Villainy *Circuit Challenge*

124»

Comments

• This is extended until later today. I won't begin judging until after I sleep and pick up my car from the mechanic. Entries will still be accepted until then!
  • Closed for judgement - No more entries please.
  • Lots of really great entries in here, thank you everyone!

Pouring over the entries, I realize it's more difficult to make an actual villain, than it would appear from the outside. Quite a few entries were strong characters, but not all were actual Villains. Some were, in my opinion, heroes to their people, misunderstood scientists, creatures just doin' their thing and powerhouses. From among them all I picked out the ten I felt were the MOST Villainous!

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Corwinnn/sets/52237

Red led the way with representation on 6 of the 10, followed by white with 4, Blue with 3 and green with 1.

Jessu, the Masked, Our Mono-Blue Villain

I like the idea here and love the artwork. The quote gives a good vibe to the villainy at foot here, but it lacks that vile perpetration that a good villain needs. It would find a lot of use in decks as the new Storm Crow!

Embla, Osri, Zard and The Brutalizer. Our Mono-Red Villains

Red has an innate ability to be seen as villainous, because Red loves Damage and Chaos. Zard fills the Chaos factor and the other three are clearly villains in their adventures, as evidenced by their abilities and flavor.

Pivoa, Great Enforcer. Our Mono-White Villain

White, with all it's life gaining ability and symbolism for good, seems like no villain could come from it's ranks, but here is an obvious Villain that you're going to want to rid yourself of quickly.

Maycel, Loky, Alice and Lord Aliaster. Our Multi-Colored Villains.

Combining hateful flavors from two colors has given us our final four vile contenders, all of whom are evil in their own frightening ways, but who among them can top the list? Let's find out shall we?

The Results!

Third Place - Lord Aliaster Hunt by @Level20GnollBard ;

Want to focus your hate on a big bad meanie of a Villain? Well it might be harder to do with this guy out there plotting against you. Not only does he make you stretch your resources, but he also makes it harder for you to get rid of him. I like him as a Villain, because I don't like him! I bet he's absolutely diabolical in that D&D Campaign!

Second Place - Pivoa, Great Enforcer by @Fantastikill7

Or as I like to call him, "Whatever it takes to get this scum off the streets!". Pivoa can wreak havok with this kind of power, so that makes him a target. Generating creatures is one way to terrorize, but targeted removal and his bit of back story reinforce what makes him a Villain.

First Place - Embla, Queen of Valakut by @zamshala ;

A true villain in my book. The flavor text builds her case and her abilities make for a lot of fun. She clearly wants to destroy you, and I find the thought of Embla getting her spark and terrorizing existence as inevitable. She is a Villain through and through and I would love to see more about her. 

Thank you to all who entered! Circuit Points will be awarded to the Top Three and all these HM's!

• Congrats to the winners. Great contest @Corwinnn. It is hard to make non-black villains.
  • Thank you @Corwinnn. I'm humbled. And congrats to the rest of the winners.
  • @Corwinnn Thanks for this amazingly challenging contest.
    Good job everyone. 

And to think I was thinking about replacing that with a different card  :#
    Boy am I glad that I didn't.
  • edited April 2020
    @Corwinnn Wow I never would have thought that Embla could have won first place. I liked her as a character but I thought her ability might have been a little bland. Thank you. I do like the idea of her gaining her spark. I may have to give her a planeswalker card in the near future.

Thank you for this contest as well. It was really fun and challenging. 
  • Congrats @Winners and other @TopTens! Thanks for the contest @Corwinnn!

• This was a strange one to judge, as balance and power were really secondary to the overall aesthetic of the Villain. The follow-up contest promises to be even MORE interesting!
  • Also... Huge Shout-Out to @East2West! Check out her amazing blog posts on the Cardsmith Home Page under Blogs!
  • Congrats to the winners!!!
  • congrats!
  • edited April 2020
    I know this is finished, but this:
    <br><br>
This discussion has been closed.