Netherworld - A Set!

Hello one and all! For the past month, I've been working on a set called Netherworld, and I decided to source some ideas for cards from the community. In general, the set is about two interconnected planes, which have been growing closer and closer over thousands of years. One plane, a plane fully inhabited by humans, elves, and dwarves, is a plane full of strange magical occurrences, while upon the other, a war between light and dark; angels and demons, is being waged.

The mechanics within this set are as following:
Etherform [cost] (This creature gains flying and becomes an Angel in addition to all other types until end of turn.) 
Netherform [cost] (This creature gains flying and becomes a Demon in addition to all other types until end of turn.) 
These two mechanics show how magic from one plane has been leaking over to the other, allowing mortals to temporarily take the forms of angels and demons.

Bond (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may bond it to an unbonded Equipment you control. If you do, attach that equipment to it.)
Dream [cost] (You may cast this spell for its dream cost if it's the second spell you've cast this turn.)
These mechanics show the existing magic of the plane inhabited by humans and other such creatures, the magic of knights and wizards.

The general two color archetypes are as follows:
 Azorius (W/U) - Dream Control
 Boros (R/W) - Angels
 Dimir (U/B) - Graveyard Control
 Golgari (B/G) - Bond 
 Gruul (R/G) - Bond Aggro
 Izzet (U/R) - Dream Aggro
 Orzhov (W/B) - Discard
 Rakdos (B/R) - Demons
 Selesnya (W/G) - Anti Non-Human 
 Simic (U/G) - Self-Mill

A few notes about these archetypes for those who may be confused:

Golgari Bond mainly focuses around accruing value each turn with the bond mechanic, while Gruul Bond Aggro is about one time Bond payoffs
Azorius Dream Control focuses around playing low cost draw spells into dream spells that remove or counter, so you can keep your hand full and deal with threats, while Izzet Dream Aggro focuses on emptying out your hand very quickly with a dream payoff on the board to win quickly
Since this set is full of a lot of non-human creatures, the Selesnya archetype focuses around countering non-humans with creatures while amassing a strong board state
Dimir Graveyard control is basically using your graveyard (and others) to power up things you cast, and synergies well with Orzhov Discard or Simic Self-Mill

Overall, I'm looking for designs of non-legendary, non-planeswalker cards for this set. Feel free to post any ideas you have; anything helps.

Comments

• edited February 2021
    I have an idea for the Orzhov Discard:

Sinful Patriot   {2}{w}{b}
    Creature -- (Vampire or Demon) Noble
    Whenever Sinful Patriot attacks, you and another target player discard a card.

Sinful Patriot gets +1/+1 for each card discarded this turn.

2/2
  • An idea for the Selesnya anti-nonhuman

Fight the Unnatural     1GW
    Enchantment
    Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a +1/+1 counter on it. If you do, it fights target non-Human creature.
  • Thanks for the ideas! Both are great
  • In terms of "plane full of strange magical occurrences", what are you looking for? Are we talking manticores and giants, or spirits and elementals?
  • Close to Dominaria, its a plane with similar creatures, mainly elementals, but the set itself won't have tribal support, there will just be some varied creature types.
  • edited February 2021
    Fractured Barriers  {2}{w}{u}
    Enchantment
    Enchantment spells in your hand have dream {1}{w}{u}.

Whenever you cast an enchantment for its dream cost, each player may draw a card.
  • edited February 2021
    Flaring Epiphany  {4}{w}{r}
    Sorcery
    Flaring Epiphany deals 4 damage to any three creatures an opponent controls, then any three creatures you control.

Until end of turn, Etherform costs you pay cost {w}{r} less to cast.
  • Impelling Glimmers  {u}{g}
    Enchantment -- Aura Rune
    Enchant permanent

As long as enchanted permanent is a creature, it has +1/+0 and "Whenever this creature becomes tapped, mill 3 cards.

As long as enchanted permanent is an Equipment, it has "Equipped creature gets +1/+2."

