Tournament of Champions! (The game has begun)

Comments

• @Faiths_Guide Winners may post their next card from the moment they have won but before the next deadline (which will be approximately 5-7 days after the 8th match).

Also the package that Mishra got from Krautus special parts and made of alloys that are very resistant against magic, fire, lightning and corrosion. It also gives parts of the same defensive effect to surrounding metal.
    These parts where used on the "assistant" which made it resistant against Bafae's signets and rune magic.
  • edited February 2018
    Radhe

She was stepping outside of the residential building on her way to the city when she stopped. She saw someone on his or her knees working at the side of the federation building.
    She decided to look a little closer so when she had passed the stone fence she saw what he was working with.
    Flowers! So many flowers of all colors and types, some easily recognized such as roses, tulips, lilies, carnations, orchids and many more.
    There were also some unfamiliar ones.
    The scent was very relaxing and calming.
    How could it been that she had not noticed this place before?

"Hello there" The person had noticed her. It was the tall man that presented the earlier three games. He was middle age, probably 40 or so. He was blond with a great beard but his face was damaged with two scars.
    "Don't be shy little friend, come here"
    His voice was soft and warm.
    She walked towards him.
    He presented himself as Henric but everyone called him Sir Wardnan, well except Nathan. They talked a about flowers, backgrounds and a little of everything.
    Radhe got to know that Sir Wardnan had a long time ago been a warrior of another land. He had during one of his journeys stumbled upon Legorna where he settled down and got a wife. A wife who got him into gardening and flowers. He had changed his life with hand covered with blood to a life with hands covered with dirt, and he never looked back.

Radhe asked what these flowers where as she pointed at some unknown ones.
    "Oh this is a red dawn kiss, smells like dry raspberry and fresh lemon" he said as he pointed at a red tall flower. "And this is a Rainbow sky, smells like cow farts." He went through many flowers of all colors and scents and then he came to a small hydrangea looking flower. It had an ugly grey color with black tips. "This one, this is an ugly little fella but don't let the appearance deceive you."
    He asked Radhe to take a smell of it. It had a very modest scent that reminded of mint. As she tried to get a better chunk of the scent she started to feel very relaxed and almost a little sleepy.
    "It does not look like much to the world but it is a very useful one. I often put a pot with it in my daughter's room to help her sleep. She however do not like it as she hates how the flower looks. I think it is a little cute."

The door to the federation building flew open and two soldiers went out followed by man dressed in a noble dress. "The delivery shall be made next week and no less than 1340, equiped and ready." The man said as Clementia followed out of the door. She looked upset and angry. "They requested 2100 but the federation was able to decrease the amount so you should be happy over this."
    "How about the agreements and the..." - Clementia
    "The circumstances have become worse so the agreement must be over overruled. Or do you want us to force a new agreement Miss?"
    Clementia did not answer.
    "Well i think we are done here. 1340, next Saturday or there will be consequences. Good day." The man and this two guards walked down towards the city.
    "Sir Wardnan!"
    "Yes ma’am"
    Henric said as he hurried into the federation building, leaving Radhe alone in the flower garden.

• edited February 2018
    @Jonteman93 Next card you say? Coming right up. We left Beq after she had barely won in her match against the rogue Neora. @Baron-777 very nice card and it was by mostly luck that I won that one! Great job, and I can't wait to see the rest of Neora's timeline! Thanks for the well wishes too!

@Faiths_Guide in relation to what you said before about Beq's reliance on the arena, well before the contest even began I finished Beq's character and timeline, and she gets new powers which are gonna help her a bit more! (But I'm still scared as hell) Now to the story part:

Beq's head still hurt. Neora hadn't gone easy on her and the only reason she had won that round was luck of the draw. She couldn't rely on the landscape as much in the next round. However, what she had been working on might just solve her problem.

The journey by ship to Legorna had been the longest, and first time Beq had stepped off dry land. She had hated every second of it. The rolling gait of the wooden planks between her feet had almost made her jump off the fragile vessel. But the wind, and the clouds, and the crashing waves had changed something inside Beq. Something was different. Her life had taken on a new twist. She knew the second round was going to be even more interesting than the first. Because Beq had something new to play with now. She smiled.

The ground met the sky. And then the sparks flew to her fingertips.

