Planeswalkers - mortal or immortal?

I would like to know everyones opinions on the matter of whether or not planeswalkers are immortal. In mtg you (as a planeswalker) have a certain amount of life, and when it is depleted, you are supposedly either killed, or just defeated. But, planeswalkers are incredibly powerful and summon minions, making it seem that they could be more than just mortals. Discuss!

Comments

• In Mtg: Duels of the planeswalkers 2014, in the expansion pack, you are searching planes for a potion that will slow your aging. So therefore, in my opinion, I conclude that planeswalkers are mortals but can take steps that can change their mortality or length of life.
  • Venser is dead.
  • If my memory of the lore is right, they have never been immortal. They have been close to immortal, but could still be killed. It was more difficult, but now the planeswalker are mortal and can be killed. It is still not easy, but it is easier than what it was. If you want an example of planewalker's mortality, look at Ugin, one of the strongest planeswalkers..he died. So yes, very mortal.
  • Elsbeth is just another example
  • But Ugin got saved by Saekhan Vol ending the Khans of Tarkir and beginning the dragons of tarkir.
  • Elspeth, Sun's Champion is one of my favorite plainswalkers. she in very cool and is also on the card "god's willing".
  • Urza was pretty much immortal...
  • But even Urza died, and he also showed signs of aging before his untimely demise.
  • Lilliana has avoided death but rare instances but without the Chain Vail Lilliana would be dead.
  • Freylise also died as well as Serra and Urza pretty sure Teferi is on death row or he is dead himself.
    Also Xeganos is dead sorry to tell you but elspeth killed him with her weapon Godsend.
  • edited August 2015
    But the Mending is a key part of the story of MtG Where Planeswalker were almost like gods and were changed to normal mortals which had the powers to walk from plane to plane
  • they used to be immortal and godlike until the mending.
  • Before the mending only another planeswalker could kill a planeswalker so they were basically immortal. After that, they could all die, and I belive Nicol Bolas is the only planeswalker that still exist from before the mending.
  • @Oduda
    I believe Liliana is also from before the mending, although it's kind of weird she was never mentioned until Lorwyn or whatever.
  • Planeswalkers were pretty much gods (they could create their own planes, for instance) and were immortal until the mending. Now they are mortal though generally very long-lived. Sorin, for example, is around a few thousand years old, though that probably has a lot to do with his vampirism.

See the following:
    http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Planeswalker#Storyline
    http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Mending
    http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Sorin
  • @Damnation Lilliana was aging normally until Nicol Bolas had her go into the service of 5 demons to become practically immortal, and young. So I would think that would put her after the mending, though I don't know for sure.
  • @Oduda
    She was the daughter of a Dominarian warlord, and after she caused he accidental death of her brother, her spark ignited. It was after the Mending that she made the deal with the four demons to extend her life. Bolas did not directly tell her to do so, but she is still a pre-Mending planeswalker.
  • @Damnation
    Taken directly from MTG site
    "Four demons, you said. And the cost is my soul, right? Payable upon my death?"

"It's not quite that simple."

"Of course not." Liliana sighed. "Nothing is ever simple with you, is it, Bolas?"

"On the contrary, many things that your mind can't even begin to fathom are quite simple to me."

She snorted. "Your modesty is truly breathtaking."

"A simple statement of fact, Liliana Vess. After all, you are merely human."

"'Once, we were gods.' I need that power back, Bolas. Power and youth and strength. Even if it costs my soul."

So yes it does seem that Nicol Bolas did in fact tell her to do so, and even transported her to the demons lairs.
  • @Oduda
    Which book? Some books have been proven somewhat misleading, like Test of Metal.
  • Also, Brady Dommermuth's comment on the community forum states that she simply searched for the four demons, so whether or not Bolas ordered her to do so is up to debate.
  • @Damnation book? I took that directly from the MTG website for Origins. I haven't read any of the books, I don't think any of them are still in print.
  • @Oduda
    Ahh, okay. Well, I looked through the story as well, and found this directly before the section you pasted.

"As I told you, I can put you in touch with the beings that can help you."

This does not mean Bolas had her do so. He simply offered to lead her to the four demons she made pacts with.
  • edited September 2015
    Planeswalkers have always been mortal, in that they could die, however pre-mending, they were Immortal in that naturally they never died, they could age, but they were on a level far beyond the gods of theros, and even above the demonlords, they were very powerful. Then somebody facked up and nothing has been the same for them since, as now they are very much mortal, and may only live a few hundred years although, as of right now we know Nicol Bolas to be tens of thousands of years old. I also forgot to mention that Karn is a golem, so he may be truly immortal, but we won't know for how long he can last in the blind eternities, as he threw himself into when last he was seen.
  • @THEGreedyMerk
    They didn't **** up, it was time rifts.
This discussion has been closed.