Rezatta, the life-matters Renaissance plane — SET DESIGN PHASE

Comments

• :::steps up to the mic:::
    "Moo-vair-uh"
  • KorandAngels Oh yeah actually, tyrants could work. I was thinking showing a bit of the neighbouring country at first, in the context of a war like we see Nilfgard in the Witcher for those who know, but the problem is that this spreads the focus of the set (an overall gleeful world) a bit thin to my taste. But yeah, an inside tyrant obsessed with war that ties into the Renaissance theme through warfare could help bring some cool historical figures like Machiavel into the mix. I already half-started an illustration folder on war, I need to research into it a bit more.
  • edited March 2020
    Corwinnn I'm pretty sure that's it ^^ Except italians have very clear "a" sounds so the last sound might be closer to an actual "ah." (Disclaimer: not 100% sure how you all are going to pronounce this one xD No diphtongue, just one vowel sound, not two mixing into one another.)

In any case, we showed with Ixalan that the right pronunciation is not from the country it's inspired from, though it's better if the two don't conflict too much.
  • @Corwinnn
    Who let that cow in here!? Oh, it's just a squirrel, my bad.
  • Anyone trying to playtest these tonight? Not sure what platform you use?
  • brcien Paper proxies for now, though we could arrange a version on Cockatrice or Untap.in ^^ It's super long though, I did it once and it felt that by the time I finished uploading the whole set, half the cards had to be changed already >.<
  • Alright, I had a try at virtually every card in the set so far at least a couple times. I'm going to describe changes in three sections:

1) Cards for which I made some small adjustments (outside nonfunctional changes).

2) Cards that need to go, therefore needing a replacement. For each card, I'll explain why they had to go. 

3) What the set is needing now. Based on the cards I removed and stuff I let out in the first version, we'll be left with a fixed number of open slots and a number of effects we need to fit in the set. If you want to try your hand at filling the holes, help yourselves!

I - CARDS WITH SMALL ADJUSTMENTS 

(Previous version shown on left, new version on right.)

1) Temple Guardian and Sparkleproof Doctor

On one hand, Temple Guardian was mostly useful to the GWB control archetype who had other options to play, while being useless to the two archetypes that needed one-drops the most: WUR Storm and BRW Aggro. On the other hand, Sparkleproof Doctor wasn't that great of a reward for the WUR archetype. Because it's so difficult to trigger repeatedly, I needed something that lasted (Storm Drake and Fiendish Sparkmage both get a +1/+1 counter). 

Since one-mana white commons can't go over 1/2, I switched their slots. The vanilla creature is now an agressive 2-mana 3/1 (yet another one), while the mage now produces a lasting token for just one mana.

2) Angelic Harbringer

The 2/2 vigilant Knight was a bit much compared to similar existing card (usually, you'd get a 1/1 token for this price). Since the Sparkmage now creates a token, I switched it to putting a +1/+1 counter on another creature instead.

3) Aria Embodiment, Reborn Siren, and Migrating Snowtusk

Aria embodiment was a lot of fun but too wordy, we'll meet again at uncommon ;) We need a new mana sink.
    Reborn Siren was a bit strong but, as part of a cycle, it couldn't move to uncommon. We need a new evasive creature.
    Migrating Snowtusk was hard to grasp and play correctly. To make it simpler, hexproof had to go somewhere else. It gained +1 power because no more hexproof. 
    Once I shuffled everything, hexproof went from the Snowtusk to the Siren, while the 2-mana creature stayed a mana sink but inherited the evasiveness of the Siren.

4) Dive Deeper

The mix of upsides and downsides made it a weirdly difficult to play Dive Down. To make it simpler, I made it an all-upsides choice spell similar to the original Dive Down.

5) Animated Tragedy

It was meant to synergise with the recursion synergies of the UBG Art tribal archetype, but it did its job a little too well for a common as it could machine gun a board of 1-toughness creatures by itself. It's been toned down and now only triggers when entering the battlefield.

6) Serran Inquisitor

Because serran life is so useful, I found myself never using the activated ability on the original version. Maybe by increasing its rate it will be more appealing.

7) Crafty Adventurer

The WUR archetype needed a way to discover without tapping all your mana in the process, so this guy now can be sacrificed to discover when he's not useful anymore. The change of name is to get the word "discover" in line with the sacrifice cost.

8) Reborn Giant

This guy would get very big very easily. Because the set is full of ramp thanks to serran life and full of evasion thanks to Masterwork, it's a legit threat. The main problem is that it's very hard to trade with it and there are a limited number of cards at common that can deal with a 9/9. So, bringing the Renaissance version down to an 8/8 might make it easier to trade a two-for-one or three-for-one at least.

