The Great Designer Search (by LordTachanka123)

Comments

• 20 points for wording
    20 points for balance
    20 points for absence
  • Thanks for the clarification @TheEnderDragon. Might I enquire what absence is?
  • Whether the card accurately follows the absence method of four-color cards. Where the card is designed around the absent color rather than just combining abilities of the four colors.

• edited June 2020
    Challenge 2:

As core set 2021 is bringing old faces from magic's past to card form, we want you to make cards for major characters in magic's story that Do Not have any existing cards.

Cards will be judged on
    • Wording
    • Balance
    • Flavor
    We want you to attempt to represent a character at a point in time in their story using mechanics and flavor.

Rules: (same as before)
    No old cards
    No Jokes cards
    Only 1 entry per competitor

This will begin June 15th  @12:01 PST and will end June 19th @11:59 PST

• During the events of the original Innistrad block, Rem Karolus was known as the Blade of the Inquisitors, and was at the height of the order. During the set 'Shadows Over Innistrad', Rem adopted the title "Slayer of Angels", which later changed to "Slayer of Eldrazi" in Eldritch Moon, as the main adversary of good changed. With Emrakul imprisoned and the angels all defeated, Rem wanders Innistrad as a travelling warrior, seeking out evil and smiting it wherever it lurks.
  • Side note:First to make a card referencing Araitha Shokta gets an additional point if the card is a good representation.
  • edited June 2020
    What is the cutoff point for this round? Is there a set number of people who will be eliminated or will it be everyone below a specified cutoff?
  • edited June 2020
    Shungus Nod from Dreg Reaver's flavor text.

Big Shungus
  • All hail the emperor of the great Sun Empire!

I made him kinda mirror Admiral Becket Brass but for the Sun Empire (this is mostly apparent in the mana cost, P/T and the tribal aspect). Apatzec Intli III is the current ruler of the Sun Empire of Ixalan. He is a very reformative leader who lead his empire to a great expansion. He is also quite militaristic in his ways. Those aspects of his character are shown on the card in the third ability - expanding your army (also corresponding with the Sun Empire tradition of havind Dinosaur mounts) - and also in the second - makind your army vigilant, able to attack with courage and then defend the land they conquered. The emperor himself also has vigilance to serve as a glaring example to his people.
  • edited June 2020
    [EXPUNGED]
  • edited June 2020
    Evandra the Fourth Angel

The fourth angel of Innistrad that Avacyn killed
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos, Shahrazad already exists though
  • Also the card has to be more "serious" 
  • @TheEnderDragon It is serious though? And the name is just coincidentally same as the character?
  • edited June 2020
  • edited June 2020
    Here's my entry (it's a double-faced card):

Link: Willia by Day
    Link: Tacenda by Night

Willia and Tacenda are twins from the MTG novel "Children of the Nameless" (it's the same novel where the planeswalker Davriel first appeared as well).

Both of them have a curse, though slightly different. Every evening when the sun comes down, Willia becomes blind and Tacenda can see again, then every morning Tacenda becomes blind and Willia gets her sight back.

Willia is the fierce one, she protects the hunters of her little Kessig village during the day. Tacenda is the soft one, she protects the village from monsters at night with a warding song.
  • @The-DM i'm so glad you made Mileva. I hoped someone was gonna do it! 
  • edited June 2020
    (Post updated, @TheEnderDragon )
  • edited June 2020
    Here is....

THE RAVEN MAN!!

I'm just going to add a few nots about his abilities here. There is an existing ability called haunt which does the same thing a possess, except it only targets creatures. I wanted to expand it to any permanent (including planeswalkers). With the third ability, I didn't include sacrifice ability in the activation cost because if I did that, he wouldn't be able to possess the returned planeswalker.

I had a lot of fun making this, so I hope you enjoy it too!

Edit: Wording fix made.
  • Yes! Was wondering when someone would make the Raven Man
  • Is this going to be judged?
  • Cool. Thanks for letting us know!
  • Challenge 3:

Each color in magic has its own strengths and weaknesses and a certain range of abilities it can do. I want you to find new design space within these mono-color identities and give them each a new ability that will be unique to them. It should be relatively simple. A bit more complex than the evergreen keywords and less complex than mutate.

Cards will be judged on
    • Wording
    • Balance
    • Flavor

Rules: (same as before)
    No old cards
    No Jokes cards
    Only 1 entry per competitor

This will begin June 27th  at 12:01 PST and will end July 1st at 11:59 PST
This discussion has been closed.