So to help @Jonteman93 out a bit, here's a list of Beq's abilities that she had and now has with her 2nd form:

- Combat Skills
    - Geomancy

- Electromancy - calling lightning from the sky and electrifying stones
    - Immunity to lightning
    - Minimal control over fire - that comes from the lightning strikes
    - Minimal immunity to fire

Happy Tournamenting everyone!
  • (Well written, @Jonteman93. I wonder what happens next...)

(Also, cow farts had me in splits, it was so unexpected.)
  • "And with this, your training is complete. It is a great honor to teach a god. You must be, as kop-ki-do usually takes up to 10 years to master, but you managed it in 10 hours!"
    - Rakahanui, Kop-ki-do Master

*If you are wondering what just happened, Jahanacicus now knows Kop-ki-do, which is basically ninjitsu but with more magic and role-polies.
  • @HeroKP teach a god? were you not a spawn of a god?
  • Well, Rakahanui doesn't know that, isn't it obvious he is just speculating about Jahanacicus's nature? And, yeah, he'll basically reach god-status in the next evolution. But so far, he is still technically ethereal spawn.
  • @HeroKP Are you sure you want Jahanacicus to present himself as a god in Legorna. As the priest from earlier indicates, there are gods in this world: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/priest-of-the-abyssal-god

If he does not present himself as a god but revealed his powers as godly. Rakahanui would most likely assume that he is a servant of any of some specific gods.

Sorry if this puts sticks in the wheel for you. I just want you to keep the lore logical. Specially when it is related to the gods as you guys will be introduced to at least two of them in one way or another. This depends on the match results.

• edited February 2018
    @Jonteman93 No sticks, absolutely! It just changes what the master said a tiny bit, not the consequence of my hero getting bulked up. Whatever you think is more logical suits me the best.
  • Tiamat sat in the middle of a field next to Legorna, leaning to her greatsword which she stuck in the ground. The clouds in the sky hid the sun from her sight. Silent winds could be seen traveling through the field. She had a white flower on her palm for a while before the wind took it and went to the distance.

She closed her eyes. Jahanacicus has given her an evil eye everytime she has bumped into him. With all the gear he has been working on, he will definitely be an interesting opponent in the upcoming match.

"Show me the strength of your heart, ethereal assassin, and I will show mine."

Then Tiamat's thoughts wandered to an old memory. Deep forests, great hills and a large cavern. Place where she grew up; her home.

The cavern was large, but not dark. When it was day, sunlight came from a large crack in the roof of the cavern. But in this memory, it's night, and the gentle moonlight illuminated the cavern.

In the middle of the cavern there was a dragon and a child. A great, green dragon and a little, young girl. The dragon was sleeping, but the girl was awake.

"Mom... mom!"

The girl whispered to the dragon, which opened its large, bright yellow eyes.

"Mom, what am I? Whenever I am with humans, I feel alone. Why don't they accept me, even though I look like them?"

Because they are afraid of things which are different from themselves.

The dragon's thoughts transferred to the girl's mind. Its tone was warm and gentle.

"Then how am I different, mom? Am I not human?"

You are human and my daughter. The humans who live in towns and cities aren't used to those who live within the wilderness... and possess the soul of a dragon.

"What does it mean, mom? Am I a human or a dragon? Where do I belong?"

You belong to this world, Tiamat. Just like everything else. Wherever you go, I am with you. You're never alone. Remember that.

Tiamat opened her eyes. The sun was shining and the clouds were breaking in the sky. She was filled with warmth. Deep down she knew this tournament will hone her soul into something anew. She got up, took her greatsword, and returned to the city.
  • Maern left the mercenaries ship to wander around town again, and see if there was any more information he could gather. While it was true people stayed away from him, he knew how to get them talking with him, both because of his uncanny skill at intimidation and menace, but also because of his upbringing on the streets of his town, doing whatever was necessary to survive for a few more days.
    The city he had lived in appeared to be a trading metropolis, as everyone saw the merchants with their lavish lifestyles and incredible dwellings. However, what people failed to mention was the other side of the city, as the trading port also had streets teeming with beggars, orphans, and thugs. It was a difficult place to live in, but Maern learned how to survive, and soon became a kingpin of the streets. Then, he set his sights higher, and even managed to take down the merchants that stopped the city from prospering in all aspects. He now owned that town, but it made him restless, and he wanted to survive again. This tournament was a blessing to him.
    Reminiscing about the old times when he lived in the deepest corners imaginable, Maern ambled throughout Lagorna, people still clearing out of his way.
  • edited February 2018
    On the previous episode of Kara Slowly Goes Insane...
    Kara imagines how his coming battle will go, slipping into a waking dream. With the first touch of Keres' magic, he loses control and kills dozens of innocents. He then relives traumatic scenes from his past (or the past that he remembers, at least). The episode concluded with Kara imagining an alternate ending for his fight: he warping and killing everyone in the vicinity, and exulting in his power. He pulled himself out of his reverie in time to notice that he had lost some control in the real world, as well. And that his body had underwent some changes: He is now permanently warped.

