Creating a set via contest

Comments

• Currently we have 8 people competing I would love to have more people compete...8 will suffice but we might cut the factions down to 4 and I think we will most likely do round robin contest after the creation
  • Alright pretty good time so far sorry I have been busy approaching the end of the year...

Challenge 1: (I am too lazy to bold stuff...and not enough time to make cards so...enjoy)

So already some of you have made leaders for your guild...so we will do that challenge later...

Without further ado.

All factions need a home base somewhere to concoct there plan of action...examples include Sunhome for Boros.

Requirements:
    This needs to be a legendary land
    Must provide at least 1 option for colored mana...
    Should have a decent ability that is not adding mana to the pool.....
    Anything I missed I will remedy soon...

Challenge ends next Sunday 11:59 pm EST

Happy smithing :)
    My entry for the challenge.
  • edited December 2018
    I give you, Zel'dovan: the headquarters and haven for Saundra Syn and the dream warriors that protect Terriaum.

(This is for my mechanic of Synchronize)
  • ok! mine will come soon
  • The conquerors never have anything resembling a home beyond that of a temporary camp. They live forever on the battlefield.
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/endless-prairies-of-war
  • @DoctorFro if I submit 1-2 cards that deal with a new keyword ability, backstory on my guild, and a legendary land for this contest all by next Sunday at 11:59 PM EST, will you let me be part of this?
  • yes this challenge isthe deadline
  • edited December 2018
    Yeehaw!

image image

My guild is the Kumpani Amalgam (name I'm not happy with, subject to change), led by twin angels Crucia and Gaiet. When a pestilence swept the underground caverns of the Kumpani, they ventured beyond their hive to find a cure. That cure came in the form of Crucia, who had the power to destroy blighted beings and bring them back to life, purified. However, this power came at a cost- for every Kumpani Crucia saved, a bit of their blight was absorbed into her. Realizing this, she tried to end her role as healer and sever ties, but the Kumpani would not allow it, and locked her in a cage in the deepest reaches of their cave network. After a time, Gaiet began to search for her lost twin, and upon discovering that she had been imprisoned, released her wrath upon the Kumpani, decimating their hive and breaking open Crucia's cage. The damage was done, however- Crucia had been forced to heal so many of the infected that she had become a twisted shadow of her former self, unable to even leave her cell unaided. Now the two rule the remaining Kumpani- Crucia as a goddess, Gaiet as a tyrant- in search of a permanent cure for Crucia's affliction.

The guild is B/W, with Crucia's cards being Black and Gaiet's cards being White. They'll synergize with themselves and each other. An example card of each half of the faction is included above. Here's the base of operations:

Crucia isn't exactly the most mobile, so everyone else has to come to her. Morbid as it is, even with the bars long since broken, her cage is her home.
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/necropythonicus

This is just a lore card. It's how the necromancers of the Thánatos get their power and the strongest ones are gifted the right to bask in the light of death.

This is the real hideout of the Thànatos. As the leader's manor, it attracted most of his followers. He lives there and is one of the only people to have mastered the ability to traverse the constantly shifting halls and rooms and change them so he is only found by those who he wants to find him. Many of his enemies have been defeated here by the puzzle of his house but many of his followers have died trying to find their way out.
  • mine comes soon!
  • edited December 2018
    Okay, got mine. It's not the best, but think it captures the essence of the Woodland Cult. They don't have a single home base, but many small ones where small groups of worshipers can gather.

If you haven't figured out by now, the woodland cult has been strongly inspired by ancient religions of Europe with druids and all of that.

Fixed.
  • @01101 Don't forget to make it Legendary, friend-o.
  • ****! I forgot about that. And I can't edit. ****!
  • edited December 2018
    @01101 - When @Tomigon and @MrRansom and I were kids, we used to remake cards while we walked to school... uphill... in the snow... both ways...

