How to get popular in MTG Cardsmith

I want to know how do you get noticed in MTG cardsmith. I have been here for over a year and yet, not really that popular at all. Any tips?

Comments

• edited September 2015
    In order of importance, in my opinion:

1) Comment on other people's designs with friendly constructive feedback. People are here to design cards, and the designers worth knowing will not only want to make cards, but make better cards. If you can help people to make cards better, they will notice you.

2) Design cards that other people like.

3) Enter, and hopefully win, contests/challenges (the challenge forums would be a great place to find cards that others have designed and leave some constructive comments).

4) Join in a collaborative set. Working closely with a small group of cardsmiths should build some bonds.

• Make a squirrel-related card about Coriwnnn.
  • Ask Corwinnn to be your hype man. I'm sure with a minimal use of his services you can become super popular ova night!
  • Everything MrRansom said is great advice. All I think I could add to that is be able to accept criticism as well. My cards are rarely good, but I'll remake it 20 times if I have to, and I'm always willing to take advice... MrRansom is a great example of this as well. He is clearly one of the best Cardsmiths on the site, but he will take criticism and advice from anyone if it helps make his cards better, and he always makes sure to give credit where credit is due.
  • edited September 2015
    Corwinnn is clearly the hypeman around here! Basically, the Flavor Flav of MTGCardsmith.
    I guess the rest of us are Public Enemies...
    :P
  • Also, popularity is overrated. You want to be known, not popular. I know you. Not extensively, but I do. Popularity to me means you have a bunch of fans, and fans favourite cards not worth favouriting.

You want a reputation as a worthwhile name. Comments are genuine, constructive, and knowledgeable. People ask you for favors and help. My best advice is to become a name on Disqus. Comment on everything. Funny stuff, helpful stuff, everything. When people start to follow you because you're funny, or have really great advice, then they start seeing your 9wn comments on your cards and start helping you out.

Bottom line, patience and comments. Everyone has decent cards, except Corwinnn, he's still new. His are all right. Ha ha. It's the extracurricular activities.
  • Yeah Boi!!!
  • @Suicidal_Deity
    "Also, popularity is overrated. You want to be known, not popular....You want a reputation as a worthwhile name. Comments are genuine, constructive, and knowledgeable. People ask you for favors and help."
    This seems exactly right. And it's what I tried to say, though much less eloquently, when I mentioned "the designers worth knowing."

Ultimately, you just need to emulate people like Corwinnn, and Suicidal_Deity, and Damnation, and Kauyan, and people like Beeswax, and too many others to list!

This community is pretty great.
  • That's true, my cards are mostly weak, but sometimes folks take pity and throw me a bone
    :D
  • @Corwinnn
    Naw man, you got great cards, and considering where you first started? You're doing awesome. You're abstract, and you grass at ideas that are usually unconventional. Turns purists off, appeals to sense of humour and sense of wonder. Give and take.

And your humility is charming @MrRansom, but at some point you need to realize you're in that echelon as well.
  • @Suicidal_Deity, I think I am definitely better at making cards than I was. Thanks in large part to your willingness to extend a helping hand to me when I first started.
    However, I don't feel that offer that same help to others the way it has been offered to me. I try, but I'm not satisfied with my efforts yet.
  • @MrRansom
    Believing you are, and being are too different things. We criticize ourselves harsher than we criticize others, and you I have noticed are particularly hard on yourself. Not in a self destruction or attention grabbing manner, just how you seem. So when you are presented with my statement of you being as good as the rest you named, you dissect it more thoroughly than you would 8f I said someone deserved to be up there.

I don't deny you could get better, all of us can. Except maybe Beeswax, he.just gets 'different', ha ha. But that fact alone is not reason enough for you to deny your scope of influence, or the impact your words have on others. You are that good.

So, shut up, stop thinking and take the compliment. ^_^
  • @Suicidal_Deity
    I've taken that compliment straight in the face! Just wish I hadn't gotten so much of it in my eyes...
  • @JaceNalaar - I think the one thing that has possibly worked against you has been that there are a boatload of "Jace" accounts, but I think you've been standing out a lot more the past few months... I know you've been entering a lot more challenges and soon enough, you'll find yourself in FiveThings! And then it will be too late!

@Suicidal_Deity - Well said!
    @MrRansom - You missed a spot!

• 5) Make cards that are balanced. Anyone can make a {1} cost instant that says "Win the game". Creativity comes from designing cards you would want to play but would not make others not want to play you.
    6) Try to maintain MTG conventions. Use standard expressions and naming. Don't say "When you play this creature you get a free draw.", say "When X enters the battlefield, draw a card."
    7) Spelling, grammar, punctuation and formatting. Granted there are many people who use this site who are young or do not speak english as their first language, but there is no reason you can't spell check or go back to editing your card once you preview it.

Follow these rules and you may not end up on http://whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com/
  • (actually trying to get on there)
  • @strongbelieves. Also, dont make cards that are so terrible. Remember Arena Destruction anyone?
  • @JaceNalaar, people liked Arena Destruction, I thought. Didn't it get to the front page?
  • Yea, it also went to Whymtgcardsmith for it being unplayable. You are right, it was very popular. Also, it got even more popular because someone called it Anal Destruction. XD
  • It kinda does look like that now that they said it!
    :D
  • I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's aware of whymtgcardsmith
  • edited September 2015
    @ImBadAtBalancing, I get that feeling too when I feel like that I am within the obscure Jace accounts. Until people saids that I am sticking out the most because now, my competition is just Jacebaby24 instead of what it used to be Jacethemind. Also that I attend challenges and contests to see if I win a digital trophy or be placed in honorable mentions. :3 Links to their profile is here

http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/JaceBaby24
    http://mtgcardsmith.com/user/Jacethemind
  • "Make a squirrel-related card about Coriwnnn."
    That is the only card I have ever had 5 people favorite......

• RoFLMao! @Oduda... no way, you've got some good cards!
  • This is a lively discussion!
  • It really is!
This discussion has been closed.