Planar Bang

Comments

• Alright, thanks. I'll make sure to contribute sometimes :)
  • Stage Two is Completed!

Quite a bit of entries were made for this stage, surprisingly way less lands than I had anticipated, and non that really went for the noncreature theme.

But they certainly delivered on other themes of this plane, specially on fading, shroud, and other such mechanics that make things "dream like", a lot of interesting ideas were made, and a few that will set precedents for future stages to come.

For this stage I've desided I'd set a number of winning entries and add the rest entries that will become cannon for the plane as honorable mentions (with all cannon entries from the same contestant sharing a spot as the winning entry).

And that number is 3!

The Winners Are!:
    (In no particular order.)

@Abu_Jafar:

All very nice ideas, a nightmare theme and/or faction is sure to be found in a set for a world made entirely of dreams, and UB (and probs red too) are the perfect colors for such a faction.
    The dream carriers and the floating isles are also very common dream related concepts that fit very well into the plane.

@SpellPiper2213:

The two creatures are what make this winning entires, they're very well made, sometimes simplicity is best and these are just the examples, really nice concepts that wrok well with the world simply and elegantly made.
    The three lands are the would be honorable mentions and are pretty nice in concept though they dont got much consistency with eachother.

@Hergusbergus:

Where do forgotten things go to? They dont just dissapear do they?
    Well the answer is both yes and no acording to this, and that fits perfectly for a world such as Draumdrasil!
    Although not super fleshed out the entire idea of this realm and how one normally travels to it are very interesting andfitting for the world.
    And the god may be mechanically a 4/6 for 6cmc with a weaker indestructible, but it is a very interesting idea, the most unique way to make a god harder to kill I've seen so far, and lore wise it's pretty neat.
  • Now For Honorable Mentions!:

@Stryk3r:

@CatFish21sm:

@SkyeSeraph:

@spookoops:

Stage Three will be posted soon!

(Also I'll be making the trophy and hall of fame mention for the first and second stage as soon as I can, aparently I didnt for the first stage and I was sure I did, my memory is garbage aparently, lmao)
  • Congrats to the winners!
  • edited April 2020
    u r one of em! haha
  • I know! I finally did something right!
  • lmao, I think you did pretty well!

ur cards are good, give urself some credit!
  • It seems I didn't get an HM this time.
  • edited April 2020
    maybe you'll get one or a win next stage!

speaking of wich it'll be announced tomorow/today
  • edited April 2020
    Stage Three - The Factions

Indeed, we have arrived to this point, with a base world to set them in, we must now create factions that will inhabit it!

What people or beings belong to this faction? does it have a solid structure? or is it simply made by circumstance?

How many factions are there? what colors do they allign with? why did they start? where are they settled in? if anywhere at all.

These and many other questions are what you'll have to ask yourself.

In addition you do not have to make everything from scratch, many of the concepts that already exist in the plane can be incorporated into your faction (such as the forgotten realm, or the colors that have been used to reprecent certain types of creatures and/or enviorments.).

You do not have to make only one faction, and neither do you have to make a complete cycle, but you can do either or non, each separate faction you make will be considered a separate entry; even if you make an entire cycle of factions there is a possibility only some of them will make it in while factions others made will fill those spots.

The number of factions nessesary will be 5 minimum of a complete cycle, however this number can be of any size that's a multiple of 5!

It doesnt even have to all factions of the same number of colors, we could have 5 two colored factions and 5 three colored factions.

This is the challenge of this contest: Make cards that represent faction/s that exist withing this world, any card types work.

Deadline is the 21st of May, winners may vary (likelly multiple).

The deadline will be moved if not enough entries are made or people need more time to make entries.

(Sorry for posting later than I promised, my nephew came by and I was the one that had to babysit him.
    On the topic of the Trophy I decided that I will make a Trophy for all winners when the contest is over and I will be posting in the hall of fame for each individual stage.)
  • I'm going to apologize in advance, but since this contest has unlimited entries I'm gonna get all my ideas out there. This is my favorite part so far and I have A-LOT of ideas lol.
  • lmao that's okay
  • @Xero0 Just to clarify, the winners and honourable mentions are canon, correct?
  • edited May 2020
    @Stryk3r depending on the stage yes, on the second stage all honorable mentions and winners were cannon

on this third stage the honorable mentions wont be cannon
  • This is the first wave of new cards I'm doing. There's plenty more to come but this is all for now lol, enjoy!
    PS.This is only seven factions for now, I should fix that when I post some other cards later!