:::Opening song:::

Kara slowed down after a few minutes. He was breathing heavily from his headlong sprint through the woods. He sat down on the mossy ground, then lay back with his eyes closed. What is happening to me? he thought. Kara recalled the thrill he had felt in his waking dream when he snuffed out the crowd like so many candles, and shuddered. He examined his left arm. Above the elbow, his flesh was distorted in eldritch patterns. At his elbow, his arm had bifurcated slightly, a stump several inches long protruding from the limb. Below his elbow, the flesh had come apart in twisted strands, revealing the bone beneath in places. He looked away in distaste. Kara pulled a spare cloak from his pack and wrapped the arm up tightly so as not to reveal an inch distorted skin. Then with a deep breath, he stoop up and turned to retrace his steps, and saw a long, winding trail of ground and plants drained of life. Kara gasped, then sat again. He closed his eyes and concentrated on keeping his curse in check. He remembered the swirling sands of the desert he had wandered in for years after waking up with no memory. He recalled...

Grey sky, warped landscape, water, screams. He didn't recognize his surroundings. He was by a large body of water, standing on ground that looked exactly like one of the three appearances things distorted by his curse took: chalky white dust. He saw two huge figures, towering over many human-sized ones a ways away. A circle of stones, each in the shape of two square pyramids attached by their bases, surrounded the giants. But the circle was broken. Several of the floating stones didn't glow with the blue light that the others did. Those stones began to crumble, and the ones around them lost their light as well. The two giant figures strode out from the circle, moving on hundreds of tentacles that came out of their waists. The second one came towards Kara, but he didn't move. It had eyes all over its body, mostly in the joints between its insect-like carapace. Jagged black shapes, so dark they looked like holes in the sky, floated above its head like a crown of sorts. Black blades jutted out from its elbows, and its arms ended in three-fingered claws. The air around it seemed to warp, just as it did near Kara. On the ground as he passed, the life was sucked from the world, leaving mind-bendingly geometric patterns like another of Kara's warpings. The humanoid figures swarmed him, but he killed them with little effort. Kara heard their screams as their flesh twisted. Most were slain by the touch of th giant's tentacles, but a few it stabbed with the blades on its arms or warped with blasts of energy that came from its clawed hands. It approached Kara. He should have run, fled screaming away from this monstrosity that was laying waste to this world, but he didn't. He remained sitting crosslegged in the dust, looking up at the figure. Kara should have felt frightened for his life, but he didn't. He felt at peace. A name came unbidden to his mind: Kozilek. The titan was right in front of Kara now. He looked down at himself, and noticed that his body wasn't warped. Strange. Then he looked up at Kozilek and smiled broadly as it stabbed him through the chest.

Kara's eyes snapped open. He was back in the forest in Lagorna. Again his power had gotten away from him and was warping the landscape. He stood in horror. This time he had affected much more area. For a hundred or so feet around him, the ground was warped. Plants crumbled to dust. Small animals screeched as they were twisted into monstrosities. And the edge of the area was still expanding. Panicking, Kara focused. After a long moment, he reined in his curse. In the middle of the circle, Kara fell to his knees and wept.

It was several minutes before Kara could find the strength to move on. He stood and looked at himself. He was distorted once more, and the permanent effects had moved, warping his shoulder and much of the left side of his chest in addition to his arm. Resolute, Kara wiped tears from his face and set out to find Mishra ( @Faiths_Guide ). If anyone knew what was happening to him, the crippled artificer would.
  • edited February 2018
    "I'm afraid."
    "don't be."
    "But you saw what he did two days ago. That power he possessed. He was so emotionless, he did not even seem to care for anything else but his own success."
    "I promise you, there is nothing to worry about. The watchmen will do anything they can to prevent that."
    "It's just that... He reminds me so very much of how Vincent was last year. What if he is the same? Would the watchmen even be able to stop him?"
    "I don't think so."
    "Then who will!?"
    "You know as well as I who would be able to stop him."
    "But we don't have him here, He is in Crastine serving the godess."
    "I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about Terrodus, he saved us last time and he might do so again."
    "Him? He only serves himself."
    "Well, like you said. He reminds us of Vincent."

