Renaissance Set — Design Phase

Comments

• Heeeeerm, could it rebirth itself? It looks cool, maybe a legendary creature... maybe not...
  • @brcien: Its casting costing? XD
    @ningyounk: Another good idea. Where would he/she fit into the storyline?
    @TezzeretofCarmot21: I think that Rebirth would work on legendary creatures, because you blink them, so there's no complication with the legend rule.

• @MagicChess maybe three :V effect wise feels multicolored to me but if single would be Green. Blinking and maling weenies seems pretty good doe.
  • @brcien, true. It does have a WUG feel, or something like that.
  • @brcien @MagicChess It's a very white effect colour pie-wise since it combines blink and +1/+1 counters ^^ Think white cards about journey like Side Quest in Unstable x)
  • I mean, make it white if you want :V I wanted to rationale white for the art but I couldn't. Life and evolution are both green themes, though like I said it feels multicolored for some reason.
  • @everyone: Early in the set design, we considered making a series of artifacts/enchantments called Masterpieces, which represented the greatest works of art on Rezatta. I think that we should revive that, perhaps making one for each of our five main characters, and perhaps some for other major characters (a legendary gorgon sculptor, perhaps? There should definitely be one for the main baddie, the one who channels Desire).
  • I agree on making Masterpieces. They can be used a really flavorful tool and can support different strategies, not unlike the monuments of Ahmonket.
  • I'd say they sound like Rare / Mythic Rare cards, maybe legendary a priori? Would you rather make art pieces (sculpture / painting / building / poem / dance / else) or tools (chisel / brush / compasss / pen / dancing shoes / else)?
  • I think the former would be best. We could do a separate cycle with tools, though.
  • edited December 2017
    It would be especially cool to do a rip off of the most famous pieces of art from Renaissance then (admitting we find the right art for it!) That would give us more tropes to sink in our main theme.

I'm thinking at the very least:
    - Mona Lisa by Da Vinci
    - The Sistine Chapel and more specifically its painted roof by Michaelangelo
    - Hamlet by Shakespeare
    - Classical Ballet which is hard to assign to someone specifically, but I'd lean toward a strong french figure like Catherine De Medici or Louis XIV a.k.a. the Sun King

And maybe also (not necessarily as "Masterpiece" cards, but any reference would be great):
    - The Birth of Venus by Boticelli
    - The Last Supper by Da Vinci
    - The School of Athens by Raphael

I'm not sure how many diversified and cool Masterpieces we can put in our list, we may want to enlarge our scope to technology as well? I'm thinking:
    - The Copernician Model (Earth is round and revolves around sun) could be represented by some kind of globe/map
    - The Vitruvian Man by Da Vinci perfectly emphasizes the progress in anatomy, it doesn't have to be a painting though, it could be a mannequin or even a book
    - Printing could be represented by an artifact pretty easily as well
  • edited December 2017
    @ningyounk
    Working on a concept for the Sistine Chapel right now. Should have it up in the next 30 minutes.

Finding a workable art was difficult, so this is just a concept, for when we find a better art.

• edited December 2017
    Looks like I'm late to the party.
    Neh'Threm was spawned by the hunger of the land. A beast with a bottomless stomach who feasts on Phoenixes to both satiate his hunger and fuel his flaming breath. Wherever Neh'Threm goes, he is always on the hunt.
  • @Fantastic_Fantasy_Cards
    I'm not sure how much of this thread you read, (20 pages is a lot, after all) but while Painborn Sculpture kinda fits when you consider the life matters theme, I think the general consensus was +1/+1 counters over -1/-1 counters. And I'm not quite sure why Neh'Threm would be a possibility. It doesn't seem to fit anything we've talked about.
  • imageimage
    I dunno about this. Psylian life on artifacts feels like a no-no unless its just on entry. Gaining normal life seems like a waste with Psylian life in the set. Dealing damage or losing life feels dangerous with artifacts and doesn't really make sense for this type of card. Paying life also didn't seem right. So on artifacts, which I assume the masterpieces would probably be, effects dealing with art tokens seem the most right. Still, that mechanic feels so weird on an artifact. Also love how inceptive making a card about a piece about art is.

imageimage
    Can't have too many common concepts.
  • edited December 2017
    @Lujikul Oh, a land is actually a good idea, I didn't think of it ^^ We should search for both a pattern shared by all the Masterpieces so they're recognizable and what each individual Masterpiece is about.

