Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• I have a question. How should I word an effect that basically gives each player 2 turns instead of 1 (Like the Temporus brawl from Hearthstone.)
  • @Lastjustice

I know those cards exist, what I'm trying to ask is how would word a permanent that makes each player take two turns instead of one each turn.
  • @MonkeyPirate2002
    Only card I can think that does something like that is this.

Ultimately that would be a really powerful effect, and would extremely dangerous. In a group game that would make it a slog as everyone would get two turns. It just doesn't feel like something magic needs or you could make a keyword that would be at each level of rarity. You would probably only make a single card that ever did that sort of thing.
  • edited November 2018
    @LastJustice

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edit: I've got it figured out. It might be badly worded but here it is!

(Yes I know its OP as hell. I want it to be like that.)
  • edited December 2018
    I have a recent update to my 'mechanic' called Halted. Due to a couple of responses back to the original version of Halted, I decided to revisit the ability, and I came up with a different version that felt more flavorful to the keyword.

Halted (If this creature is tapped, at the beginning of the next combat step, tap target creature you don't control.)

@Tomigon, I'm hoping you like this more. Also, I edited the cards I have in my Halted set folder that use Halted to adhere to the latest version. It has been used mostly in White or Blue cards (other colors that are questionable was red, but that was because it was on a multicolored card, so instead of updating that card to the new halted I took off the keyword ability and just left the original version of halted just its not what halted does anymore.)
  • edited December 2018
    Just an update since I can't go so far back and delete the older entries to the encyclopedia here, Devastate, Soul Drain, and Panicked(originally called Scared) are NO MORE, and the old version of Halted has been updated and is called Halt now. Spy has been updated as well.

Restore N (When this ____ enters the battlefield, you may shuffle up to N cards from your graveyard into your library.)

Spy (cost) (You may cast this spell for its spy cost. If you do, this creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control.)

Halt (Whenever this creature becomes tapped, at the beginning of the next combat step, tap target creature you don't control.)

Navigate (cost) ( (cost), Exile this card: Reveal the top card of your library until you reveal a land card. Put that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.)

Navigate needs to be edited some more, and I will post the updated version of Navigate asap.
  • @sorinjace
    Halted (Whenever this creature becomes tapped, at the beginning of the next combat step, tap target creature you don't control.)

And I still don't understand why you use that word like that. But that's probably the problem of my English knowledge. My dictionary says "halt" means something like "stop". So I can only imagine mechanic like this; "Target creature becomes halted. (It can't attack or block.)"

I think spy mechanic is more flexible if it was alternate cost(like Dash) instead of additional cost. If you give a free blocker to an opponent, normally it should cost less than its normal cost. Sleeper Agent is only {b}. But if it's an additional cost, you can't make it cheaper.
    And this is just my opinion, but I think it's more flavorful if it doesn't say "It can't attack its owner."
    One more thing.. This is a very minor issue, but it shouldn't say "target". Because the ability doesn't use stack. It should just say "an opponent's control". Idea Broker has the same mistake.
    So my suggestion is..:
    Spy [Cost] (You may cast this spell for its spy cost. If you do, this creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control. It can't attack its owner.)
  • edited December 2018
    I like it @Tomigon, I'll update spy to what you suggested. As far as Halted goes, I'll update that to what you have suggested as well, and I'll call it Halt now instead of Halted I'd rather have an ability be more easily understood than not! Thanks!!

Spy originally never said 'this creature can't attack it's owner', it was suggested awhile ago by another cardsmith. I'll remove it.
  • edited December 2018
    @Tomigon I'll visit my cards using these abilities and edit them to include the updates asap. Thanks a bunch for the help.

**Edits to my Spy cards have been made. Let me know what you think of them @Tomigon. Here's the link. Ttyl!**

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/sorinjace/sets/32647
  • Wield [cost] ([Cost]: Attach this permanent to yourself. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.)

Basically, it is equipment that you use and attack with, the blockers' attack being dealt to you directly.
  • edited December 2018
    My recent mechanics (some may be quite similar to other mechanics by 'smiths, but that wasn't intentional):

Anomaly {cost} (You may cast this spell for its anomaly cost. If you do, it has base power and toughness 1/1.)
    Weld {cost} (You may cast this spell face down as artifact with '{t}: Add {c}.' Turn it face up for its weld cost.) NOTE: a mechanic exclusively for artifacts + artifact creatures.
    Archive (To archive a card, exile it face down and it becomes archived. You may look at archived cards you own.) Then the card has some way to interact with archived cards you own.
    Dominion N (This creature enters the battlefield ruling N target non-lord creatures.)

