Dominaria Leaks (spoiler alert)

Comments

• @ThyMaster what cards are dependent on mechanics introduced in this set? (I'll admit, I only looked over the cards briefly, but most that cared about these mechanics cared about mechanics that already existed)
  • I caved and looked. I can honestly say that I'm just disappointed. Wizards has been avoiding cards that punish players for the deck they're playing, and yet we now have color specific hexproof. We also have a huge amount of weird wording changes. Wizards seems to be trying to jam too much into a set, even if it's a "big" set.
  • @Lujikul the two color-specific hexproofs are supposed to be homages to White Knight and Black Knight, which were originally from alpha. Plus, if you think about it those two cards are only at best 3/2 First Strikers with an ability with 20% of the capacity of hexproof, making them above curve, sure, but far from very punishing.
  • Also, a lot of the wording changes are just simpler, like changing "his or her" to "their" as well as the mana ability change, which might seem weird at first but also saves a ton of space. The same is true for the "this spell" instead of "CARDNAME"
    I will admit, the changing of the redirection rules to making players and planeswalkers is confusing, especially with old cards, but change comes eventually, and "any target" is, again, shorter than "target creature or player."
  • And to think they were also considering slivers xD. I feel like Dominaria should have been saved for the next three set block, to get all of their ideas in without a rushed pace, and switch Dominaria and Core 2019 to another two set block like Vryn.
  • I had to try to figure out how to make my card magus of sulfur work since its damage to opponents can be redirected to planeswalkers they control.
  • I hope they have some way of solving the main problem of 'legendaries matter' mechanics: what to do with extras that are rotting in your hand? Something like the Grandeur mechanic, where you can rid yourself of extras but in a profitable way, would be welcome.
  • edited March 2018
    Rewrite the unfolding Sagas.
  • So, idk if anyone noticed, but near the bottom of the leak there is a ledgendary enchantment called "in bolas' clutches". Is this referencing Nicol Bolas? Is he going to play a role in this sets story arc?
  • @Faiths_Guide , that's probably what I would do, but I guess they don't want overlap between getting counters and getting mana.

@Lujikul , I think it's a good thing to bring those back. Characteristic-specific hexproof is much weaker than protection, and creatures with narrow uses make good sideboard material. I remember sideboarding in Kor Firewalkers against red decks back in the day.

@ThyMaster , are you thinking of Kaladesh? Vryn has only appeared in Magic Origins so far.

@Tbeast430 , yes, that's definitely referring to Nicol Bolas. I guess we won't know for sure what role he plays in the story until the articles start (or get leaked). But that card is one of the Story Spotlights, representing an event that definitely happens in the storyline. If we're placing bets on what happens though, my bet is that Liliana defeats Belzenlok, freeing herself from the Demonic Pact, only to be immediately mind controlled by Bolas, possibly with assistance from the Raven Man.
  • For the third story spotlight card, “Settle the Score,” just calling it now - Belzenlok’s ass gets kicked by Liliana.
  • And @Faiths_Guide , super cool concept card!
  • @Platypusburger I was using Vryn as an idea of a new two block set they could do. I didn't mean it as if the plane was previously used. :)
  • @TheCenterOfTheUniverse except, correct me if I'm wrong, any target refers to planeswalkers as well, as they can be targeted, whereas target creature or player specifically refers to those two.
  • @TheAcidicSpider yes, any target refers to planeswalkers as well, but my point is this change makes the game easier to understand - when I first was playing with planeswalkers, I didn't know that "creature or player" could deal damage to a planeswalker as well, and changing it so things that can hit planeswalkers say damage to "any target" helps with that understanding (in my opinion at least).

After all, currently "deals damage to target creature or player" can deal the damage to a planeswalker as well
  • @TheAcidicSniper , @TheCenterOfTheUniverse

The funny thing is, all the old cards that say "target creature or player" will be retconned to "any target", but in the future if they want to design a card that hits creatures and players but NOT planeswalkers, they'll have to say "target creature or player" again!
  • Phyrexian Scriptures spoiled, damned Wizards welchers holding off articles till Wednesday
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 Next Wed Nes Day to be precise! While Dominaria doesn't look like the most powerful set ever, it has some nice cards in there for sure. I am really excited for the Saga cards, as I run an enchantment theme in my cube. The sagas allow for spell-like effects while still triggering constellation and pumping your etherial armor/ancestral mask dudes. Right now, I'm looking at the Phyrexian Scriptures, but I might try more in the future.
  • @KrampisZman I agree. Set looks AWESOME, my personal favorite saga is The Mirari Conjencture.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 I like the aforementioned Phyrexian Scriptures and the History of Benelia.

I wish there was a different green saga. I want to do a cycle of them in my cube but the Freyalise's whatever the heck it was is just soooooo boooorriiiiinnnngggg.

Maybe I can get some of that sweet historic matters stuff going on in the cube... :)
  • Anyone else think it's weird that the historic mechanic includes artifacts? I'm pretty sure my Vehicles shouldn't really qualify as 'historic'.
  • Ya, weird IMO.
  • @KrampisZman: I'm sure there'll be another green saga. There are multiple white, black, blue and red ones, so I think there'll be some more green ones.

Personally I'm most excited to try out Fall of the Thran. It's been a while since we've had an Armageddon in Standard.
  • @Platypusburger I think in the context of Dominaria specifically having artifacts as historical makes sense. I'm pretty sure the basic idea behind artifacts from the get-go is that they're supposed to be magical ancient relics that you use for power. Remember, the game's founder, Richard Garfield, worked on this set. There is clearly some of his influence in the design, and something tells me historic is one of them.
  • @Platypusburger
    The shortened mana wording makes me think that Gold and Treasure tokens will soon become more plentiful; and I'm happy about that.
  • edited March 2018
    @Faiths_Guide

I'm not convinced by that one. I'd expect it to still be only occasional. Artifact-based any-color mana ramp is fun, but I don't think that's a world WotC wants us to live in full time.
  • But... https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Beeswax/sets/14331

Agreed, I just enjoy the flavorful and giant design space.
  • Dominaria spoilers start TODAY! TODAY! TODAY!
  • Oh man, there is some pretty cool stuff - Opt reprint confirmed! New legendary frame looks amazing! The Weatherlight is being dredged up in the story!
This discussion has been closed.