Balance & Format help

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/marshland-path

Assuming that this card was part of a cycle, is it better or worse that a normal fetch in the average modern deck? Would it replace normal fetches? What would the aftermarket value of this card be compared to a standard fetch?

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Well, it's worse (more life+less options). Definitely wouldn't replace them since there's no upside. Considering an average of $10-$20 per fetch, I could see Marshland Path and its related cycle coming in around $2 per?

(Of course, I don't buy almost any MtG, so maybe I shouldn't be giving my advice.)
  • edited October 2017
    @IanLowenthal, this is worse than a fetch but still pretty good. The first thing I thought was "Fetches for mono!" But then I thought "Wait... that defeats the purpose...."

When you say "standard fetch" do you mean a fetch land in Standard (one of my worst recurring nightmares), or just the average fetch?

The problem with this card is that since you can only use it to get a swamp, it's not worth it to put in a Marshland Path instead of a Swamp, since the former just costs you 2 life.
    If it tapped for a different color, but could also be sacrificed to get a Swamp, you might have something.

I think it's an interesting idea, but it's just not worth it to run it in a deck.
  • @MagicChess @Faiths_Guide Mission for budget fetch lands fulfilled. Do you think I could lower the life payment to 1 then?
  • Or maybe you could add something else like "{t}: Add {c} to your mana pool."
  • @IanLowenthal, lowering the life payment still wouldn't help; there's no advantage to running a Marshland Path over a normal Swamp unless you use @Tomigon's idea. Giving the lands the ability to tap for {c} would work.
  • @MagicChess Why not use it to fetch shocks and the like?
  • edited October 2017
    @MagicChess
    Right, @IanLowenthal hasn't limited it to basics.

Plus, this card would love it!
  • @MagicChess
    I'd run it in a mono. It's still mana, but deck thins.
  • Let's do a simple comparison:

Marshland Path
    Land (R)
    {t}, Pay 2 life, Sacrifice Marshland Path: Search your library for a Swamp card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Bloodstained Mire
    Land (R)
    {t}, Pay 1 life, Sacrifice Bloodstained Mire: Search your library for a Swamp or Mountain card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Anything Marshland Path can fetch, Bloodstained Mire can get at a lower cost. But Bloodstained Mire can also get another land type to, so if both are available Mire is strictly better.

@MagicChess my more experienced MTG playing friends have told me that one of the advantages of a fetch is that it filters your library. You get a land and also have fewer lands in your library so you are more likely to get the cards you win with. Almost like circumventing the minimum deck size rules.
This discussion has been closed.