Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• edited October 2017
  • @Credius

Okay, but this is different. I made this early in the summer. You can see it on cards like Guilt, Countless Witnesses, and Mass Arrest.
  • could implement it in my block if you want xD, send me some examples through pm
  • One of the ones I've made.

Finality X: {cost}. ({cost}: (Creature Name) gets +X/+X until end of turn. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only once each turn)
  • halloween's a great inspiration for new mechanics

Frighten {cost} ({cost}: When you cast this spell, creatures that don't share a color with it are returned to their owners hand.)
  • How is the spreadsheet going for all mechanics people have posted here?
  • Chain (While [CONDITION], this creature has a Link counter on it.)

Creatures you control with link counters on them have [EFFECT].
  • Faithful (This card costs {1} less to cast if your devotion to [THIS CARD'S COLOR] is more than three)
  • Edit: Three or more.
  • edited October 2017
    imageimageimage

Dreadful (This creature can only be blocked by creatures with total power greater than or equal to this creature's toughness.)

Some creatures (mainly red or green) may be too dreadful to be dealt with your weak creatures except if you have many of them.

Root N (Whenever you tap mana to cast a spell, you may tap N extra lands and create N 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens)

Note: this is primarily a green mechanic
  • Null (If a creature dealt damage by (Name of spell or creature) this turn would die, exile it instead)
    Notes: Primarily Black, then Green, then Red (Colorless also works) - doesn't really work flavorfully with White or Blue

Peacemonger: [Trigger], if no player lost life this turn, [Effect]
    Notes: Primarily White, works in Non-Red colors
    Also, mostly meant to discourage you from attacking, so works well on end step triggers or triggers during the postcombat phase.
  • Leap of Faith (If a creature you control would die from combat damage this combat from attacking or blocking you may remove from attacking or blocking and put this creature onto the battlefield replacing the removed creature in attacking or blocking. This creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.)

Regent (If this card is in your hand at the beginning of your upkeep and the first card you drew this turn has the same converted mana cost and the same creature type then put this creature onto the battlefield, it becomes legendary, and it becomes your commander for the rest of the game. If you already have a commander this creature and your commander gain partner.)

Shadow Slip : {mana cost different from top of the card (cheaper)} (Before you draw the first card on your turn you may pay {b} to exile this creature. If a creature you control with power less than or equal to this creature's power would die this turn put this creature onto the battlefield from exile, otherwise this creature remains exiled for the rest of the game.)
  • I need help wording Leap of faith and the {b} in the middle of shadowslip is not supposed to be there
  • edited November 2017
    Root (Whenever you cast a spell, you may tap any number of untapped lands and create that many 1/1 green Plant creature tokens.)

A nice, useful and basic Green mechanic
    Figment N (As long as you control no Non-Shadow creatures, this permanent is a N/N Shadow in addition to its other types.)

Notes: Made for Artifacts and Enchantments; Theoretically Lands also work, but they are hard to balance.
  • Turns out I never made a lot of custom mechanics XD

Here's an interesting one that cares about the battlefield...

(Trigger), the battlefield becomes flooded until (end of turn, a certain phase, when a condition is met, etc.). (All lands are Islands in addition to their other types for as long as the battlefield is flooded.)

Interesting things you could do with this mechanic:

-Instant/Sorcery-
    *(Normal effect). If the battlefield is flooded, (alternative/bonus effect).
    * If the battlefield is flooded (effect). Otherwise, (less impactful effect).

-Any permanent-
    *As long as the battlefield is flooded (effect).
    *(Trigger), if the battlefield is flooded, (effect).
  • Wildaxe [cost] (You may pay the Wildaxe cost during any combat phase, this creature gains hexproof and deals damage equal to its power to target player. Exile this creature until your next upkeep.)

I know the wording might need some work, but I thought this was actually a fun bounce mechanic for small creatures with a primary focus on red.

• Here's a few:

Runic: Runes you sacrifice can help pay for this spell. Each Rune you sacrifice while casting this spell counts for {1}.)
    This goes with:
    Rune Token: A token that can be sacked to add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool that can only be used to cast instants or sorceries.
    Or:
    Cards with the Rune subtype.

Bond: At the beginning of your end step, creatures with Bond become bonded with another creature its controller controls if it is not already. If the creature cannot bond, it must be sacrifced. Bonds go away if the creature it is bonded to dies, is exiled, leaves the battlefield, or the creature with Bond or the creature it is bonded to changes controllers.

Dominate: Whenever a creature you don't control dies, (effect)
    [Looks like: Dominate--Whenever a creature you don't control dies, (effect)]

Collaborate: As long as you control a creature with a different color than the spell, (effect).
    [Looks like: Collaborate--As long as you control a creature with a different color than
    (card name), (effect)]

Rally: As long as you control a Planeswalker or a Legendary creature, (effect).
    [Looks like: Rally--As long as you control a Planeswalker or a Legendary creature, (effect)]

Intrigue: When this or another permanent with Intrigue enters the battlefield under your control, (effect)
    [Looks like: Intrigue--Whenever (card name) or another permanent with Intrigue enters the battlefield under your control, (effect)]

Stalk: When this or another creature enters the battlefield, you may choose to have this creature stalk a creature you do not control. A creature may only stalk one target at a time.

Flicker: Exile target permanent, then return it to the battlefield under your control.

(Land type)borne: A permanent with this keyword is also a land with the subtype referenced in the key word (if any).
    [Looks like: (Land type)borne: This permanent is also a Land-(Land type) in addition to its other types.
    OR
    Landborne: This permanent is also a Land in addition to its other types.]

• Rally is already an official MTG keyword...and I think a few of the names you used are already in use on this site as well. Please check the list if necessary
  • edited December 2017
    Edit: Deleted comment.
  • Savage- (Whenever this creature is brought down to 1 toughness put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
  • Advise (Exile another target creature you control. When this creature leaves the battlefield return the exiled creature to the battlefield under your control it gains all non-advise abilities of this creature.)
  • Revenge N (Whenever this creature attacks it deals N damage to target creature an opponent controls.)
  • @DoctorFro
    Make sure to insert a "," after "attacks".
  • okay thx @modnation675 plz look at what I posted in faq's and comments and then look at the cardsmith home page recent and tell me why he/she would do that.
  • edited November 2017
    @DoctorFro
    How do you like this new mechanic we made for instants and sorceries that transform into a permanent.

Treachery (An opponent may have you put this onto the battlefield transformed and under your control instead of having it resolve.)
  • Is there a way to un transform it, or is it like tribute and it give u another buff or them a downsidee.