• Tiamat

She was walking through the city keeping her thoughts on Jahanacicus and the upcoming fight. "Maybe Leandra knows anything of ethereal entities and their maigc." she thought as she started to walk to the library.

It was very quiet and empty in the library. Where is everyone? She walked amongst the bookshelves trying to find Leandra. She had probably searched the through the whole library when a scholar approached her. "Do you need any assistance dear?"
    "Oh yeah, I am looking for a... friend. She is an adult woman with black haired and often dressed in a formal manner. Have you seen her?"
    "Yes as a matter of fact i believe i have seen her. She is in the secluded section of the library. The door is locked but I can open it for you."
    "Oh thank you very much sir"

The young man led her to a metal door in the back of the library and as promised he opened it. Tiamat went in to the section. There was a couple of book shelves, a table filled with books and scrolls, some strange equipment but.
    "Leandra is not here."
    Someone appeared behind her and grabbed her arms. She tried to get loose but this person were very strong and held a firm grip on her. Even with her dragon strength she could not get out of his grab. Another person appeared and put her hands on Tiamat's head while speaking some magical words.
    Tiamat's senses where becoming dull, her vision became darker and she became weaker. It became black and she fell asleep.

A soldier came up to Jahanacicus. "Sir, your battle with lady Tiamat will commence in 2 hours in the Trogon forest."
  • Jahanacicus prepped all his gear and practiced his Kop-ki-do. This was gonna be great.
  • edited February 2018
    ( Does anyone want to claim ownership of R5-T4's head? If so, please message me in a personal comment. )
  • Jahanacicus: *Fashioning a fire-resistant helmet out of R5-T4's head*
  • edited February 2018
    (*FacePalm*)
  • @Faiths_Guide

What? Mishra isn't the only one who's allowed to tinker!
  • (Did you contact @Gelectrode as instructed, @HeroKP?)
  • (I retract my earlier comment.)
  • Gosh, the battle is in 18 minutes! This is so exciting!

[Speaking as me, not Jahanacicus. That guy always plays it cool]
  • .. come on? I am waiting!
  • @HeroKP Relax, there is alot of writing. This is probably the most text heavy of the matches so far.
  • Ok. Sorry. Just try to make it quicker, OK? It is almost midnight where I live, and I have to go to school tomorrow.

BTW, The most text-heavy of matches? Oh boy! Intrigue!
  • @HeroKP You don't have to stay up for the result. If i'm to make an assumption, it will take at least 2 hours for me to finish this.
    If you must have the results this evening I could give you it on a private message.
  • Uh oh, spoilers!?
  • edited February 2018
    Round 5, part 1 - Jahanacicus

He stood in the middle of the arena. His opponent had not yet shown up. He looked at the audience which was very dull except for the children who were very entertained by Nathan's illusion show. He had counted the number of watchmen that operated in Legorna during his time there and all of them seemed to be there except for two, one of which were Oliver. Why were there so many watchmen here for this fight?
    Why did he even care about such nonsense. Where were the dragon girl.
    He took started to spend his time examine the equipment he had with him.

"Ah we can finally begin" said Henric when Tiamat came into the arena, from the other direction?
    Huh, Strange. Jahanacicus could not feel her before she had arrived. In fact, he could not sense Tiamat at all even now when she stood in the arena.
    Must have been Leandra who had in some way found out about and created a talisman that disrupted her presence. Well it matters not much.

Henric presented the contestants as usual and ended with the "Our heroes will never die as long as we have faith in them." And the Audience repeated the sentence.
    "Let the 5th round of this tournament begin!"
    Finally!
    "Follow me mr ethereal" Said Tiamat with a smile.
    She then began to make small happy jumps into the forest.
    "Are you kidding me? Do I also have to endure a fricking chase fight" he thought as he went after Tiamat.
    Behind him he saw Nathan creating two illusions that looked like Tiamat and Jahanacicus in the middle of the arena.

