Walking down the moon drenched streets
    A stranger walking by
    Her image splashed across my path
    Something evil in her eye

I gasped and glanced to check again
    Saw evil twist it all
    But next to her my reflection too
    Fellow demon walking tall
  • I'll bite, this sounds like an interesting contest.
  • can I have a song
    i had a pretty hard time with my last one

• edited March 2021

Week 3 - Results

One of the Filtered Wastes by @AboveAndAbout

Song: Wolves (Instrumental Version) by MISSIO 
    I'm quite disappointed. Did you not notice the wolves howling in the middle of the song? Hmm... The only thing I think you went for here is that the drum beat might match footsteps of a slow moving thing, like this Golem here. Let's dissect the card. When it deals combat damage choose 2 out of the 2 options listed (okay, right there, this becomes an UN card.) Next up up you're first bullet point should be: "Put a time counter on target creature defending player controls. It gains Vanishing 1." <--- So basically target creature is gone in one turn... because the Golem dusted it LOL... nice - The 2nd bullet is also nice. Kind of like a petrification counter..... but not as awesome, it just turns something into an artifact for some reason.... but that doesn't change its colors or anything... does the Golem inject metal into defending creatures veins or something?
    You kind of lost me on this card 1) because I don't see how it related to the song and 2) because it's not an UN card but should be... and 3) because I don't quite understand what you're going for other than experimenting with ways to have an Artifact Creature serve up removal mechanics of a sort. I'm going to give this entry a 2 out of 5 stars and the card a 3 out of 5 this week. Sorry bud. I'll give you a shorter clip next time!

Winner of Week 3 - Moonlit Revelation by @TheRacingTurtle

Song: 2:50 - 4:11 of Demons by Kai Wachi 

Okay, not bad. *CLAP* CLAP* This was a deceptively short minute and 20 seconds to listen to. It didn't offer much, but it had something that I feel you captured well. Listening closely, you almost get the vibe of rain falling and someone hesitant to walk into the rain... likewise, and metaphorically this could be someone trying to accept their demons... and eventually embrace them by letting them follow them around instead of fighting them. So here we have sad artwork of a person standing in a puddle, it's gently raining, and their shadow is their skeleton. NICE find and NICE art selection. Let's dig into the card itself... Flashback ?? Doesn't that go at the end of the card? Let's read on... Create a token that's a copy of target creature you control, except it's a blue Illusion with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it." <--- okay... interesting to go with Illusion here... let's read on... If this spell was cast via flashback, the token is a black and blue Demon Illusion creature with fear and "sacrifice this when it becomes targeted." OKAY OKAY WOW WOW WEE. What a concept... Let me explore your brain for a second... This is all brought together by the flavor text - at first glance, this is a blue spell.... at second glance, flashback makes this a black spell - SWEET.... in relation to the goal of our premise here, of accepting our demons.... the demons got the best of us at first, perhaps they never showed because we didn't accept them... then with a little touch of evil black magic... here they are.... okay well done.. This isn't the greatest card I've seen nor is it the best entry you could have done here.... but nobody is perfect - this is pretty well done. 4 or 4.5 out of 5 for both card and entry.

Impending Doom by @FORFUN

Song: 0:00 - 0:40 of X-Rated by Excision 

OKIE DOKIE FORFUN welcome to the party! I wanted to ease you in with what I thought was the easiest gimmie challenge of all... your 40 second clip consisted of about 20 seconds of approaching footsteps followed by the roar of the Jurassic Park T-Rex and them extremely low, ominous sounds and a few more dinosaur roars. SO I was hoping for a darn near evil, omnipotent Dinosaur.... instead ... you focused on the 2nd part of the 40 second clip and went with Impending Doom ... nonetheless, something colossal is in the art... so let's take a look and delve into your card. At the start of your turn, put a doom counter on Impending Doom - - - I like where we are going... Pay 4 generic mana to speed this process up... okay okay so the creature runs across 4 lands and gets closer.... okay okay realistic, I like that. Lastly, we have if it has 8 counters on it... sac it and destroy everything - MASS EXTINCTION style.... okay WOW WOW WEE what a way to die.... so you lost me on the last part... here's why - - - up until part 3 of Impending Doom, we have something monstrous getting closer... whatever will it be and do??? then all of a sudden (8 counters later - - - wait - - - did you count the number of footsteps in the song????) I'm not gonna listen back, but BRAVO if you did. Where was I??? Oh yes, so it's finally here..... what is it??? I dunno but it just turned into an instant kill thing... like a giant comet that slaps everything on the world into oblivion.... I feel like the buildup never amounted to a creature of epic proportions.... instead it surmounted to a climax not unlike the one that ended the dinosaurs.... Hmmmmmm... but I see no hint of this in the artwork... I feel like this was a near miss of an entry (pun intended). I'm going to say 3.75 out of 5 stars for entry and 4 out of 5 for the card. Not your best work, but pretty stout and promising. I hope to see you participate again in the future.

