Jimalus the Weapon Master, for each creature you control, create a token that's a copy of that Equipment and attach it to those creatures." Obviously, that is functionally different, but it's the best I could think of.
  • @Stormtide

That would completely break artifact-matters cards. What would happen to Improvise in a swarm deck? One equipment could become eighteen mana, and that could wreck the entire deck.
  • Fair enough. I was just thinking through formatting, cause I don't think your wording works. I didn't think about what that would mean.
  • @Stormtide

I understand. It's too easy to see something as balanced in a vacuum. We've all fallen victim to 'it doesn't seem TOO bad' mentality.
  • edited September 2017
    @NokiSkaur I think I understand what @Stormtide is saying, he's kinda right ^^ The game doesn't understand if you say "effects are copied on other creature" because it's not how the rules work. It's the difference between black border and silver border where you can let players try to figure it out by themselves. Let's say you put that card on Magic Arena to see what the computer is going to do, all you're going to do is make the computer cry x)

There are a few cards that distribute effects on your other creature in the game though:

imageimage

You can see they don't just copy the ability, they copy the whole spell, they don't care if that completely break stormlike effects. So, as Stormtide rightfully suggested, the right way to do this is probably to copy the artefact.

Now you're also right to say it would be a terrible idea because it would break the set entirely. Also equipments are permanents, so you're going to have dozens of invisible copy tokens everywhere on the battlefield which is too much of a memory issue.

I think this effect probably can't be done properly by the rules. But maybe you can bend the rules by allowing an equipment to attach itself to multiple creatures for instance. Or maybe you can use a text remplacement effect. Here's an example:

— Change the text of all Equipments attached to CARDNAME by replacing all instances of the words "equipped creature" with the words "creatures you control". —

Hope that helps? =)

• @Ningyounk

That would work much better--it causes a fundamentally identical effect without really breaking anything.
  • I always thought when going for a deck/set heavily based on equipment it would be safe to say that using token spawn artifacts was a must, so here's an old one that might be useful in this case.

This discussion has been closed.