Tiamat jumped through the forest with Jahanacicus chasing her.
    "Come with me mr ethereal, I know of an excellent place."
    Jahanacicus was growing tired of this. He could destroy her in a mere moment but now he was playing chase and run with her?
    No, he had better things to do than run after some small dragon. Dragon avatar or not, this had to end now.
    He used some of his magic to increase his speed and catch up to the girl.
    He dashed straight through towards her but somehow he lost vision of her and now she was gone.
    "Don't slack behind mr, we have a long way to go" Tiamat shouted from far ahead.

How did she get so far so fast? Jahanacicus proceeded with even quicker dashes but he seemed to never catch up to her. Before long they had left the forest limits behind them and where now moving on some plains before they reached desolated lands. They came closer to some ruins with a dome looking structure appeared in the middle.
    Tiamat stopped at the entrance where she said "We are finally here mr ethereal" before she went inside. The dome structure where alost as large as the central arena and seemed undamaged in contrast to all ruins around it. The outer wall of the dome was filled with markings and text that Jahanacicus could not recognize even less read.

Jahanacicus went inside the dome. It was filled with similar marks as on the inside. The dome's interior consisted mostly of a circular room with basin in the middle. Tiamat was holding a chalice in her hands. "End of the games and the running, this ends here and now." "I thought you liked games mr ethereal"
    "Don't call me mr ethereal, I have a name and you know good well what it is"
    Timat had approached the basin and began filling it with what liquid she had in the chalice as she responded "Aren't we a little hypocritical now. An ultimate weapon of the 10th guild, an unstoppable force, a son of a god or was it a spawn of ethereal gods?
    Who controls the very essence of others spells and have knowledge of the ethereal arts. you have avatars on your side and when you have won the tournament you'll ascend to them, to become a god. We can't forget that your hair glows with majestic powers and you hate ice cream."

"What? how do you know all that? Who are you?" Jahanacicus had raised his saber at Tiamat.
    Tiamat put the chalice away on a table and approached the basin. She covered her face and head plentiful with the liquid. She took a candle she had at the basin.
    "You already know the answer." Where her last words as the candle covered Tiamat in flame. Bits of her face started to crumble and fall off. Her hair burnet away and she grew in size. The figure that had earlier been discussed as Tiamat was now back in his real form. "I have been following your every step since the day you walked into Legorna." Said the pale faced man.

"I have no business with you." Jahanacicus said as he turned to the door which closed shut. "But we have business with you" said the man.
    "You see, you and I and not particulary different from each other. You are willing to do anything within your power to acieve victory. I was the same when I contended the tournament last year. I lost against one who where much weaker than I, just like Tiamat is much weaker than you. So I decieded to take out the leftover contendands to regain my place in the tournament, but i was discovered. So I had to kill that had seen too much. In the end I was cut down by a sword covered in a dark mantra. I should have died but i was given a choice. I could die as any ordinary man, or i could serve and be repaid with power beoynd anything I ever felt. That's why you are here. To make that same choice as I did."

"I won't bow to anyone except my own ethereal gods! If you want me on my knees you'll have to kill me!" Jahanacicus said as he took a balanced stance.
    The pale man drew his sword and responded with an anticipating and bloodthirsty voice.

"With pleasure."

• Maern had finally found someone who would talk to him about the tournament and had agreed to help him out, while still not being frightened by his frightful demeanor. An old man who ran a trinket shop nearing the west edge of the city had taken one look at him and just turned away without a second thought.
    The man didn't tell Maern his name, just that he had been a traveler in his youth, and when he came back to Lagorna he decided to open up a tiny shop for the rest of his days. Like Maern, he knew how to get people to do what he wanted them to do, but unlike Maern, he was adept at doing it without the threat of violence and loss of limbs.
    "I'll teach you how to do it, if you manage to get into the second round of the tournament."
    "How'd you know I was in the tournament?"
    "It's obvious: you're bigger than my average customer, and your clothing is completely foreign. Plus, nobody in Lagorna knows how to use a whip as a weapon, and yours is quite obviously a weapon."
    "So you can teach me something to use against the other contenders?"
    "Not right now; The Lagornian government isn't exactly looking at me kindly right now - how was I to know Wurm eyes were an illegal commodity - but if you win your first battle, then me supporting you won't look out of the ordinary."
    Content with this, Maern left the man's shop, interested in the upcoming battle (an hoping he actually managed to see it this time.)
This discussion has been closed.