For the shared pattern:
    - At first I was thinking of a loose artifact cycle (possibly colored) but allowing lands and maybe other card types could actually be fun. If all Masterpieces but one lean towards artifacts, we may want to make the Chapel an artifact as well.
    - Could be artifacts with no mana costs (I'm trying to make them feel unique)?
    - Could be artifacts that have an effect when they're discovered (likely way too parasitic)?
    - Could be cards that have an effect when they're in your opening hands?
    - Could be cards that give you building restrictions?

For the individual Masterpieces, the Vitruvian Man could be a Human tribal card? x)
    For the Sistine chapel, we could maybe turn its name from being based on number 6 to number 5 just to wink at Magic's colours, and have it be a mana stone of some sort?

@Fantastic_Fantasy_Cards
    On Neh'Threm: I like the phoenix tribal thing, I think they go well with the Renaissance theme since they keep rebirthing. The rest of the card feels out of place to me (the name doesn't click with the plane, having a legendary hungry hydra seems like it would compete for the flashy legendary slots of our Muses, etc.) Moreover, it's too strong, 8/8 haste trample reach for only 4 mana is really not ok even with the two phoenixes x) You have the "Hunted" cycle if you want to get an idea of how to do this kind of cycles powerwise, it's always useful to compare with already existing cards to get a sense of balancing for your cards: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&name=+[hunted]&set=+["Ravnica: City of Guilds"]

On Painborn Scultpure: I like the concept, it blends really well with the set mechanically =) We don't have -1/-1 counter in this set but this can be easily achieved by entering with +1/+1 counters and removing them instead of adding -1/-1 counters. There are some minor execution problem (missing the artifact frame, you trigger at the beginning of your end step instead of end of turn, etc) just so you know but they don't matter in concept phase ^^

@brcien
    On Gallery: I feel like they would need to explore some new design space, both versions feel a little tame mechanically in my opinion. You don't *have* to use the set keyworded mechanics, think things like Panharmonicon for instance! ^^ I'll try to come up with something too.

On Tedious Hours: I really like the flavour and art, mechanically I would go with the second version without the token restriction (though the first version works perfectly fine as well) ^^ I'm still unsure of what's better though: Compose after the boost or Compose with a smaller number THEN give the boost to immediatly pump the tokens you created? Both feel slightly unintuitive :/
  • edited December 2017
    @brcien, I can't seem to be able to view the cards you posted earlier.
    EDIT: Never mind ;)
    Have changed one of theTedious Hours concepts since @ningyounk commented? Of the two that I saw, only one lets you Compose at all.
  • @MagicChess No I was refering only to the second one ^^ I was wondering what was the right way to do this kind of effects.
  • @ningyounk, ohhhhhhhhh. I get it XD
  • The Gallery Majestic (7)
    Legendary Artifact
    Tap a nonland permanent you control: Compose1
  • @brcien
    Goes infinite with itself. Tap it to make an art then tap the art to make another art, etc.
  • drats foiled again
  • edited December 2017
    I picked my brain on the Vitruvian Man, I kinda like the idea of looking to the Humans in your graveyard because Da Vinci's progress in anatomy was made mainly through dissecting corpses. Here's a try with "basically Human Delve":

• @ningyounk, a more succinct way to put the first part would be "Each Human card you exile from your graveyard while casting The Man by Avinzi pays for {1}."
  • @ningyounk
    I like it. It has a very strong "build around me feel" that can work fairly well, since it isn't difficult to build a deck with a fair number of humans.

For wording, I'd propose the following, referenced from delve.

Each Human card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for {1}

• @MagicChess @Lujikul I took the wording from Delve actually ^^ The reminder text for Delve is one of those reminder texts that has been shorten because reminder text is different from rules text. But when you use a mechanic without its reminder text, you have to use the exact rules text which in this case is a bit longer (you can find it in the comprehensive rules):

702.65a Delve is a static ability that functions while the spell with delve is on the stack. “Delve” means “For each generic mana in this spell’s total cost, you may exile a card from your graveyard rather than pay that mana.”
  • The Man looks... creepy. Keep on Avinzi-ing!
    #avinzi (I just “discover”ed hashtags on MTGCS xD)
This discussion has been closed.