Lord Wolffe's Custom Mechanics Challenge!

Hello there! I've been gone from MTG Cardsmith a little while, but now I'm back and getting into contests again. Some of you may remember my biweekly themed Planeswalker contests (where Smithers must create planeswalker that fit a certain new or inderused theme, like dragons or werewolves) which I hope to start again in early November, if this goes well. Anyways, without further ado, here's this contest's theme.

I have created 4 new mechanics, which you must use at least one of in the cards you create. These are:

Archangel: When this creature enters the battlefield, it has the greatest power among creatures you control, [effect].

Fallen Angel: When this creature deals combat damage to a player, choose one: [2+ effects]. **(Note: Only creatures with the creature types Fallen Angel or Fallen Archangel may have this mechanic.)

Corrupt: Exile target non-black creature and create a token that's a copy of it tapped under your control. It becomes black in addition to all other colours, and has "This creature doesn't untap during your untap step unless a creature died last turn."

Demonize: Take control of target non-Demon creature and place three -1/-1 counters on it; it becomes a demon in addition to all other creature types and has "After this creature kills another creature, remove a -1/-1 counter from it."

Keep in mind that these are subject to balance changes as the contest progresses. The contest will be closed for judging at 12pm EST on November 6th. I will choose 3 winners, and an honorable mention will be picked by myself and the first place winner. I will favorite each card that is submitted. Each person may submit up to three entries. prizes are as follows; but above all, remember to have fun!

1st Place: 4 likes and a follow, or 6 if I already follow you. You get to choose an honorable mention.

2nd Place: 3 likes and a follow, or 4 if I already follow you.

3rd Place: 2 likes and a follow, or 3 if I already follow you.

Honorable Mentions (x2): 1 like.

Comments

• edited October 2017

Heres my attempt at the fallen angel mechanic :)
  • The formatting may be janky, but it does what it needs to do.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vaartahl-the-watcher
  • edited October 2017
    I guess before anything else, I should add/clarify one thing. Only creatures with the Fallen Angel creature type should have that mechanic.

@Djayhero and @NokiSkaur, besides formatting your cards are good!

EDIT: Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

• That's not proper notation for choice mechanics, though. I haven't been able to find a card with a triggered or activated choice mechanic, so I have nothing to go off of.
  • @NokiSkaur That's not what I meant. Choices are up to you, that was meant to show layout and creature type.
  • Seeing as I only have 3 entries, I'm going to extend the contest to November 10th. Also, a reminder that everyone can have up to 3 entries!

@TenebrisNemo, great card!
  • edited November 2017
  • edited November 2017
    @Lord-Wolffe-III
    I think you should stop using colon(":") after keywords. If you use it, they all look like activated abilities. But there are no [Cost] before colon, so we don't know what to do. If I understand them correctly, Archangel, Fallen angel are ability word. But I can't understand Corrupt and Demonize are action keyword or activated ability keyword. So I made my versions.. They might be very different from original.

^Corrupt -Action keyword
    ____ becomes corrupted. (It gains "At the beginning of your precombat main phase, exile a card from your hand." and "{3}, {t}: Target player gains control of this creature.")

Original says "nonblack", but I decided to ignore it, because I think the black character is the easiest to be corrupted. I like your idea that the corrupted creature enjoy seeing death and only works when it's happy. But my concept is different. My version of corrupted creature wants rewords from it's controller(exile a card from your hand). If you don't give it what it wants, it no longer fights for you. I also decided not to add black to the creature. This is just because I didn't want the text to be so long.

^Demonize -Action keyword
    demonize 'non-Demon creature'. (It gains "Cumulative upkeep - Pay 1 life." and "When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield under target opponent's control. It becomes a Demon in addition to its other types.")

I know non-evergreen keyword in reminder is crazy, but I think it's fun! Demonized creature makes it's controller weaker, and forces that player a choice of sacrificing it or not. If it is sacrificed, it returns to your place as a demon.
    I tried to use the original once, but the wording is a bit wrong, and text becomes very long if I fix it-
    (You gain control of target non-Demon creature and put three -1/-1 counters on it. It becomes a Demon in addition to its other types and has "Whenever a creature dealt damage by this creature this turn dies, remove a -1/-1 counter from this creature.")

Also this is only my opinion: Giving a creature additional types and colors are very flavorful and cool. But I think people might not like it. Text becomes long, and also memory issue happens.
  • @Tomigon Thanks for your input and cards! As you know a lot more about the wording and technicalities of MTG, would you mind if I used your versions of the Corrupt and Demonize for the remainder of the contest?
  • edited November 2017
    No, not at all! :D
  • Hello i am new and this is literally my first time at doing this :P , so ill give you the link if you dont want the link and want the card in here ill learn how to do that !
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/te-senshi
  • Nice job @proabis! That's pretty good for your first contest. The cards look pretty good, my only criticism being the usage of uppercase and lowercase letters, but that's negligible.
    I used Tomigon's Demonize
  • Last day for entries! I will begin judging today, by the contest will be closed for entries at 12 am EST (yes, midnight) just in case more folks want to enter. Good luck everyone!
  • Results are here!

1st Place: @TemebrisNemo with Living Oath of Old
    2nd Place: @Tomigon with Blood Ritualist
    3rd Place: @Beck with Demonic Mutation
    My Honorable Mention: @NokiSkaur with Vaartahl, the Watcher
  • Thanks for the challenge! I'm glad you like my version of the mechanic.
  • Congrats to ALL of the top 4!
This discussion has been closed.