Possible Cube Idea

Comments

• @Bowler218

I can't seem to think of a way to make the mill archetype fit into UW. Can we change the UW archetype?
  • Sure, I'm thinking W/U should be blink
  • @Bowler218

Okay that's much easier to work with!
  • edited January 2019
    Okay! Here's a proof-of-concept set of multicolor cards!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Looks good!
  • Planeswalkers!

imageimageimageimageimage
  • edited February 2019
    @Arceus8523
    I'm going to forum post the lands so you can use your set symbol on them:
    Allied Colored:

Mana Tree
    Legendary Land
    T: add G or W to your mana pool

Burnt Rubblebelt
    Legendary Land
    T: add G or R to your mana pool

Fire Castle
    Legendary Land
    T: add R or B to your mana pool

Zombie Chamber
    Legendary Land
    T: add U or B to your mana pool

Divine Temple
    Legendary Land
    T: add W or U to your mana pool
  • edited February 2019
    Enemy colored will be the same but target opponent loses one life.

Guard Post
    Legendary Land
    T: add R or W to your mana pool

Abandoned Chapel
    Legendary Land
    T: add W or B to your mana pool

Forest Lake
    Legendary Land
    T: add G or U to your mana pool

Dark Forest
    Legendary Land
    T: add G or B to your mana pool

Fiery Ocean
    Legendary Land
    T: add R or U to your mana pool
  • edited February 2019
    @Arceus8523 and @Bowler218
    Why do you need archetypes...I feel it will make it harder to draft ur all trying to draft certain archetypes...sorry Im late
    Because it also feels like ur making a set not a cube
  • @DoctorFro
    I believe it's to give each two color combo their own playstyle. Like in ravnica, all the guilds play differently so that when you draft, you feel like your drafting that guild, when you draft this, it's so that you feel like your drafting that combo.
  • @Bowler218

Your land cycle is too strong. Lands shouldn't add more than one mana at a time without a downside. Look at Ancient Tomb. That adds two colorless mana, has a downside to it, and is still considered one of the most powerful lands in MTG.
  • @DoctorFro

Cubes have archetypes the same reason sets have archetypes: it promotes coherency and choice among the cards and keeps the cube from devolving into "the guy with the best cards wins" it also drastically decreases the chance players will all be fighting over the same cards. Draft as a format, in cube or in a set, is a test of skill, reading the signs to get a feel for what decks are open and which ones aren't.
  • Changed the lands to not add mana at all as the life change is already powerful on a land
  • @Bowler218
    I'd rather have them add mana than manipulate life. Moving those onto hynrid mana enchantments isn't too bad an idea, though...
  • Ok, makes sense.
  • I think the lands should be mana fixing of some sorts, but I'm not sure what to do with them...
  • Gave them the tap to add M1 or M2 to your mana pool
  • edited February 2019
    @Bowler218
    That's just a slightly modified OG dual land, the strongest land cycle in the game.
  • Oh, well what if we made the colors cost 1 less to cast?
  • edited February 2019
    @Bowler218
    That's arguably stronger. I've dabbled with that style of land, but remember a land as narrow as Eye of Ugin with this sort of effect got banned.
  • Yeah, and my other idea is probably to powerful
  • @Bowler218
    I can create one or more factions, especially I'm thinking about a black, white, blue milling faction.
  • @Bowler218 I'll probably be able to do some work on this.
  • sorry I wasn't availablenthis weekend, myntablet died and I was out and about, but definitely keep working on this. I should be able tonreally work on this during the week.
  • @Arceus8523, @Bowler218

IMO this current design skeleton seems fairly bland. Most cubes tend to have much wilder, less well defined archetypes, featuring very powerful cards. IMO treating it like a normal MTG core set will result in the design and drafting procedures becoming a lot less fun. I would also suggest doing away this focus on two colour pairs; because this is entirely custom, you can make it much easier to play three to five colours, rather than the standard two (I.E. - there could be shock and fetch lands in this set, repirnted from actual MTG).

This is entirely a suggestion, but I would likely go with the archetypes looking a bit more like:

Mono G - Elves, with a ramp theme/subtheme. Other colours can also reguarly be splashed to provide the deck with other big things to ramp into. To be as explosive as possible, I would recommend lots of ways to get fast mana through lots of elves, like Elvish Archdruid effects.
    Mono R - Burn, backed up with all the shocks/bolts ect. as well as lots of cheap red creatures. Could also have a potential goblin subtheme.
    Rakdos, but with regular other splashes - reanimator, with lots of very powerful and cheap reanimation effects.
    Grixis/Rakdos/Dimir/Blue/Red Storm - rituals and grape shots galore, along with cheap lotus like effects.
    Three/Four/Five Colour Superfriends - who doesn't love walkers? A wide range of colours could also be assigned to this archetype, as walkers come in all parts of the colour pie.
    Five Colour Goodstuff - with lots of good mana fixers, and some five colour cards, five colours would be a fun way to go.
    Control, generally in Azorius/Grixis/Esper/Dimir/Four Colours/Even Five - the classic.
    Izzet/Simic/Temur/Jund ect. Madness - in Ultimate Masters, the madness deck was craazzzy fun to play.
    Dredge/Graveyard - large overlap with madness, but dumping everything in the bin and profiting off it is an age old strategy.
    Aristocrats - again more overlap with dredge and madness, but the aristocats has always remained one of the coolest decks.

Although this would make the draft considerably more tactical around beginners, that's not necessarily a bad thing and would make the whole drafting environment much more enjoyable.

I would also advise one of the organisers getting premium, and asking other people if they can add premade cards to the set - make it like a whole community thing.
    Anyway, feel free to ignore all this - it's just my awful ideas anyway.
  • @Bowler128

The set will also progress very slowly if Arceus makes all the cards, and you just give him the text to the card.
  • @KJMartin @Bowler218

I wasn't planning on making many more cards than what I've already contributed. I was just helping Bowler get started. I think there's some merit to designing a more wild cube. My approach was simply "design a set without rarity," after all. My main concerns is that an archetype in the cube unintentionally becomes unbalanced with so many different types of cards flying around in it, or that an archetype doesn't have the pieces it needs to get going.
This discussion has been closed.