Nostalgia

Sup all you nerds?

So, I was recently looking back at some of my old cards, 'cause I haven't been on in a while, and I honestly forgot most of them.

And then!

Inspiration struck!

So here's what I'm thinking:
What if we all took our oldest card, and re-made it with our new-found knowledge of cardsmithing?

Steps:

1. Pick one of your five oldest cards (Obviously, for those of you that have been doing this for a long time, your first-ever card might be gone by now, so this is the five oldest that you still have)

2. Re-design the picked card. (This is somewhat up to your interpretation. Update the card however you deem fit, as long as it still bares a resemblance to the original)

2a. Keep the name of the card the same, unless you really feel it needs a change.

3. Submit it, and hope ya win!

Rules and such:

1. Obviously, balance is what I'm looking for here, so make sure the re-design is well-balanced

2. I'd appreciate proper syntax, grammar, capitalization, etc.

3. Flavor is always nice, as well.

4. Make sure you post links to both the original and the re-made card, but please do so with the same post.

5. One entry per person, for obvious reasons.

6. I would also appreciate a brief (or thorough) synopsis of the thought process you went through to change the card. (Don't worry, this doesn't have to be a huge paragraph)

7. It might be a bit cliche, but have fun!

Prizes:
1st: 5 favorites and 3 doses of constructive criticism on cards of your choice.

2nd:3 favorites and 1 dose of constructive criticism on cards of your choice.

3rd:1 favorite on a card of your choice.

Constructive criticism on most entries will be a given!

Deadline is going to be 2 weeks from today, so that's ... August 14th, Monday

Comments

• Here's my example!

Original:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/power-siphon-2?list=user

Remake:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mana-siphon-2

I started by thinking about the idea this card was trying to inspire, which appeared to be a sort of way to progressively pause your opponent as the game furthered. Obviously, this card is far too overpowered to be usable. So I decided that to fix it, I would start with the mana cost. Being two each of two colors was kind of sloppy, so I trimmed it down to a nice 4 mana cost with one blue for the flavor of the card. I then looked through the set symbols and noticed that Aether Revolt was there, which reminded me of energy counters. I figured this card fit that whole idea, so I decided to swap out the random "siphon counters" for the easier to use energy counters. Then came the decision to make the ability "pay to play" instead of ongoing. I figured it was still a bit too powerful, so I made it a double-edged sword, countering you spells as well as the opponent's.
    In hindsight, I think that maybe gaining the energy counters can be abused pretty liberally, but that's my remake!

(I'm long winded about this stuff)
  • edited August 2017
    I did this not too long ago with my first ever card!

Original and the Remake
    image image

• edited August 2017
    @Victator
    We might have to use a card in our oldest ten or so, as we've edited our oldest cards quite recently.

Although, here is one of our recent edits for one of our cards from halfway into our time here at MTGC. Just for those interested as it had a lot of issues. (Not an entry!)

imageimageimage

• Original:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/forests-revenge
    Edited:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/forests-revenge-1
    I knew the name would stay the same so I started with the art. I wanted to have an ent in the picture so I looked on artstation till I found a good picture. I thought that it should not use the X in the mana cost so I replaced it with an extra generic mana. I then realized that it was a creature and that was not a good idea for a card called Forest's Revenge so I changed it to an enchantment. I needed a value for X and since it was called Forest's Revenge I decided to have it be relevant to lands. I then kept the other ability the same.
  • edited August 2017
    @Victator
    Constructive criticism please
This discussion has been closed.