OR

Fastening Glimmers  {w}{g}
    Enchantment -- Aura Rune
    Enchant permanent

As long as enchanted permanent is a creature, it has +0/+1 and "This creature can't be blocked by non-Human creatures."

As long as enchanted permanent is an Equipment, it has "Equipped creature gets +0/+3."
  • Thanks for all of these! A few notes on the individual cards:

Sinful Patriot: This is a great idea! I'll probably put this in as the Orzhov uncommon signpost, or as a black card.

Fight the Unnatural: This will definitely go in as a creature for the Selesnya signpost uncommon; I love it.

Fractured Barriers: This is already an idea I've had, but it will be in as something closer to Dream Devourer.

Flaring Epiphany: I like this, but it doesn't seem playable enough. Six mana to kill some opponents creatures an some of yours, just to reduce etherform doesn't seem playable enough. There's definitely potential in the idea though.

Sadly, there's not space for runes in the set, but there are some cool ideas in there.
  • Just a few designs I came up with for an uncommon cycle (still missing a white design) if anyone wants to give me some feedback:

---------
    ~~ {1}{u}{u}
    Instant

Dream {1}{u}

Counter target spell. If ~ was dreamt, scry 2.
    ----------
    ~~ {1}{b}{b}
    Instant

Dream {1}{b}

Destroy target creature. If ~ was dreamt, that creature's controller discards a card.
    ----------
    ~~ {1}{r}{r}
    Instant

Dream {1}{r}

Exile the top three cards of your library. You may play them until end of turn. If ~ was dreamt, you may play them until the end of your next turn instead.
    -----------
    ~~ {1}{g}{g}
    Instant

Dream {1}{g}

Target creature gets +2/+2, vigilance, and reach until end of turn. If ~ was dreamt, instead put two +1/+1 counters on it and it gains vigilance and reach until end of turn.
  • Had an idea for R/W angels.

Justice Pilgrim {3}{w}{r}
    Creature - Angel Warrior
    Flying, Vigilance

{1}{w}{r}, {t}: Justice Pilgrim deals 3 damage to each creature that attacked this turn.

• edited February 2021
    Lightningrod Golem 5
    Artifact Creature - Golem

Creature spells that you cast for their dream cost cost [1] less.

3/3
  • @ChoyBoi ;

~~ 1WW
    Instant

Dream 1W

Target creature gets +1/+0 gains indestructible until end of turn. If ~~ was dreamt, you gain 2 life.
  • @SpellPiper2213
    Perfect! I could see the buff go up a little though.

As for the golem, I'm already planning to have a few of those effects in blue, so that probably won't be needed.
  • As for a timeline, I'll most likely have commons done by the start of next week, and uncommons will probably take 1-2 weeks.
  • The Show Goes On  {1}{b}{r}

You draw a card and lose 1 life for each Demon you control. Then, if you control three or more Demons, create a 3/3 black and red Demon creature token with flying.
  • Justice Pilgrim {3}{w}{r}
    Creature - Angel Warrior
    Flying, Vigilance

{1}{w}{r}, {t}: Justice Pilgrim deals 3 damage to each creature that attacked this turn.

My idea?
  • @TheDukeOfPork,
    Sorry!! Didn't see that one. I'm not sure if this is viable in the set, since I'm planning on having one multicolor for each multicolor pair at uncommon, and one/two for each at rare, then some at mythic. This might be included as an uncommon in red? Its a nice idea tho.
  • An idea for Orzhov Discard

Sinful Pontiff  {w}{w}{b}{b}
    Creature - Human Cleric

{w/b}{w/b}, Discard two cards: You gain 3 life and each opponent loses 1 life.

{
  • Bump. If anyone has ideas, feel free to post them. I've been working on a lot of other things, and have gotten very sidetracked, but I will be continuing to work on common creation whenever I find time.
  • an idea for Boros:

Glory Claimer {1}{W}{W}{R}{R}
    Creature- Angel

Flying, haste

Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies to combat damage. Glory Claimer deals X damage to them and you gain X life, X is Glory claimer's power.

4/4