XD
  • I'll delete it and make it again tomorrow. @TheSuturedHeartMan, thanks for letting me know about that.
  • Ahaha! @Corwinnn, yes! I used to remake cards a dozen times until I got a design with which I was satisfied.
  • edited December 2018
    And the site didn't show card texts to copy&paste, so we had to retype from the first word!
  • Edited in a Gaiet card to my previous post. Now we're really rolling.
  • Alright I will post the new challenge tonight...there will be no elimination on his challenge or the next...and this challenge closes at 12 pm est
  • Alright this challenge is simple if u have not already posted a leader (it was not required) post 1

AAAANNNDDDD

You must write at least a paragraph of backstory/lore for your leader and how they got into the position...

Next week’s challenge will be the first elim challenge
  • edited December 2018
    Regardless, here's one:

Crucia was graced with the ability to heal sickness and decay with a mere touch, though unbeknownst to her it came at a great cost. Any ailments lifted in this manner did not simply vanish, but rather fragmented and absorbed into her being. When the Kumpani found her, she was a godsend- an answer to their prayers- and she generously saw to the diseased and dying. She was hailed as a goddess by the Amalgam, a savior to end all saviors, and she was pleased with life.

The changes came slowly. Minor symptoms, the occasional headache. As she took into herself further blight however, her form began to warp and twist. She attempted to flee the Kumpani, but they would not allow it. Their goddess would not leave them. They tore off her wings and threw her into the dungeons, never again to see the light of the sun, never again to live, only to serve as a healer and an object of reverence. When Gaiet finally rescued her, she was too far gone for salvation. Now, she rots away in her cell, commanding the Kumpani with her sister acting as supreme enforcer of her will.
  • Sure, but 1 of them won't count @TheSuturedHeartMan so write the story about the 1 that you want to count as your submission
  • The closest thing the Crusaders have to a "leader". Pretty much the most charismatic general among them:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vlandell-noble-crusader

Vlandell is a middle aged man who, in his younger days, essentially started the Crusaders. He saw corruption and tyranny and all sorts of problems with civilization so he adopted the ways of the nomads and struck out with a band of do-gooders to remove corrupted leaders. Soon his movement gained a following and it became a widespread idea that spawned many crusading groups. All view him essentially as the patron saint of the movement and as the spiritual leader of the Crusaders, and many would obey his command, though the Crusaders are such a scattered group not many know of him other than his name and that he was the progenitor.
    Also-
    He got the Sabre-Tooth Bear he now rides when he beheaded the Jarl of the Lands of Ice in the far north, as it was his pet, so Vlandell trained it for combat and now it is his faithful mount.
  • edited December 2018
    Leader card here.

Saundra Syn: leader and creator of the plain of Terrarium. Channeling the overwhelming power of the blind eternities and her skills as a crystal artificer over the agonizing course of thousands of years, Saundra was able to fabricate a lustrous world of endless possibilities. Her magic and skills created the crystalline flesh of every living thing on Terrarium, but it is her spark and dreams that give them true sentience.

For years Terrarium and its creations lived in harmony, but its size no longer allows it to remain isolated. Foes across the planes seek to exploit Terrariums material resources or worse, the unique magics that exist there. Yet Terrarium’s greatest threat is a rare phenomenon and a growing force of corrupted creations. Dreams are twisted into nightmares and seek to create chaos and disharmony. To what end; no one knows.

Saundra however is prepared to face foes domestic and foreign with her total mastery of Terrarium. Her powers allow her to both shape the land to her will and forge new creatures to aid her. Taken to its zenith point, Saundra can even synthesis her creations together to create unique beasts and warriors the likes of which have never before been seen in the multiverse. These synchronized beings wield startling power and abilities. From Zel'dovan, Saundra can guide the growth and defense of her world and her will is carried directly by her heralds; dreams of herself that hold shards of her power.

(This is Saundra Syn herself, for the purpose of this contest her Herald will be acting on her behalf. But I wanted to show her and add some context.)

• Current leader or a major one, because right now the empire is in a succession crisis with three different candidates.
This discussion has been closed.