November Contest: Card That Art! Physical Rewards!

Comments

• edited November 2018
    I cant figure out how to post the image so here's a link: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/gift-of-the-ancestors-1
  • edited November 2018
    Coming in a bit late!
    image image image image image

Each art piece struck me as very powerful and "global" in nature. I wanted to reflect this by having the designs affect each of something in some way. Whether it was creatures on/off the battlefield, nonland permanents, or players, all the cards have indiscriminate abilities. I did a card for each color because it seemed implied by the artwork.

The discerning among you may notice that a few of these designs are spinoffs of WotC cards that didn't see much play because they weren't good enough. ;)

Blue is an instant because... it's blue, and green became a mythic because of how crazy it is.

The cards represent moments in time, hence this instant/sorcery subtypes.
  • Deleting my earlier comment and putting all five submissions here:

• edited November 2018

Good luck to everyone!

@ChainsawXIV, I reread the rules after creating some of the cards and I did not include the artists name. I don't have premium and can't go back to edit my published cards, so will I be automatically disqualified?
  • edited December 2018
  • Corey, why did you...? The image fits better in... oh... was it about the text size?
  • Today's the day folks - get your final submissions in in the next four and a half hours!
  • edited November 2018
    Here are my five and the reason I used the Legendary border is the fact THAT THIS SITE DOES NOT HAVE THE MIRACLE BORDERS.
    That is all.
    imageimage

imageimage

• And that's time!

Judging has begun, and no more entries will be accepted. Please refrain from editing your submissions from here on out.

I expect to complete the judging process and announce winners tomorrow evening!
  • edited December 2018
    Judging is complete!

It's been a real treat to see all the creative cards you've developed for this contest, and deciding on the winners was no easy thing. I'd like to congratulate each of you on your work, and thank you for your contributions. But now, without further adue, your winners!

Prize Winners

@WARMAN9391, @IanLowenthal, @snow601, @EternalWolf88, and @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos, your work distinguished itself by its sound mechanical design, relationship to the artwork, and clean presentation, and you are to be commended! Please pass your shipping information on to @mtgcardsmith (not directly to me) so that I can put your prizes in the mail!

Honrable Mentions

This was a great competition, and while these five cards may not have taken the top spots, they most certainly deserve attention. As with the winners, they're mechanically sound, interesting, and work well with the art, so most of these decisions came down to little details like how well a name fit or the formatting of the text box. @CnBCustoms, @Ranshi922, @pewnd, @Lastjustice, and @Corwinnn - damn fine work!

More Dividers

If you weren't one of our winners and still want to get yourself a pack of card box organizers (or if you won and decide you want to get some more), you can get them with two day prime shipping on Amazon.

Fun Facts

There were far more than ten cards worthy of praise presented here, so I thought it might be fun to call out some fun facts, numbers, and observations I made during the judging process.

There were a total of 177 cards judged for this contest, by 44 cardsmiths. That's a lot of cards to compare, so to help narrow things down, I read through each card, noted the positive and negative things that stood out, and assigned each card a score of up to ten points to put them in rough order. Cards with serious flaws got scores below five, and cards that stood out as great scored six and above. Five points were awarded to good solid cards of the type we see from Wizards all the time.

Among all the cards I scored, the average score was almost exactly five points, so all-in-all folks are producing some pretty solid work! The highest score I gave to any card was an eight, and you can see most (but not quite all, the competition was fierce) on the lists above. In hindsight, I may have set my standard too high for nines and tens, because these are great cards that anyone would love to open in a pack.

The lowest score I gave was a two, which went to a handfull of cards with multiple serious issues in terms of balance, presentation, and relationship to the artwork. Overall though, the most common issues I saw with cards were in the text box: formatting problems affected 26% of cards, and 24% of cards included awkward, confusing, or non-standard wording. This included some of our winners, and wasn't a deal breaker, but did break some ties.

Among the participating cardsmiths, @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos had the highest combined card score at 33, closely followed by both @EternalWolf88 and @RayearthIX at 32 - RayearthIX, I'm awarding you a special honarable mention for overall quality. Your cards got edged out in individual competition, but your work was great overall.

