Cardsmith Tournament!

Comments

• I’m just bumping this again :)
  • If anyone has time, make sure to get your cards in so that hopefully this can go on!
  • Round 2, Results 3:

@HeroKP
    vs.
    @Shmoohawk

Task:
    Card Type: Enchantment
    Colors: Include only any of the colors of your opponents submission from round one.

Thoughts:

Emberwisp Oriflames - This is a very nice simple, and balanced creation. It's only affecting attacking creatures and just keeps the pressure on the opponent. It has a great flavor and i could see this being useful anywhere. The concept is simple, but the power it can give is immense. And it's even worded so that after combat they lose the buff, so it's purely an hard aggro that would be loved by many.

Temple of the Obscura - This is quite a nice way to involve living weapon, and make it worth the costs. Most of the time, Germ tokens don't do a whole lot, with some of the living weapon equipments, but this lets you take a step forward and bring out a heavy hitter. The only thing i'd suggest is a bit high mana cost on the Enchantment itself, maybe just an additional B? also, i don't think this would work the way you'd want. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but in your text you state "Whenever a Germ token enters the battlefield... effect" The Germ token is a 0/0, so in turn, if the equipment itself doesn't have an effect giving the creature at least 1 toughness, the creature would die before you get to pay any mana, due to state-based effects.

Results:
    This was quite a tough one to pick. I really enjoyed the power behind Emberwisp Oriflames, but also the utility behind Temple of the Obscura. But I shall only be selecting one.

Congrats @HeroKP with "Emberwisp Oriflames"! I really enjoyed the card, and it's ability to just keep pressure towards your offense and making the opponent really use strategy. @Shmoohawk, your creation was fabulous as well. I felt the CmC could be a tad higher, and that it didn't hold as much of a value, since it'd only work on equipments that grant at least 1 toughness to the creature.

@HeroKP - Please send me a PM of two cards you'd like favored.

@Shmoohawk - Keep in touch, you may make a second appearance!

• @Shmoohawk Good game! While your interpretation of what the obscura is is a different from what I had in mind, I actually kinda like it more. :)
  • Round 2, Results 4:

@MemoryHead
    vs.
    @shadow123

Task:
    Colors: Include only any of the colors of your opponents submission from round one.

Thoughts:

Song of the Accord - This is a nice card you got here. It helps boost the production of tokens just a hair and can help make them more of a threat than they already may be. Plus it goes exceptionally well with shadow123's original creation, helping it keep a nice steady flow of tokens and life. Well done!

Mogg Warsong - This is pretty good as well my friend. It's another great card that would go well with MemoryHead's original creation. It's helping create some tokens to benefit presence on the field, and just letting you be a power hours for a couple turns. Hopefully long enough to eliminate your foe. Great job!

Results:
    I've really been trying my best to not let myself choose a tie for creations that are so good like this. Both sides gave pretty good cards, and they are both providing a good amount of synergy and flavor. But i will be deciding on a single victor.

Congrats to @MemoryHead with "Song of the Accord"! I really enjoyed the overall feel of the card. I felt the only real thing holding your card above @shadow123 was the fact that "Mogg Warsong" only lasts three turns, then its sacrificed. Don't get me wrong, it's a great card and i love the idea behind it. But ultimately, you could have various situations with an enchantment like that being of no use because it wasn't played at the right time.

@MemoryHead - Please send me a PM with two cards you'd like favored.

@shadow123 - Keep in touch. You may be brought back later!

• @shadow123 Good round and nice card. I'm sorry to see you go.
  • @MemoryHead Oh well...nice job!
  • edited October 2019
    @Norzael I’ll be sure to keep in touch
  • How many more pair ups until the third round?
  • @HeroKP

Isn't it just two pairs and a bye?
  • Round 2, Results 5:

@Blazin_Biscuit
    vs.
    @Termite1

Task:

Thoughts:

Fertile Soils - Oh boy. What a card. This card has a very nice flavor to it and lets you just feel the power behind the plants. This is definitely something to be proud of. The mana cost is fine since you are having to take the extra 5 cards and put them in the graveyard. So in turn i feel you lose more at initial cast, but can make up for it with the ability to pump out the +1/+1 counters later on. great job.