9) New Creation

Renaissance is very difficult to achieve and this guy just wasn't worth the trouble. By drawing a card instead of getting a +1/+1 counter, it should yield more value.

10) Blossoming Wilds

Turns out Cultivate on a land is still pretty strong, and just getting two lands out of a 40-cards deck in Limited is worth it. Therefore, the cost of the activated ability is increased.
  • edited March 2020

II - REMOVED CARDS

Mounted Knight: White already has a french vanilla card. It doesn't have enough synergies with the set to justify taking a slot.

Inquisitive Disciple: The ETB ability makes it a bit confusing to use correctly. We could leave it with just the mana sink, but then it's too close to the green mana sink which discovers for 4 man.

Gift of Valor: Three white one-mana instants is too many. This one is the less interesting of the three. 

Winter Lurker: The card doesn't provide enough synergy to justify taking a slot. 

New Decadence: The card is too wordy and complex for what it does. It could potentially become the unconditional removal if we find something in-colour to replace the white one.

Heresy: The card doesn't really answer a specific problem of the set and the two-for-one is a bit much for common. Also, the set already has an unconditional removal in Death Row. Now that the set also has Turn to Statue, this instant is really not needed anymore.

Cheeky Performer: The BRW Suicide Aggro archetype needs a boost and this pay-off is not efficient enough.

Violent Pulsion: This card needs to be toned down and ideally be more synergistic.

Sparks: The card could use a little boost as red removal is lacking right now. It would also be profitable if it could enable Renaissance by itself at the cost of targeting yourself in the process.

Racket: The card is too complicated for what it does. Artefacts are not important enough to justify this amount of wordiness and complexity at common.

Honedclaw Smuggler: The slot could be used for something more synergistic. The attack trigger especially isn't supporting any given archetype in green.

Marble Maiden: The card plays nice but Green has too many growing creatures and is a bit too strong. Since this is way wordier than Endangered Winterhowl, it's the one to go.

Self-Confidence:
    This one is fun but hints at a +1/+1 counters-matter theme, it's better if it moves to uncommon.

Scour the Wilds: The card is confusing readers, it might be read as if casting a discovered spell is needed to perform the fighting.

Coming of Spring: The card is too wordy, too strong, and doesn't synergise enough with the Even-Life-matters archetype that's focused on growth.

Become Divine: The card is too efficient. It needs to be simplified.

Silver Statue: The card is super fun to play but hints at a Masterwork-matters theme. The concept should move to uncommon.

• edited March 2020

III - EMPTY SLOTS TO FILL

With all the removed cards and the missing effects in the first version, here is the list of effects I'd like to fit in each colour.

1) WHITE (needs 1 creature + 2 instant/sorcery)

• Needs at least an additional Art creature, preferably with an ETB ability.
    • Needs a creature with firs strike.
    • Needs a mana sink.
    • Needs an enchantment boosting creatures.
    • Could use a way to grant lifelink for a turn.

2) BLUE (no empty slot)

• Could use a repeatable spell

3) BLACK (needs 1 creature + 2 instant/sorcery)

• Needs a sacrifice enabler.
    • Needs an agressive creature caring about losing life.
    • Needs a mana sink.
    • Needs a discard spell.
    • Needs an enchantment removal

4) RED (needs 2 creatures + 1 enchantment + 2 instant/sorcery)

• Needs at least an additional Art creature, preferably with an ETB ability.
    • Needs an agressive creature caring about losing life.
    • Needs a card that deals direct damage to players.
    • Needs a card that deals damage to any target.
    • Needs an enchantment boosting creatures.
    • Needs a mana sink.
    • Needs a card that steals a creature for the turn.
    • Needs artifact removal.
    • Could use a boost in agression speed.
    • Could use better removal.
    • Could use a repeatable way to pay life.

5) GREEN (needs 2 creatures + 4 instant/sorcery)

• Needs a small evasive creature.
    • Needs two pump spells.
    • Needs a fight spell.
    • Needs a noncreature spell that discovers.
    • Needs a spell caring about even life and synergizing with growth.
    • Needs a card draw effect (tutor from top of the library).
    • Needs removal for flying creatures.
    • Needs a pay-off creature for the Art tribal archetype.

