Mechanix Challenges

Comments

• edited November 2020
    @Corwinnn - Thanks for hosting and for the 1st place! I would like to choose these two mechanics for future challenges:

Humanity by me: https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TenebrisNemo/sets/50029

[cost]: Humanity N (If this creature isn't a Human, put N -1/-1 counters on it and it becomes a Human.)

My version of NokiSkaur's custom mechanic. Original: Manaburst (When you cast this spell, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, add three mana of any color.)

My version: Manaburst N (When you cast this spell, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, add N mana of any one color. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.)
  • edited December 2020

--Mechanics of this week--

"Anger" by @Arcandrus

Anger (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, defending player puts the top three cards of their library into their graveyard.)
    ..or..
    Anger (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, defending player mills three cards.)

"Manaburst" by @NokiSkaur

Original version:
    Manaburst (When you cast this spell, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, add three mana of any color.)

TenebrisNemo version:
    Manaburst N (When you cast this spell, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, add N mana of any one color. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.)

"Bless" by @CnBCustoms

Bless (When this creature enters the battlefield, put a fate counter on another target creature. That creature becomes blessed.)

"Inflection" by @ThatOneCat

Inflection - If [color symbol] was spent to cast this spell, (effect..)

Inflection - [Cost]: If [color symbol] was spent to activate this ability, (effect..)

AUTHOR’S NOTE: May repeat for any number of colors or have other effects that don’t require the colors of mana

"Prosperity" by @Gafratt01

Prosperity - As long as you life total is equal to or higher than your starting life total, (effect..)

"Exhaust" by @citizen66

Original version:
    Exhaust _____. (Remove a +1/+1 counter from that creature.)

TheMechanix version
    Exhaust _____. (That creature gets -1/-0 until your next turn. Remove a +1/+1 counter from it.)

"Tidal" (or "Countdown", "Cyclical", "Wane") by Tomigon 

Tidal N (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from this permanent. If you can't, put N time counters on it.)

"Invoke" by @shadow123

Invoke [Cost] ([Cost]: This invocation becomes an enchantment creature until the end of turn.)

"Humanity" by @TenebrisNemo

[cost]: Humanity N (If this creature isn't a Human, put N -1/-1 counters on it and it becomes a Human.)

"Cathode" by @crawdadswelcome

Cathode (If a source would subtract from this creature's power or toughness, it adds instead. If the text of a spell or ability targeting this creature includes the word 'destroy' change it to 'regenerate'.)

TheMechanix version
    Cathode (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell, change that spell's text by replacing all instances of "-" with "+", and "destroy" with "regenerate".)

Some of these are Action Keywords! Don't mix them up with keyword abilities!

-----------

Prizes:

Top three winning cards will get a favorite from -TROPHY- 
    1st place winner will get 1/4 circuit point 

(Ended. Scroll down or turn the page to see the new challenge!)
  • Humanity by me:

Innocent Devil
  • @Corwinnn, Anger should be "mills three cards."
  • @joemamajoe
    I think it can be, but I don't think it should be. Beginners would also need reminder text for "mill".
    https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=485401
    I'm not sure WotC would put a word that has its reminder text in another mechanic's reminder text.

• edited November 2020
    @Tomigon I suspect that they will, and that joemamajoe's correct. There aren't any physical examples of it as of yet, but if you go and look at the Oracle text for dredge, you'll see it's been errata'd to use "mill". Mill kind of exists so that they can shorthand the thing it represents (while also giving in to years of the community basically operating off of the term anyway) and so WotC's intent is to phase it in as something that appears absolutely every case and becomes ubiquitous to a degree that they'll theoretically never need to stick reminder text on it any more.

Obviously you can keep it as it is here for the sake of beginners or whatever, but perhaps a little note / reminder about the existence of the new mill terminology might satisfy all involved.
  • edited November 2020
    @Corwinnn pretty sure that cathode is meant to interact with -1/-1 counters as well

• @MemoryHead
    I helped making this card, so I knew the oracle was changed. 
    My guess is they replaced all instances of "put the top N cards of their library into their graveyard" with "mill N" in their database at once. Dredge is an old mechanic and is rated 10 in storm scale, so maybe they didn't care? I don't know.

Before "mill" became a word, it was already kinda mtg slang in English. But in Japan it was not. Japanese word for "mill" is what I had never seen before. I think it's a little intimidating, especially for beginners. And I don't want that word to be in a reminder text where everything should be explained clearly. It's like seeing "Scry" in reminder text. It doesn't feel right to me.
  • edited November 2020
    @Username
    I tried to edit that mechanic with better MTG grammar, but I couldn't cover everything it does. 
    You can make your versions of these mechanics. And I'm excited to see them!
  • Btw I will be judging this round, so you don't need to @ Corwinnn
  • @Usaername -  The original version of Cathode is the one you requested as it appears on the card. It was confusing to me as well at first, because it was combined with an ability. I think it interacts with -1 and +1 counters no matter what version you use.
  • "Cathode (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell, change that spell's text by replacing all instances of "-" with "+", and "destroy" with "regenerate".)" 

that's the 'Mechanix version'. the way this is worded, yes it works with spells that put  -1/-1 counters on things, but not with the counters already on the things. it would disable things like this, my first entry:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/zealous-warmonger
  • Inflection by @ThatOneCat

What happens when two blue effects become a black one?

