The Third Annual Artful August

1235»

Comments

• I wish I had more time to work on my entry... Maybe next year.

Congratulations to winners and really for everyone who participated!
  • Congrats to everyone who placed and honorable mentions! Very awesome designs this year guys. I want to drop the updated artwork on my entry now that the contest is over. I want to thank @Tomigon again for the help in coloring Scouting Sliver, it looks so much better. 🤘😷

• Wow, I am honored and humbled! Thank you Corwinnn, Ian_the_Guru, and the whole Cardsmith team for the amazing contest. Congrats all around - it's a joy each year to see the breadth of this community's skill and creativity!
  • Congrats all around. Great art this year!
  • @sorinjace - Love the updated card!
  • edited September 2020
    Ah, bummer. I was so sure I would make the cut, maybe third place, but I also knew other entries deserve it more than me... It's a shame, but at least I was happy to participate.

Congrats to all the winners, you did great!
  • @Scaccogaming - Don't feel bad, we loved your entry and we're glad you participated!!
  • Friendly question - Are planeswalker unappreciated here for some reason?
  • @The-DM I doubt it. I think making a planeswalker was very creative! I can offer some feedback on it though (and maybe some reasons that are my guess to why Alexi didn't place)-

The parts I bold is where I the problems are. 

The +2 ability-
    Scry 1, then draw a card. If it was an artifact, draw another card.

The problem here is that opponents don't know of you're lying about the card being an artifact or not since it isn't revealed. The wording is also off a little too. A corrected version of the ability would be this:
    Scry 1, then reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. If it was an artifact card, draw a card.

The -2 ability-
    Create a 3/2 blue Transfer artifact creature token. Alexi's loyalty abilities can't be activated on your next turn. Draw a card.

Why is it a blue artifact? I think that makes this card more confusing than it should be. There are plenty of colored spells that make colorless artifact creatures. It might've been simpler to create two thopter tokens (with flying) instead of a 3/2 with no abilities which is a token that has been seen before in similar colors already (eldrazi). The next part doesn't allow Alexi's abilities to be activated next turn, which makes it so that I'd almost never want to use the -2 ability because losing loyalty counters already makes Alexi vulnerable to damage more. I don't think draw a card is necessary, but there isn't really a problem with it.

The -9 ability-

You get an emblem with "Whenever you draw a card, if it was an artifact, you may play it without paying it's mana cost."

I feel like this ability is a bit lackluster compared to Tamiyo's ultimate, which is a -7 (even though Tamiyo needs 3 colors). Next, play should be cast since you can play only one land each turn anyways and this doesn't change anything even with artifact lands. It's should also be its here.

I know this feedback sounds a little harsh, but your art was still amazing and I loved the ideas in your card too! There were just a few wording/balance issues in the execution of your design! I hope this helps!
  • @shadow123

I see your point in the first one.

The reason why she cannot activate abilities is for flavor purposes. Alexi is supposed to a digitalized soul. I wanted o make it seem like she Transfered into the artifact creature (which is also why it is blue.)
    (Maybe she'll be able to use loyalty abilites in her robot?)

I'll see what I can do with the ult.
  • @The-DM - Also keep in mind planeswalkers are harder to design, as each of the three parts are judged, while a regular card can have fewer elements that need to be analysed, AND planeswalker art is vertical, so about half of it gets lost on the card. I think these are a couple of reasons why we don't see a lot of planeswalkers in this challenge.
  • This contest will happen again soon? I really want to participate the next one. Is there any other contest like this that includes art? :disappointed:
  • edited September 2020
    We do this every year @Aglio - Sorry you missed it. The good thing is, you only have 11 months to wait for the official one, but that doesn't mean someone else won't start one up sooner!
  • edited September 2020
    Ah, all right... so if I missed it, I will left my own Artwork here just for the appreciation. Will have more, soon. 

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/naturs-metamorph-2

Full artwork

• @The-DM
    I think whoever saw your card and didn't say anything about the power balance were your rivals haha. That planeswalker is too powerful. A 4 cmc planeswalker's +2 ability shouldn't let you draw cards without drawbacks. 
    The concept wasn't easy but you did a good job!

@Aglio
    That art looks amazing!
  • In my disappointment selfishness I say my artwork deserved better, although that's not true. Thanks for favoriting it anyway @Corwinnn! Loved taking part.
  • @Tomigon

I have rivals? I feel so honored.
This discussion has been closed.