6) COLORLESS (needs 1 creature)

• Needs a medium-sized creature. Preferably an Art.
  • Oh, to replace Sparks, I was re-reading the ideal restrictions for this card:
    • Needs to be any target
    • Needs to be an instant
    • Would preferably be one-mana since a cheap blast plays great with both the WUR Storm archetype and the BRW Aggro archetype.
    • Would preferably be able to trigger Renaissance by itself at the cost of taking damage yourself (also helps enable cards that care about life loss).

It's a real jigsaw puzzle but I just found something that could work, do you think it's too complicated? I like that it seems to hit a sweet spot between Shock and Twin Bolt:

• edited March 2020
    Animated Tragedy - Should just say "When" not "Whenever" now that it only triggers on ETB.

Sparks - I'm not a huge fan of this latest version. I think my biggest aversion to it is that you'd never choose only the second mode. Maybe just:
    "Choose one -
    • Sparks deals 1 damage to any target.
    • Sparks deals 2 damage to target opponent and 1 damage to you."
    I'll attempt a couple of designs for the empty slots. Are there preferable CMCs for any or all of the slots?
  • On Dive Deeper, typically these effects only grant hexproof to target creature 'you control.' It saves on Vines of Vastwood-esque weirdness. I imagine the self-damaging part of Sparks is to potentially trigger Renaissance? You'd still have to find one more damage somewhere to get to the three threshold so I wonder how frequently it'd get used for that.
    In general, I appreciate a lot of your thoughtful changes. It's tough to leave things on the cutting room floor but the end result will be worth it!
  • @Faiths_Guide

Animated Tragedy: Good catch! 

Sparks: Yes, the idea is that you would never choose the second mode alone, it's kind of a dangerous upgrade you sometimes pick. I picture it as pushing the spell too far, it's escalating.

CMC: Oh yes, absolutely. Ideally, we would fill in the empty slots with the same CMC. Also, please try not to use any named mechanic or archetype rider (e.g. if you lost life this turn, etc.) unless it's specifically in the list of missing things. Also, I'm realising there's a mistake, White's empty slots in the title are all wrong. Here is the list of available slots: 

WHITE: 
    • 2 creature with CMC = 3 (preferably an agressive one and one synergistic with a Storm deck)
    • 1 enchantment (CMC different from 1)

BLACK:
    • 1 creature with CMC = 1 (not too agressive, preferably)
    • 2 instants/sorceries (no CMC restriction)

RED:
    • 1 creature with CMC = 2 (preferably agressive)
    • 1 enchantment (no CMC restriction)
    • 2 instants or sorceries (no CMC restriction)
    P.S: The additional missing creature I put in the title above is kind of a mistake but not really. I wasn't super happy with the red member of the reborn cycle (Reborn Jester) so if you find something more interesting, I'd be happy to try it instead.

GREEN:
    • 1 creature with CMC = 2 (must not get +1/+1 counters)
    • 1 creature with CMC = 3 (must not get +1/+1 counters)
    • 4 instants/sorceries (no CMC restriction but pump spells must have different CMC)

COLORLESS:
    • 1 artifact-creature with CMC 4 or more

DomriKade

Dive Deeper: Oops, indeed that wasn't meant to do that x)

Sparks: It does trigger Renaissance by itself! You choose both mode targeting your opponent in the face each time. Sparks deals 2 damage to your opponent and 1 damage to you, 3 life have been lost, Renaissance is enabled for the turn ;)
  • edited March 2020
    First draft of a white creature:

I don't understand this new forum textbox...
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/stonework-vanguard
  • Some attempts at creating the other white cards (with way too generic names)....

Manasink Bear
    2W
    Creature - doesn't matter
    4W: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until eot.
    2/2

(See Cliffside Lookout. Creature can probably have p/t of 2/3 as well. Also because I don't see a team pump effect.)

Lifelink Aura
    2W
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    When ~ etbs, enchanted creature gains lifelink until eot.
    Enchanted creature gets +1/2 and has vigilance.

(See Sentinel's Mark cast during main phase. Bumped up the CMC because of rarity differences.)
  • edited March 2020
    @Faiths_Guide

I like the direction of Stonework Vanguard, it's simple but actually quite nice. Maybe it should have the more modern "first strike as long as attacking" since defensive first strike can get a bit out of control with Masterwork in the set.

Yeah, the new forum text box is a bit hard to use ^^" You're forced to lay out your stuff in normal mode, then go to html mode and try to find what you're looking for in that blob of text to modify it xD It took me three days to make that post with all the images above.

LyndonF

Manasink Bear: I like the idea of using a team pump effect for the mana sink, I think WR will be about weenies (since it synergises with both the BRW aggro and, in a weird way, with WUR Storm since you can chain weenies instead of spells) so it seems like a good fit. We do have a white team pump effect called "For Serra!" in the set but it could be replaced easily.

