Equipment Matters Set Ideas

Comments

• @Credius

I could certainly see the concept working, though I think it should be a cycle of mono-coloured artifacts. Or, we could find a way to make it fit into Selesnya colours? I guess it doesn't have to be that directional, but it feels strange to have a WU aligned card that doesn't use Improvise in some way.
  • @NokiSkaur

Fairy's pond as I said is an old card, my main intention was hoping it would perhaps give you some insight on a possible set/cycle of cards you could use. As you said, it would actually be cool if you made an entire cycle of these token spawners.
  • @Credius

I understand that it's an older card. I'll see what I can make with that formula, but the cards might be worse than normal because I'm on mobile.
  • Here's an idea of mechanic. The goal is to help you get a critical amount of equipments without taking half the slots in your set for actual equipments ^^

Here are twists on this mechanic that may help it fit your set:
    - Make it that the creature enters the battlefield with N Gears attached to it.
    - Make the Gears have "{1},T: Equipped creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."
    - Make the Gears have "T: Equipped creature gets your choice of +1/+0 or +0/+1 until end of turn."

It gets really long really quickly though ^^" It depends on how you balance the complexity of all the mechanics in your set.
  • @Ningyounk

I like the idea of Implement and Gear tokens. I also have a couple other ways of making equipment without loading the entire set with them.

As you mentioned, we could implement normal creation of Equipment tokens, which I'm almost certain will become a cycle at uncommon, and probably more.

We could make a mechanic similar to Bestow, or we could bring Soulbond back.

I'm already planning on making creatures that transform into equipment upon death--a knight could leave behind a battered chestplate, for example.

All of these are things I want to implement, though I'm not sure if we'll have enough space to use them all. We're already planning a return of Living Weapon and Improvise, and I want to keep this set to four mechanics at the most.
  • @NokiSkaur Also make sure that eventually each mechanic has a different role, there's no need for 4 mechanics that increase your equipment count. I would advise choosing just the better one and use the other slots for something different ^^
    I like the idea of creatures dying into equipment. Using DFC card could give you an awe factor for your set as well as "hiding" most of the equipments on the back of your cards ^^
  • @Ningyounk

I understand. For now, the only mechanic rooted in increasing equipment count is Living Weapon, and even that is arguable. I think that Soulbond could be a fun mechanic to use in this set, but I don't think it fits the flavour that well. I'll probably use Implement, but I'd need to replace Gear with something like plate. That would make more sense to me--especially when it's not on Artifact creatures.
  • @ningyounk
    I think we could just have implement "create a colorless Equipment artifact token with..." i believe that would work like creature tokens in that the token's name would be "equipment" and it would be an artifact-equipment.

I really like the idea behind implement but i'm have trouble seeing how we could make it scale. Would it be: Implement N (create a colorless Equipment artifact token with "equipped creature gets +N/+N. Equip (N)" or would it have the same equip cost like equip {1} or equip {2} no matter what N is?
  • @serpentail

I think that Implement would be better in its original form, just to reduce confusion.
  • @serpentail The original ida was the following ^^

Implement N (Create N colorless Gear artifact equipment tokens with "Equip 1. Equipped creature gets +1/+1.")

Having the Gear give +N/+N is interesting but it would also create some confusion on which Gear gives what bonus, so I think the memory issues it brings makes it not really worth it.
  • I feel like some kind of "Cursed equipment" cycle could be really cool at rare they would all be powerful legendary equipment's either in each color or in a cycle of color combos. They would have an effect that read either "Whenever this becomes unequipped from
    a creature, sacrifice that creature." or "This cannot be equipped if it is already equipped to another creature." Example:

Also i think a common or uncommon cycle of pump spells in each color that care about equipment would be cool. Examples:

Draw Cut (R)
    -Instant
    Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. If that creature is equipped it gets an additional +2/+2. If that creature entered the battlefield this turn it gets +2/+2.
    A skilled swordsman only needs one strike.

Concealed Dagger (U)
    -Instant
    Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. If that creature is equipped it gets an additional +1/+1 and is unblockable until end of turn.

Poison Coat (B)
    -Instant
    Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. If that creature is equipped it gets an additional +2/+2 and has deathtouch until end of turn.

Crush Through (G)
    -Instant
    Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. If that creature is equipped it gets an additional +2/+2 and has trample until end of turn.