Vermin Plague - Now, i'm not complaining, but why do you all have to make this so difficult to judge haha. Jk jk. This card is also quite the creation. Its got a wonderful amount of flavor and creates such a hostile environment for your opponents. Especially since it lets you create rats from discarding cards and a bit of mana. Making even the biggest of creatures tremble without protection. I feel the mana cost is perfect for this as well as the ability cost. You guys sure made it difficult with these entries.

Results:
    Wow. These two cards have my brain going 100mph and I'm trying to keep up. I'm trying to find anything between the two that would essentially score higher and it ain't easy.
    Okay. I'm calling it.

Congrats to @Blazin_Biscuit with "Fertile Soils"! I chose your card ultimately because i feel it has a tad bit more flavor behind it. More-so being influenced by the card @Termite1 originally posted. "Vermin Plague" has a lot of flavor as well, but i felt "Fertile Soils" reaches a little farther and take the lead. Everything else about EACH of these cards was superb. You both entered awesome cards that could be slapped right next to those Legendary Creatures.

@Blazin_Biscuit - Please send me a PM of two cards you would like favored.

@Termite1 - Keep in touch. You may be brought back in a future round!
  • @Blazin_Biscuit Great card! I’ll be certain to keep an eye on this contest!
  • We only need one submission from @ASubtleGhost before we can continue onto the next round.
  • @ASubtleGhost, if you could submit a card so this can continue, that would be great.
  • @Norzael perhaps a deadline should suffice?
  • Round 2, Results 6:

@ASubtleGhost
    vs.
    @TheWanderer

Task:

Thoughts:

Everything is Under Control - First off, this card does not qualify for the task at hand. You could only include the colors of the card submitted. You added two additional colors. So by default you will not be moving on.

Honorable Contest - This is quite interesting. A card limiting everyone's post combat turns. It's not super strong, but still has a bit of impact. Good job on this.

Results:
    Due to the disqualification of @ASubtleGhost's submission, congrats to @TheWanderer!

@TheWanderer Please send a PM of the two cards you'd like favored.

@ASubtleGhost Please keep in touch as you may be brought back at a later round.

Round 3 post will be soon!
  • @Norzael Oops, thought I had to include the colors of sorinjace's card.
  • edited November 2019
    WELCOME TO ROUND 3!

Here is the updated roster!

@Tommia
    vs.
    @MemoryHead Due to lengthy delay on submission

@Ranshi922
    vs.
    @HeroKP Due to lengthy delay on submission

@Blazin_Biscuit
    vs.
    @MonkeyPirate2002

@TheWanderer
    vs.
    @KorandAngels - Brought back!

Round 3:
    As you traverse the enemy lands you catch wind of a way to escape. But it requires you to obtain a powerful artifact that has been sealed away. Once you obtain this artifact you can return home.

Task:
    The task at hand is to create an artifact that is truly "powerful".

Guidelines:
    CMC MINIMUM: 6
    Type: Artifact (These can be standard Artifacts, Colored Artifacts, or Equipment)

Additional notes:
    These cards must try to assist a creature, or creatures, in some manner.

Happy Smithing!
  • @Norzael Who's colors are we working within? Our own, still the enemies, or anything goes?
  • @Tommia Anything goes!
  • Got it. Thanks!
  • I am done as well.
  • CmC Minimum?
    I guess you said powerful.
  • edited November 2019
    For those of you who already entered a submission, I apologize if there was a tad bit of confusion. Please read the whole post about Round 3. Including the Additional Notes near the bottom.

I received two entries so far that have me thinking the entrant didn't read just one line more. And I'd like to give those entrants a chance to enter a new submission before declaring it since they have made it this far doing well with following the requirements.

I will not point fingers, so if you are following the criteria below Additional Notes, feel free to ignore this post. But those who haven't followed that criteria you have until 11:59 Tomorrow Night (11/6/2019) to submit a new entry. Otherwise, I will grant your opponent the victory even before they submit a card.

For those of you who have yet to submit, you are not limited on time to enter, this is just for those who submitted an invalid entry prior to this post.
  • edited November 2019
    (I also entered my card to something else, so I got confused.)
    (Now my new entry is to small. It is powerful though.)
  • @Norzael, if it must assist creatures in some manner, then it really is more of a guideline, than an additional note. I think that you should drop it for this round. In the future, if there are criteria such as that, you really should include it in guidelines...
This discussion has been closed.