Lifelink Aura: That's a good idea! I was afraid that putting lifelink on the enchantment would break the set, but making it an ETB is the perfect way to solve the issue ^^
  • Ooooops I just realised that I lost the enchantment/artifact removal card in White during the last iteration! We need that too!
  • Is there a Serran Lifelink ability?
  • Hello! Trying to get caught up on the details on this awesome looking project. Is there room for one more to help in any way?
  • edited March 2020
    @KorandAngels
    There's no keyworded "Serran Lifelink" keyword, but we can make a card that says "Whenever this creature deals damage, you gain that much serran life" for instance. I just thought this was a bit too much for common, but I definitely want to try it at uncommon!

Epok
    Sure! Everyone is free to jump in with their ideas at any moment ^^ What interests you in MTG design? You could try to fill out the empty common slots I mentioned above, if you're into the nitty-gritty of set design, or you can come up with story ideas if you'd prefer (we're still missing a driving conflict on this plane, a reason for people to fight magic battles). Otherwise, any idea you can come up with can help ^^ Just know that we're trying to make it realistic so there's a lot of moving pieces that influence each other. This means a lot of designs that are fine in a vacuum might not work just because they collide with something else in the set, so don't worry if it's a bit hard to get a card in the final file, it's more about the concepts themselves ^^
  • edited March 2020
    @ningyounk  
    I'd say that the Vanguard compares well to these other first striking 2/2 commons -https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[first]+[strike]&cmc=+=[3]&rarity=+[C]&type=+[%22Creature%22]&power=+=[2]&tough=+=[2]

I don't think you'd need restrictions on his first strike (which would also make him more complex/wordy), but, if the worry is masterwork specific, that's your call.

Here's a white creature with a mana sink ability:

http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/stately-patrician

I think I've mentioned Omar Rayyan's artwork before, but I'm sure we could find a use for some of his fantastic work.
  • edited March 2020
    Faiths_Guide

For first strike, yes it's more of a modern change, they've been trying to get away from defensive first strike at common since Guilds of Ravnica block, though it's true we've seen a few exceptions more recently. I do think it plays better when it's limited to attacking creatures, a bit like how Quick Attack works in Legends of Runeterra.

I was thinking of using this design with Scry 2 instead of Scry 1 (this way you can set up a successful discovery on your next turn) so limiting first strike to attacking would be a good way to balance the card after this change.

Stately Patrician: A white common can give lifelink to itself, but I think granting it to any creature is only uncommon-and-rarer material. In this set specifically it might be too synergistic. The illustration is gorgeous though! This goes straight in my Rezatta illustration file xD

• So just to recapitulate what's happening in White so far:

Stonework Vanguard replaces Mounted Knight as the first striker and Inquisitive Disciple as the Storm-friendly creature (it helps set up discover)

Muveran Philantropist replaces Inquisitive Disciple as the white mana sink and For Serra! as the team pump spell

Gift of Dawn replaces Gift of Valor as the pump enchantment and becomes the lifelink-granting combat trick

Which means we now have one last slot available in White: an instant or sorcery that removes enchantments (and potentially artifacts). Ideally, it would also be a soft removal (by tapping a creature for instance). Something like Topple the Statue for enchantments would be ideal. Of note, we don't have a mode spell yet in White, so it's an available option.

• More attempts (and more generic/bad card names)...

RED

Life Loss Payoff
    1R
    Creature - Art (or not)
    As long as you have lost life this turn, ~ gets +1/+0 and has first strike.
    2/1
    (Vaguely inspired by Bloodhaze Wolverine / Burning Prophet. But this is pretty easily triggered by paying serran life, so it may be a 3/1 first striker for a lot of the time?)

Re-reborn Jester
    3R
    Creature - (same)
    Menace
    If (Renaissance), ~ etbs w/ a +1/+1 counter on it.
    3/2

(See numerous 4 mana 3/3 creatures with menace and some other upside, e.g. Sweatworks Brawler / Goblin Freerunner. It's not a perfect match but will do.
    Also, I changed the keyword from haste to menace since it probably takes some mana to trigger Renaissance and the aggro decks probably want a low curve.)

Violent Pulsion V.2
    R
    Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has menace and "{r}: This creature gets +1/+1 until eot and deals 1 damage to you."

(An quick modification as suggested by name. Helps trigger life loss easily but is it too convenient / powerful?)

Bolt the Thingy
    1R
    Instant
    ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker. If an artifact was dealt damage this way, destroy it.