Have you ever walked around your own dreams? It's a dream version of yourself. If you haven't then that's pretty strange. So what's to say the dreamer doesn't walk around their own dreams? And of-course a dream never harms it's dreamer, unless it's a nightmare ;P And speaking of which have you ever dreamed of a dark version of yourself? Like dark link, or other anti-hero clones in video games? It's pretty fun you should try it! OR whose to say that you aren't the anti hero of your own dreams? To your dreams maybe you are the nightmare.
    image image
    I actually meant to put devour, not rule in the nightmare queen. Who hates bugs? I love bugs actually. But most peoples worst nightmares include bugs. The nightmare queen is like a hive queen, controlling her minions with a hive-mind, while giving birth to many more. Her only goal? To consume everything ofcourse!
    But no worries, because in a dream getting rid of a nightmare is as easy as saying "BE gone!" Be careful though, the spell to banish a nightmare, only works on nightmares!
    imageimage
    Some strange creatures inhabit the world of dreams, some good and helpful, some strange and dreadful, others just neutral. You never know what you're going to get until you dream them up!
    imageimage
    You know, the worst nightmares are the ones that are influenced by the outside world. Whether sounds, or touch, or even giant interdenominational killing machines. Wait how'd the Eldrazi get in here? Those dreams are the ones that are hardest to be rid of. And even worst when they try to bargain with you.
    image image
    Speaking of bargaining, in a world of dreams, where the dreams come to life and have a will of their own, who's to say they wont try to bargain, or petition their dreamer? And who's to say you wont listen?
    image image
    It never fails, you always have those dreams where something happens and causes a chain reaction that keeps making them better and better. Or perhaps it's a nightmare with the opposite effect, a chain reaction is triggered that make them worst and worst.
    image image
    Just a repeat of some previous mechanics I've really taken a liking to. Creatures in the ever changing dream scape have to be ever adaptable to survive.
    image image
  • very noice

so, so far you made 5 three colored factions, 1 four colored faction, and 1 colorless/five colored faction right?

(it'd really help if you like, labeled them, even if they arent organisations give some term or phrase that encompases them to reference them, and also say what colors they have in their identity as a faction)
  • @Xero0 I was going to plan on what faction to make, but I got a bit confused actually... What do you mean with "faction"? Does it have to be a culture, like a kingdom, a monastery, a guild? Or does it just mean a set of colors that includes multiple cards?
  • edited May 2020
    @Xero0 Oh wait I was confused what you meant by faction lol, I thought you were referring to just the colors. If you mean the separations of residents then I have made 2 three colored factions, and a neutral faction.
    >White, blue, green = Dreams
    >Black, blue, red = Nightmares
    >No color, or any color = Neutral (These are just creatures that spawn randomly in the world. These can be dreams, Nightmares, both or neither but don't take sides like the others do. They are usually represented by being colorless. 
  • Although I love this contest, I would like to drop out.
  • edited May 2020
    @KorandAngels there isnt really dropping out as this isnt an overarching competition, you can participate in whatever stage you want, or not participate in whatever other stage you want
    if you dont wanna participate in this one or dont have time that's perfectly fine!
    if you feel like coming back later that's perfectly fine too!

@Scaccogaming @CatFish21sm A faction as I see it in mtg (and for the purposes of being as encompassing as possible) is any beings that can be grouped up by an idea, be it a society, religion, literal faction, place of living, or simply natural predispositions; and because of them being grouped together in the game's narrative they're grouped together in gameplay by their colors

A faction can be like the guilds of ravnika, or like the shards of alara, or the cities of Ikoria, or the different species of Ikoria, or the servants of the gods of theros, or the different groups that fight for the crown in Fiora

(Ikoria actally technically has 10 three colored factions 2 for each shard if you consider the human cities and the monsters that share their colors; if you wanted to be even more inclusive you could say it has 10 three colored factions and 1 five colored faction in the bonders + the monsters they bond with as there are many cards that work for that and you could feasably make a five color human+nonhuman deck)
  • edited May 2020
    @Xero0 I had an idea in mind, but I gotta ask: Can a faction be represented by 5 colors or by noncolor cards?
  • edited May 2020
    @Xero0 Alright then, I'll get to work. I plan of posting around 21-22 cards, since they all have a role in the whole theme. But if you think that's too much I'll try to patch it up and upload just the most important ones.
  • you can post any number of cards dont worry
  • edited May 2020
    @Xero0 Thing is, I'm not sure wether my entries would fit this "dream-nightmare" thing... I was going to create a group of avatars that represent in a way or another the human psyche or natural concepts. This is why I would need 5 colors, but I don't want to spoiler anything else. Just know it'll be a ton of work.
  • edited May 2020
    okay @Scaccogaming

not everything has to be centered arround the concept of dreams and nightmares, as long as it fits the nature of the plane it can work

for example we've already have a few cards that play on the idea of things unchanging (like the unicorn), and on animals that are sort of dream like (like the flying fish that eat people), and things that simply revolve arround the concept of the mind (like the forgotten realm)

and you could potencially make multiple factions those avatars belong to if you so desire

up to you
  • @Scaccogaming Dreams and nightmares are kinda my thing. But I also think we need more types of creatures in this world. If everything is just a dream or a nightmare then the world isn't very real. But this is suppose to be a real world created by the dreams of a great being. So other factions definitely make since! Don't feel bound by what's already done just do your own thing, the worst thing you can possibly do is nothing at all!
  • I have multiple factions I'm working on with a few other creatures (there are a few nightmares, but they're just one of the factions)
  • In the great outskirts of all dream realms lies Zunesha, an ever roaming land of elite mercenaries that seem to live on the edge of consciousness. The Zuneshans fade in and out of reality to fit their needs.

Lead by the mysterious Jaeger, who has the ability to planeshift all on his own. He scouts new territories where others my need the Zuneshans elite military prowess.

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/spookoops/sets/45217

Instead of posting all the cards for Zunesha, posting a link to the set just seemed easier. 
  • very noice!

I like it
This discussion has been closed.