Archetype Contest (Entry Closed)

Let’s get right down to business. This is a contest where you attempt to create cards to support different deck archetypes. In the first phase of the first round, you guys can say you want to enter until 12 people have done this. Then, I will randomly assign each contestant a deck archetype, along with a description of that archetype. Then you’ll try to make a card that supports that archetype, and post it here. Once all 12 participants have done this, we’ll move into the next round. The second and third rounds will be just like this. Then, I’ll announce the winners of each round, and pick one of the three to be the winner of the whole thing. Good luck, and may the best cardsmith win!

Comments

• I'll enter.
  • Sounds interesting. I'm game.
  • I’ll enter!
  • I dunno if enough people will join, actually. I may just have to do it with 6 people. We’ll see.
  • Wow @joemamajoe , entering twice, I see :joy:
  • Oops. My computer is bugging because five people at my house are on the internet at the same time.
  • I'm in as well!
  • Welp, we’ll just have to do it with the 10 contestants we have so far.

@ChoyBoi
    Hate. This deck seeks to shut down other specific archetypes, and is designed to be able to sideboard in cards as necessary.

@SpellPiper2213
    Aggro-Control. This archetype likes to protect its cheap, powerful creatures with cards that would otherwise fit into a control deck.

@MemoryHead
    Aggro. Aggro decks use burn damage and cheap creatures to get their opponent’s life to 0 early in the game.

@FourEyesIsAFish
    Prison. Prison is a subset of Control that keeps control of the board state using resource denial.

@Ranshi
    Control. Control decks try to keep the game going longer in order to use their more powerful cards, and, as their name suggests, to keep control over the board state.

@shadow123
    Storm. Storm is a subset of Combo that casts a lot of small, cheap spells, then casts a “storm” spell to create enormous effects and dominate the game.

@CassZero
    Ramp. Ramp decks build up mana advantage, and have big spells on which to spend the mana.

@joemamajoe
    Landfall. Landfall is a subset of Combo that has a lot of “landfall” permanents, and uses ramp-like techniques to get lands onto the battlefield, in order to trigger its “landfall” cards en masse.

@Usaername
    Midrange. Midrange decks has a playstyle that first builds up mana, then starts laying down threats. They are pretty adaptable, but usually need sideboarding to cope with Combo decks.

@Derain2
    Voltron. Voltron is a subset of Midrange in which you put a lot of Auras, Equipments and overall buffs to a single creature.

Once again, good luck to all of you, and I hope you have a fun time playing!
  • Do I smell... izzet control?
  • Mwhahahaha! I run a control deck on Arena...
  • @RandomFandom For the sake of asking, are there any requirements or expectations for format or whatever, or will those be specified (if anything ends up needing them to be specified at all) only if necessary?
  • edited November 2020
    Here's my entry for my archetype: Control.

Card control is one of the most potent forms of control. If you can control what your opponents draw you can position yourself in such a way to be prepared for everything that they might throw at you, or prevent them from doing so entirely. I know this isn't the most powerful thing... Notion Thief prevents your opponent from drawing while giving you more card advantage... but this--this allows you to toy with your opponent, give them the illusion of choice, all the while maintaining tabs on the situation and keeping them under your thumb.
  • you kidding me!? just... midrange!? that's the broadest of all possible archetypes! it's going to be almost physically impossible to design cards specifically for
  • edited November 2020
    @Usaername You get...freedom of design, I guess?
  • edited November 2020
    Too bad I didn't get aggro, control, or ramp. At least I run an Omnath, Locus of Rage EDH deck.

Here's my entry: 

Savage Behemoth

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/savage-behemoth

It is a landfall card, that can get additional lands into your hand to trigger the landfall again and again. It works well with other landfall cards too.

It's pretty big and can get even bigger. But, watch out opponents, if you're playing a blue deck, this can be a massive unblockable threat.

I was thinking about making it a legendary creature to be a useful commander, but I decided not to.

I hope you enjoy it!
  • edited November 2020
    @Ranshi I don’t know if you understand what the contest is about... you need to make a card that supports Control decks in some way.

@Usaername Sorry about that. You can make a card that supports a specific type of Midrange, if you want.

@joemamajoe I can’t see your entry. Try posting a link to it or something?

Edit: sorry Ranshi and Joe, the images didn’t show up until I reloaded the page.
  • Dustborn Blackguard

I mainly based this off of creatures with threshold.
  • when is the card due?
  • @Usaername Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that, let’s say... November the 20th.

• https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/iyn-deathshroud-dreamer

made this to fit into a BUG Legacy midrange deck much like this one: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=27631&d=419502&f=LE

It's main goal would be to generate value with Uro's escape ability and Scavenging Ooze, but it could be used in many other styles of deck as well
  • Here's mine:
    Smother Resistance
  • This is thunder channeler!

While, yes, it's a little expensive for a storm deck, this also reduces spells' costs really easily in a storm deck. It allows you to get many more options in one turn, especially in storm decks, and has prowess to benefit off of those spells. I hope you like it!
This discussion has been closed.