Post your cards here, see what others think

Comments

• @Animist
    That and buyback is a fairly limited mechanic which is difficult to balance. What Animist has mentioned only makes it more concerning.
  • I remade him into this. What do you think of it?

• I have a card idea but I don't know how to word it. It's supposed to remove a creature you control from combat and replace it with another creature, so as to foil things like Accelerated Mutation.
  • edited October 2017
    @fire12
    Do you want it to be an instant or sorcery? or something else?
  • edited October 2017
    @fire12
    Something along these lines would work as a base. (Sorry for the delay!)
    -----
    You may exchange an attacking creature you control with a nonattacking creature you control.
    -----

But I'd recommend this for balance sake.
    -----
    You may exchange a blocked creature you control with a nonattacking creature you control.
    -----
  • @fire12
    If you want any of the following, it requires extra wording. (I'd suggest against it for clarity sake though.)

1) Attacking creature to become untapped when removed from combat.
    2) Nonattacking creature to become tapped when entering combat.
    3) Additional interactions with vigilance.
  • edited October 2017
    Thoughts?

imageimage
  • edited October 2017
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/aether-leaking-walker

I built this for a set following the events of Aether Revolt. I don't pay much attention to lore, so I'm not sure if it's over or not. Chances are, it's overcosted for what it is. But, I'd rather be one above than one below.
  • @NokiSkaur, here are a couple of corrections I would suggest:

* Maybe change the name into something less awkward? What about "Aetherflux Colossus"?

* Change "Whenever an artifact..." into "Whenever another artifact..."

* Nice art! What happened to it's right fist though?

Thoughts?
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lust-6
  • @Gelectrode

I'm pretty sure that the fist is supposed to come down to a point. Thanks for the advice!
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/creeping-despair

Hello, made this for a custom set of mine. Just looking for feedback with regard to the wording conventions for the second paragraph. Is the the phrase "you may return Creeping Despair to the battlefield" or could I just put "you may attach Creeping Despair to target creature" the implication being that the Aura never left the battlefield?

Also are there any good resources for wording conventions with regard to specific cards and abilities?
  • Just realised it's a more expensive variant of Glistening Oil.

just entered this in the chance circuit challenge: just wanted a card that would use chance to... basically mess with chance in general xD
  • @Credius - I believe the correct formatting of the abilities would go like this:

During each upkeep, each player flips a coin.

Whenever a player flips a coin and gets heads, he or she draws a card.

Whenever a player flips a coin and they get tails, he or she loses 2 life.

Quite fun card! I also think it would be better if the coin flip during the upkeep would be optional:

During each upkeep, any player may flip a coin.

- - - - - - -

Thoughts?

• edited October 2017
    @TenebrisNemo @Credius
    Make sure to check the re-wording I proposed on Credius' card page.
    Link: Cruelty of Choice

In regards to TenebrisNemo's card, I like the idea a lot. As such, I'm wondering about both of your opinions on the following wording.
    -----
    Players may choose to skip their draw steps during their turn.

If a player begins a draw step, that player skips each of their combat phases this turn.
    -----

Edit: Should the bolded "a" be a "their"? I'm a little bit unsure.
  • edited October 2017
    {Deleted}
  • edited October 2017
    @NokiSkaur
    It could use some alterations, as the options of deathtouch and/or indestructible are very costly on low CMC cards.

But mostly the card feels uneven and towards being a win more card. Especially as it feels like its lacking theme. Keep in mind, these effects were typically for lower rarity cards on Kaladesh that support drafting.

Overall, I think you should focus on using that mechanic in an interesting or odd way.
  • @notrightned

Enchant Creature

At the beginning of your upkeep put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.

When enchanted creature dies, you may return Creeping Despair to the battlefield attached to target creature.
    -------
    I think the card can be {3}{b} uncommon or common
  • edited October 2017
    @Tomigon @notrightned
    Make sure to remember the comma though. (Makes it distinct which is the event compared to the effect.)
    -----
    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
    -----
  • @modnation675 - I think it should stay as a. That way it looks like proper MTG language.

What do you guys think?
  • edited October 2017
    @Vitral
    I think the correct wording is
    "At the beginning of your end step, if you've cast a white spell this turn, remove a +1/+1 counter from Sworn in Undeath."

It doesn't need period after vigilance.

I'm not sure about this, but I think it's ok to write non-evergreen keyword after another keyword. Emrakul, the Aeons Torn says "Flying, protection from colored spells, annihilator 6". So maybe your card can say "Vigilance, undying". That will make space in the text box and the card will look neater.

I think card power is ok.
    Vigilance is not a black ability, so if you don't want to break color pie, the card must make you pay white mana({2}{w}{b}). The last ability makes me think "Why only white?" How about creature spell instead?
  • @Tomigon
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I agree with you, that ability probably works more with creature spells.
  • @modnation675

Alright. that makes sense. I've never played draft, and Kaladesh isn't one of the four sets that I've played limited for, so I wasn't sure how well that would fit in. Thank you for the advice!
  • edited October 2017
    @Vitral
    Just make sure to space the abilities out for future cards. It makes it more legible for the reader.
  • @NokiSkaur
    No problem, we're just glad we could be help. :)
    Thoughts? Is it balanced? Is it an interesting idea?
This discussion has been closed.