This was fun to make!
  • edited November 2020
    Knight of Belenon

Bless by @CnBCustoms
  • edited November 2020
    Inflection by ThatOneCat:

Feast of Famine
  • Invoke by Shadow123:

• "Prosperity" by  Gafratt01

• Been a while since I've entered a contest, hope I still got it. Got 3 entries for now

image image
  • edited November 2020
    Tidal by @Tomigon !

Edit: Changed color
  • Manaburst by NokiSkaur:

Earth Aven
  • It's time to announce the winners!

1st Place
    Memory Dismissal by @shadow123 ; (+1/4cp @Corwinnn)
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/memory-dismissal

2nd Place
    Feast of Famine by @TenebrisNemo
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/feast-of-famine-1

3rd Place 
    Grove of Magnolias-Singers by @CassZero ;
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/grove-of-magnolias-singers

@shadow123@TenebrisNemo, @CassZero, each of you can choose up to two custom mechanics for future challenges. Pick any mechanics you can find in Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL or Tome of TheMechanix, or you can make new mechanics! Comment on this thread or send me a PM. If you don't want to choose, that's also ok!
  • edited November 2020
    Ooh! Wow! Thank you @Tomigon and congrats to all the other winners.

Here are my mechanic choices:

Lurk by @Damnation
    Lurk [Cost] (If you put this card into your graveyard from your library, put it into exile. When you do, cast it for its lurk cost or put it into your graveyard.)

and

Dream by @saveria201
    Dream [Cost] (You may pay an additional [cost] as you cast this spell. If you do, choose another nonland card name.)
  • edited November 2020
    @Tomigon - Thanks for the 2nd place and for judging! Congrats to other @Winners as well!

My two chosen mechanics are...

Lessen by me (Remove a counter from any number of target permanents and/or players.)

https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TenebrisNemo/sets/29122

Belief [cost] by @Faiths_Guide (You may cast this card without paying its mana cost. If you do, each other player may pay [cost]. If no mana is paid this way, counter this spell.)
  • @shadow123 might want to reread the reminder text for Lurk closely
  • @AboveAndAbout That round already ended...
  • edited January 2021
    @RandomFandom He just saw the future.. because I announce this and I count his card as the first submission!

-Mechanics of this week-

Belief by @Faiths_Guide 
    Belief [cost] (You may cast this card without paying its mana cost. If you do, each other player may pay [cost]. If no mana is paid this way, counter this spell.)

Lurk by @Damnation
    Lurk [Cost] (If you put this card into your graveyard from your library, put it into exile. When you do, cast it for its lurk cost or put it into your graveyard.)

Dream by @saveria201
    Dream [Cost] (You may pay an additional [cost] as you cast this spell. If you do, choose another nonland card name.)

Lessen by @TenebrisNemo
    Lessen. (Remove a counter from any number of target permanents and/or players.)
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/user/TenebrisNemo/sets/29122
    *Action Keyword

Battlecraft by @MrRansom
    Battlecraft (This spell costs {1} less to cast for each source that dealt damage to an opponent this turn.)

Knighthood by @joemamajoe
    Knighthood [Cost] ([Cost]: Put a vigilance counter on target creature.)

Reverberate by @KalamMekhar
    Reverberate N - [Cost] ([Cost]: Exile this card from your hand with N wave counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a wave counter from it. If you do, copy the exiled card. You may cast this copy without paying its mana cost.)

Zealous by @Kinojitsu_Asahi
    Zealous - if you gained or lost 7 or more life this turn, (effect..)
    Zealous - [Cost]: (effect). Activate this ability only if you gained or lost 7 or more life this turn.
    ...etc
    NOTE: (Damage causes loss of life.)

Tame by @KorandAngels
    Tame [Cost] ([Cost]: Gain control of this creature. Any player may activate this ability.)

Manalink by @Luigifan
    Manalink (Whenever this creature deals damage, untap up to that many target lands you control.)
    Name ideas: "Earthbond", "Landbond", "Earthlink", "Landlink"

-----------

Prizes:

Top three winning cards will get a favorite from -TROPHY- 
    1st place winner will get 1/4 circuit point 

(Ended. Check out the new challenge!)
  • HaHaHa! That's awesome!
This discussion has been closed.