Examples:
    imageimage
  • SAVE: take a photo of your playing field, if you were to lose the game, revert to that photo. Shuffle all unknown things.
    This was for a undertale themed card for the biweekly challenge TRIGGERED!!!
  • That would be so OP.
  • edited December 2018
    Devastate x (Whenever "creature
    name" becomes blocked by x
    or more creatures, destroy all creatures
    that are blocking "creature name".)

aggression(This creature can attack other creatures.)
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/cragonodile

Typing (Number) {mana cost} (Look at the top (number) cards of your library. You may reveal a permanent card from among them, and put it onto the battlefield. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    Then put a typing counter on (Creature name).
    Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/tiny-typer
  • edited December 2018
    Creativity - Whenever this creature gains health, create X 1/1 Paper Soldier creature tokens
  • Update: Skillrush (or any better name for it)= The first activation of this creature's activated abilities has no generic mana cost, until end of your next turn.

C Mage {N}= When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay {N}. If you do, search your library for a C enchantment card, add it to your hand, then shuffle your library.)

: Recruit NAME [*N]= Search your library for a [**creature named NAME/*NAME-named creature with N or less converted mana cost], put it onto the battlefield under your control, then shuffle your library. You skip your next draw step.
    *creature with the NAME word in its name
    **creature that is NAME

Hope this gives you any ideas, if recruit has already been done.
  • edited December 2018
    @mlg20555 Rampage already exists, it's an old school mechanic. You might want a different name than that since most people are going think of the original over what you made.

Rampage N” means “Whenever this creature becomes blocked, it gets +N/+N until end of turn for each creature blocking it beyond the first.”

I still use it on cards I make...

image image image

• edited December 2018
    @EnvyReaper
    Maybe "Whenever this creature gains health" is from different game?
    I think it can be either one of these:
    "Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on this creature, ..."
    ..or..
    "Whenever damage is removed from this creature, ..."
    in other words, "At the beginning of each end step, if this creature is dealt damage this turn, ..."

Also "Paper Soldier" is a very strange type. Did you have any specific inspiration? I think Elemental, Illusion, or Construct artifact are more normal. If I would change it, it's going to be something like this;

Creativity (Whenever this creature becomes untapped, you may pay {1}. If you do, create a 1/1 ____ Elemental creature token.)
    *"_____" is the card's color
  • How about bloodrage?
  • @Bowler218 that also exists as a Gruul exclusive mechanic. How about Devastate instead?
  • edited December 2018
    Cook (When this creature enters the battlefield, deal damage equal to it's power to target creature you control, if it were to die this way, you gain life equal to it's toughness)

Distinguished (When this card enters the battlefield each player chooses a creature they control and make a token that's a copy of it, except it's legendary in addition to it's other types)

Deathsight (Whenever a creature you control dies, scry 1)
  • @pjbear2005 Champion is an existing mechanic. You are going want another name for that.May be Paragon or some other word.

“Champion” is a keyword ability that lets one creature temporarily replace another. A permanent is “championed” by another permanent if the latter exiles the former as the direct result of a champion ability.

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Champion
  • @Lastjustice

Good to know, thanks! Off to thesaurus.com!
  • edited January 2019
    Here's two commander based mechanics I came up with. I may have posted them before, but they under went revisions.

image image

Union N- You may have up to N cards named *Blank*in your deck and legend rule does not apply to this card.

Sometimes there's legends like the Brothers Yamazaki http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=85106 who want to have more of the same card in a deck, but normally that's a no go for Commander. So this a way of including the extra ones in your 99 cards. It also allows you go beyond the 4 limit in other foremats if you were to make the union number greater than 4.

image image image image

Faction-*Name* (If being played as a commander, up to N other *Name* may be included in the deck and counted toward identity.)

I wanted come up with a commander mechanic that allowed more groups to be played together but not be partnered in the commander zone as that would be way too powerful. I mean you normally have play some other legendary creature as the commander just so you can get all the creatures you want into the same deck. One of the group still gets act as the commander, but the other members count toward the identity of the decks colors, and get be in the deck. I wouldn't want to make the faction too large, as 4 seems like enough.
  • Idea: include all of these custom mechanics on the front page of this, for easy access