Enchanted Sheen (W)
    -Instant
    Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn. If that creature is equipped it gets an additional +2/+2 and has lifelink until end of turn.
  • Something I threw together for equipments - not sure if it's what you're looking for

• @serpentail

I don't think we should implement Cursed Equipments for two main reasons. For starters, it would bump our legend count for one set to twenty-seven at the very least. We already have four cycles of legendaries along with no less than two planeswalkers, and I think that it will greatly reduce the value of cracking a legend if this were in packs. Second, assuming that we're still following the pit fighting theme, why would cursed weapons be permitted? It feels like a bit of a flavour fail to me.

Draw Cut seems a bit too good when compared with the others. It's a 3/3 to 5/5 pump in red--things that big are usually reserved for green.

Concealed Dagger hits a strange spot with me. It's a 2/2 pump, and it becomes unblockable. That seems too big for blue.

Poison Coat is completely backwards to me. Why would you pump it so much just to give it deathtouch?

Crush Through is basically Titanic Growth with trample. It's fine for green, and it's the most plausible in the cycle in my opinion.

With a name like Enchanted Sheen, I would have expected it to either care about auras or grant first strike.

Those are just my opinions. Take them however you want to.
  • @Animist

I like the concept, but there are two main things I don't like about the card. Both of these are problems with context, and I understand why you wouldn't read through eight pages of a forum--in other words, I'm not faulting you in either of these problems.

We've already worked out that legendaries in this set will be monocoloured, though I could see this being in mono-white. We've also settled on the Azorius archetype for this set being midrange improvise, though we haven't decided on anything else yet. I could see that card working in concept, but both of my problems with it boil down to colour.
  • Your reasoning for excluding the cursed equipment is solid. The pump spells i provided were just meant to be examples. I thought up most of them on the spot so their probably not the most balanced or flavorful. If we do decided to implement a cycles like that i definitely think they should be reworked.
  • @NokiSkaur

Yeah, I'll admit I didn't read through the forum. Personally I wouldn't make this mono-white though since white isn't a colour that copies and clones things - it really ought to be part blue. But if multicoloured legendaries aren't what you're looking for that's cool. :)
  • A creature that transforms into equipment. I'm not sure if it's any good, but it exists.

• @Animist

I'll see if we can make the Mythic legends multicoloured. It would help them stand out more in a crowd, and it would add a bit of variety to the set.

This is obviously a lategame addition, but I'd say no artifact heavy plane/set is complete without at least one heavu duty golem
  • @NokiSkaur
    For creatures transforming into equipment ala death, I would suggest one of the following wordings:

If this creature would die, transform it instead.

OR

When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield transformed.
  • @Lujikul

Yep. Ningyounk helped me with that--I didn't have Harvest Hand pulled up when I was making the card. I'll also need massive changes to the mace, as it certainly isn't white right now.
  • I think it would make the most sense if the DFC equipment granted an ability the creature had. For example, a 4/1 with first strike would turn into an equipment giving one of two things.
    a) First strike
    b) +4/+1 and first strike

I'm not sure which one we should do, but I think we should pick one to use for all the DFCs.
  • @Stormtdide

I don't like either of those... +4/+1 doesn't make sense, lifelink doesn't seem natural, and neither does first strike. Freezing makes sense to me, and so does a flanking-type ability.
  • @NokiSkaur

hmm, why not vigilance and flanking, fits white, because freezing is more of a blue ability.

• @Credius

It doesn't fit a mace. When I think of a mace, I imagine a stun of some sort, which is usually represented by freezing or tapping.
  • @NokiSkaur

Not going to argue, but a mace was the weapon of choice for guards in the medieval times. Problem is that the art you're using depicts a Ball and chain, which is something else entirely xD (though admitted, many people make that mistake) Sadly though, indeed stun does fit the idea, but has always been an exclusive blue mechanic.

In the end, I guess it's your choice, wether the mechanic doesn't fit the colour or not xD
  • @Credius

Mace and Flail--I understand the difference. I couldn't find any good art for a mace, and a flail was the next best thing.

Perhaps I could tap creatures blocked by or blocking it, without freezing them? That fits into the Azorius grey area.
  • @NokiSkaur

I guess since that does circumvent the freezing mechanic, it could work
  • White is allowed to tap creatures, just not freeze them ^^ Maybe you could use this ability for instance:

• Fixed the revision... how does it look?
This discussion has been closed.