Week 4 Starts Now - You may submit your cards you've been working on or submit a new request!

• I'll take a song.
  • I'll take a song.
  • edited March 2021
    I'll take another one!(Test two)
  • Sent to all
  • i'll take a new one! can it be a new genre though? Also i'll try to do last week's this week as well, just for fun
  • Oh gods, it's sunday again. This is beginning to look like assignments to school xd
    I'll get right to it
  • Okay, I've found out that I'm late for judging, but whatever. Here's my card anyways:

My song was Knights of Cydonia (some orchestral and remastered version):

My process when creating this card was a little bit different then before. I didn't disect the song into its parts and examin them deeply, this time I only focused on the image that appeared in my head when I was listening to it.

A young couple, two heroes ready to defend their world and their love. The night sky burning red. A battle is coming. The two lovers look into each other's eyes for what might be the last time. They share one last dance. Then the time comes. They hold their hands as they prepare for the battle. They know it might be the end to everything. But they are determined to do whatever it takes. And they fight side by side.

For some reason the first part of the song really sounded like a dance melody to me, so there's the inspiration behind the theme of this card. The second part is more ominous and I imagined the two lovers fighting side by side against a horde of enemies - a tragic and a heroic moment at the same time. I hope you can understand the idea of the card.

Anyways, sorry for being late and I'd like to request another song.
  • Thanks for the feedback j, I love seeing into your mind. I feel you’ve got like 95% of my thought pattern here, so I’ll explain where I was attempting to go. The blue illusion with the typical illusion effect I felt was the best mechanical representation of a reflection. Still capable of messing with you, but easily disturbed. The song gave me the vibe of a downtrodden city, it’s raining. You pass someone and at a glance something seems off about their reflection in the puddles. You look over your shoulder to check again, and realise their reflection is twisted into a horrific demon. But then as you process this, you look around and realise - so is yours. So is everyone else’s. This is the reality of life here. So onwards you trudge through the rain.

Whoopsies on the flashback, I think I clicked straight away I wanted it in the card and then didn’t stop to think about formatting after I’d written it.

May I request another tune please maestro?
  • I like it @ThePhantomJoker
    I'll give feedback next Sunday on it! 
  • Have ou judged my most recent entry?
  • https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/wayward-soarer

I'll take a tune again next week too thanks j.
  • edited March 2021
    My entry for this week:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/sparkling-forest-2

Inspired by the song "One last wish" (orchestral)

I don't have much to say about it this week. The song sounded really peaceful and I imagined a forest sparkling with magic and these little spirits peaking all around you (represented by the Plant tokens), something like in Princess Mononoke.
  • Solid entry

• I had 2:20 - 3:00 of this songs right here.

Lemme tell you, this one was a toughie. It starts out with somber music, like something you might hear accompanying a funeral, but then it kicks up into something more uplifting. I had to listen to it a bunch of times, but I eventually had the idea that it sort of sounded like the music picking up at the end of a western as the main character rides into the sunset, so I went with that.

Into the Sunset

I didn't want to take the time to write out a whole story segment, but what I imagine happening is that these two characters stand at their friend's grave at sunset, and one of them places a cowboy hat on the headstone before turning around to leave. The other asks something along the lines of "where are you going?" and the first responds with "Onwards. To a new adventure. It's what he would've wanted" and we get a zooming in shot on the grave with the hat as they walk away before it transitioning to a shot of them riding into the sunset.
  • Beautiful cards everyone!

Not sure when I'll have a sec to do these, but I wanted to announce the winner before I dive into all the feedback! Congratulations @TheRacingTurtle
  • This week I'd like to do something different - a song exchange... 

To request a song for this week, send me a song you want ME to do in message, then I'll give you your song. 

Thanks!

• Definitely Live on Twitch for a Memeful Monday review and mystery boxes, plus catching up on Sunday Soundwaves and chatting about the next upcoming day of the week contests.

• Like all of the songs I know are religeous
  • all of the songs i know are video game music
  • I forgot to make mine...

:'( 
  • Make er anytime @FORFUN
This discussion has been closed.