Those three were also tied for most cards in consideration for the final cut, at three, and a total of 22 cardsmiths had cards that came in above the grade and were considered in the hand-narrowing process. Truely an outstanding performance!

Other Contests

Now that this contest is done, I encourage you to throw yourselves into another!

Non-Permanent Permanents - Keep your board state tidy with permanents that clean themselves up in this mechanics oriented contest. (Ends: December 9th)

Welcome it in, Miss Numb - Heaven and Hell collide in this succubus themed contest with prizes including premium time. (Ends: December 10th)

X-MAS CONTEST 2018 - If what you really want for Christmas is puns and a shot at a month of premium, try your hand at this holiday contest. (Ends: December 24th)

Flintlock Fantasy - Pull out the big guns for my own next contest, a genre specific card crafting competition. (Ends: December 30th)
  • Gratz on the winners. Gonna try harder next time.
  • Thanks for participating @fraziel07! You had a several solid cards in there, and Destructive Pyromancy made the cut for final consideration. I look forward to seeing what you do in future contests. :)
  • @ChainsawXIV
    Thanks for mentioning some of the contests from the group hug, even though you didn't have to.

Also, congrats to the winners and honorable mentions of this wonderful contest. :)
  • @murkletins communities aren't about things you have to do, they're about things you want to do. My pleasure! :)
  • Were one of the listed items that made the difference between winning and HM to me? If so, I know which...
  • The difference maker for you on the blue cards there @Ranshi922 was that your card felt very slightly over-costed for what it does to me. If you were worried about the cropping on the image, don't be - I thought it was a good framing choice that made the art a much better fit for your card concept.

Not to repeat it too much, but these were some super hard decisions between a lot of great cards (and that's the kind of problem I like to have).
  • Good job everyone. This was my first contest, and it was really fun. Really cool cards!
  • edited December 2018
    @ChainsawXIV Uh, who's the admin?
  • Sorry about that @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos - meant to replace that with a tag for @mtgcardsmith. Congrats on your win!
  • Congratulations to all winners! Disappointed that I couldn't do well enough, but maybe next time. @ChainsawXIV: did any of my cards even come close to making the cut? I didn't expect any to, but just asking.
  • Astronomical Odds and Skyfall both made it to the final round of consideration actually @KalamMekhar, and all of your cards were solid or better in my opinion. You had two tags for innovative mechanics (Astronomical Odds and Statuesque Seacliffs), which I always appreciate, though the key bit of Statuesque Seacliffs could use some significant clarification in terms of wording I think.
  • That was fun. Hope I did good before the final cut
  • I particularly liked what you were doing with Aether Restriction @pjbear2005, though I did feel like the card as a whole was a bit over tuned.
  • How’d my cards do? Just wondering.
  • Merconis Ward and Birth of the Ivory City were my top picks for you @TezzeretofCarmot21. Merconis Ward in particular I felt was all around solid, while Birth of the Ivory City was well designed but slightly conventional.

I had some concerns about the balance for Blessings of the Whistwood (which just does a lot of things in one package, and feels a bit strong to me relative to other Overrun variants) and Ravvan Retort (which feels like it has radically different performance depending on your mode choices).

Siege I liked quite a lot from a design standpoint, but I didn't feel like it was a super great fit for the artwork given that the art is spirits or ghosts marching away from a castle rather than zombies storming towards it.
  • edited December 2018
    @ChainsawXIV I just already sent @mtgcardsmith my e-mail address, but there has been no response from him. Now what? Hmm...
  • edited December 2018
    I feel like I'm getting mentally blue balled here.

*Sighs...
  • Give it a little time - we're not all on here 24/7 after all. :p
  • Good job with the competition! @ChainsawXIV I realise that you may be posting to Omnibus Games facebook page the winning entries, just letting you know I made some adjustments to my entry post this competition, for better wording. It's up to you which one you'd like to use! Thanks for the prezzies!
This discussion has been closed.