(See Jaya's Greeting / Scorching Dragonfire for 1R instants that deal 3 damage to creature with upside. Also acts as decent removal on its own.)

Threaten & Shock
    1RR
    (text for stealing creature for a turn). ~ deals 1 damage to that creature's owner.

(Act of Treason is 2R, so adding a minor effect probably makes it cost a bit more restrictive. I thought of dealing 2 damage but this might make it actually playable.)
  • @ningyounk
    Does Gift of Dawn need to have flash to be a combat trick? Does it become too complex?
  • Maybe something like this? Don't know about name/art.
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/view/serene-induction
  • @ningyounk ;

Thanks for the invite :D. I do like the game design aspects and it probably helps that I went to art school and took art history (from what I remember)
    I came up with a few ideas for red/black trying to hit the flavor that you have going on I hope I am in the ballpark. 

• edited March 2020
    @LyndonF

Life Loss Payoff: That could do the trick ^^ I'm unsure if it's strong enough, but a lot of enablers of this archetype let you pay one life when they attack for a bonus effect so it seems synergistic enough. I'll need to play with it to get a feel of it.

Re-Reborn Jerster: I like Menace in this spot, that's a cool idea! Unlike haste, I think it would feel more of a reward than an alternate mode which is what I'm looking for.

Violent Pulsion V2: Humpf! That's spicy! I like the idea that it also enables Renaissance and cards that care about you losing life. Though I'm trying to respect a rule with the BRW Suicide aggro archetype saying that, if you pay life, it results in the opponent losing more life than you paid if anything goes smoothly. Overall, I think it's the mana cost that needs to change, and I think the life payment is a little much for common, though I could see something like that at uncommmon.

Bolt the Thingy: You can't really target artifacts with damage unfortunately, though it's a cute idea, I like the flavour of it ^^ Also, this creates conflict with the already existing creature blast slot, New Insults:

Threaten & Shock: That could work, but the synergy between the two effects isn't super evident and that one damage doesn't really fit the bill for a player blast spell (especially in this set, the player bast probably should trigger Renaissance), I think we can find something a bit more branded.

Faiths_Guide 

Gift of Dawn: The flash version is really wordy, it's a bit of a red flag at common. I did it on the first strike version because the card was really weak otherwise, but it doesn't have to be a combat trick per se, just a boosting effect. I think lifelink is strong enough in this set that it's playable at sorcery speed. Basically, I'd go with the less wordy version if it's not too weak.

Serene Indution: WAIT! I messed up. There's already an enchantment removal I forgot about! New Journey deals with enchantments!

Sorry, I completely forgot about it -___- I suppose is kind of free then, all it has to do is act as a soft removal (namely, it needs to be able to tap a creature.) Then, we can stick anything funny on it. Aggro is struggling so maybe a synergistic effect? We could use another pump spell maybe, but we don't have room for another 1-mana instant, and we already have a 2-mana pump spell (Mighty Leap). I need to think about it more.

@Epok

Gossip Session: Really funny flavour, love it XD The effect is too weak for its cost though, if the card is less than 3 mana (probably 75% risk), it doesn't really accomplish anything.

Tragic Loss: The idea is there but I want to avoid hating on Masterworks. You can already interact with them through normal means, and I don't want to punish players for trying the cool new mechanics in the set. Also, in this slot (the uncommon two-mana soft removal) I have a plan in mind. You see, I planted the card Museum Thief at common, it's a black common that can't be blocked by creatures with power and toughness not equal (= they're not beautiful). My plan is to have a vertical cycle of cards Black cards that care about this, and the uncommon is going to be the soft removal:

P.S: I have no idea what the Rare would be, if anyone has ideas to propose. I tried something similar for a contest a while ago, I think I made a rare mass removal and a Mythic mass reanimation, but I wasn't super happy with those. Maybe a lord would be interesting?

Curious Understudy: As tracking what mana is produced by which source is complicated, and since there are cards caring about life loss in BRW, I prefer to use "if you lost life this turn" instead of "if mana produced by serran life was used to cast this spell" since, if you used serran life to cast it, then you lost life. The rummaging would be useful to the WUR Storm archetype, but in this slot I'd really need something that packs up some damage to help out the BRW Suicide aggro archetype.
  • wow i tried to get involved in this project way back in 2018 i havent been on in years. I cant believe how much it has grown and changed!
  • @LittleDemon
    And we still haven't gotten through the commons XD But at least we're having fun, I keep learning new things about design with every iteration ^^ Also I think we're getting close to something decent now!
This discussion has been closed.