Would this be Overpowered if it were a real card?

I came up with this concept card and I wanted to know if it would be considered overpowered and if so what could be done to balance it. I figured the Mana cost would be enough of a price for something with its ability considering how powerful other creatures of that high of a cost can be.

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/uranium-myr

Comments

• I'll break it all down to you:

First, you have a typo, and a wording issue, but I think you know what I mean.

Uranium Myr's 1/1 adds 1 mana to begin with. His boost ability is really weak, so we'll add 1/2 a mana. Infect is another 1/2 a mana, so now we have 2 full mana. His last ability is pretty powerful, but it will at most be 6 mana as an instant, and given that it's a triggered ability, I'd say add 5 mana to that cost.

Now this card is 7 mana. When a card is 7 or more mana, we pay an over-mana cost so we will take 1 mana away, making it 6. But since it is a rare, we'll have to minus an additional 1/2 a mana. That makes 5.5 CMC

As a result, you can either make this a powerful 5 CMC card or a not so powerful 6 CMC. Don't always over exaggerate the mana cost.
  • @Mellenius
    I think the most important thing here is that as long as there are 10 permanents around when you play this thing (which there probably would be), as soon as it leaves the battlefield the game ends in a draw because everyone dies from poison. I imagine that even if you're trying to build some strange Glacial Chasm type damage prevention combo, this would be terribly unfun to play with or against. So it's not so much overpowered as unplayable. For revision, I'd consider the intent of the card. Presently, each element wants to go in a very different direction.
  • I would suggest lowering the MC and changing the last ability to it deals damage equal to it's power to each creature and then damage to each player equal to the number of creatures that died under their control. I think this allows you to win rather than killing both of the players and also rewards you for they +1/+1 counters.
  • edited November 2016
    @TrippleBoggey3

That's an atrocious way of judging how balanced a card is.
  • It's actually not overpowered, at least compared to similar cards. The main problem is that any player can use it to force a draw at pretty much any time which is really, really annoying.
  • @KimJongMartin
    That's atrocious grammar :)

I was following @TrippleBoggey3 's method up until we got to rarity, then he lost me. A system like this is beneficial when trying to determine CMC but I think the values used here are way off. Of note, rarity is more often a measure of complexity and efficiency than strictly power. I'm not a huge proponent of linking to other forums but THESE TWO articles drastically changed my perspective on valuing cards and their costs. I'd highly recommend them. If the mods decide the links need to come down I'll remove them.
  • He's right in that a good way to determine what a card costs is to compare what the aspects of the card cost by referencing other cards. If you're making something where and you don't know how to cost it because it is pretty unique, break down what it is and what it does and figure out what everything usually costs. The only thing is that before you do any of that, you should generally look at cards that compare wholly instead of piecemeal. Blightsteel Colossus, Child of Alara, Bearer of the Heavens.

However, no cards in all of magic force a draw... Intentionally.
  • The way I find a mana cost is start at a random amount.

If you wouldn't put it in a deck lower the mana cost a bit, Then think if someone played this against you would you yell "WHAAAAAAAt" if so increase the mana cost a bit.

Repeat until you find a middle ground.
  • I have to correct myself since was for some reason revived. There are cards in MTG that force a draw. They're on the reserved list, are terrible and are never coming off. Nothing like that will be printed again either.
This discussion has been closed.