Darkness your friend - make a good-aligned Black card

13»

Comments

• edited April 2018
    I thought I'd sneak one in before time ran out...

She cursed herself to become a mummy to rid her plane of Bolas.

• I've been informed by my job that I have quite a bit of extra work to do this coming week...which will make finding time to judge hard to find. But let's turn this into a positive shall we.

The deadline for this contest is extended to SUNDAY, APRIL 8TH, 11:59PM, JST timezone!!

Additionaly because of the extra time, I'm allowing FIVE ENTRIES per participant!! woo!

I'm updating the op rules now to reflect these changes.
  • edited April 2018
    A third entry for me:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/aznag-master-tactician

Following a meteoric rise to power in his youth, Aznag became the chieftain of the glorious Blood-slicked Horde. Honing the Horde's infamous combat prowess with complete devotion to his name, he turned it into the scourge of the surrounding human civilisations.

Aznag began to resent the humans he fought, but also to see that they had an advantage over the orcish horde: their tactics gave them an edge. As such Aznag took some human books of tactics captured in a raid and began to read them.

The books on tactics changed Aznag forever. He became a master of brutal guerrilla warfare, and stepped up his raids. He began to hate humans with a passion - their strategies and plots becoming symbols of oppression in his mind. Orcs love freedom before all other things and Aznag began to see that human society was exactly the opposite of this. He sought to turn its own weapons against it.

Aznag stopped caring about personal gain, or the gain of the Horde. Instead his aim became to stamp out the tyranny of humanity - the cloying restrictions of their 'civilisation.' What's more, Aznag sought to curb the wild hedonism of the Horde. He taught his orcs to appreciate their freedom, never to squander it, and to respect the importance of life. He also, however, taught them that freedom is worth fighting and dying for.
  • edited April 2018
    Third Entry - Based on the movie Veronica.
  • edited April 2018
  • Alright final day for entries! Remember up to 5 per contestant now. No more entries after 11:59 pm tomorrow japan standard time.
  • edited April 2018
    Just found this contest, so figured I'd enter something. 2 new and 1 old

• edited April 2018
    Times up!! This contest is ended for judging. I’ll repost with prizes soon!

(sry in advance if it takes longer than a couple days to judge, my work has been busy lately)
  • Posting the results later this afternoon! Sry for the delay everyone.
  • edited April 2018

Results are in!! You guys did awesome, there were many cards I liked and it was quite difficult to whittle it down to only five. But I did so, and.......

Honorable Mention 1~
    Weapon Reforger by @TenebrisNemo
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/weapon-reforger

This card stood out to me by its principle of seeing value in what others would see as useless or lacking any value, and so displaying black's resourcefulness. Only a couple entries showed this particular virtue in black magic.

Honorable Mention 2~
    Solitary Necromancer by @sanjaya666
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/solitary-necromancer

Great representation of what a necromancer of good alignment might do. His magic still includes the costs typical within practicing dark magic but for helpful, peaceful results.

3rd Place~
    Lich's Resolve by @TheCenterOfTheUniverse
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/lichs-resolve

A mage, becoming a lich to gain power over the mortality of everything they love. It greatly increases their own power limit while also protecting everything around them from death. I feel this is one of the best fits for this contest and a great twist on what is nearly always presented as an evil magical archetype.

2nd Place~
    Unflinching Recruit by @KalamMekhar
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/unflinching-recruit

A white mana soldier would willingly sacrifice himself to strengthen his fellow soldiers, but a black mana one? Even better, take action to ensure the end of the actual threat. It displays one situation that black as a color could be even more virtuous than white, in the right circumstances.

1st Place~
    Vengeful Tyrant by @Undead
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/vengeful-tyrant

I can so perfectly see how this legend would go. A village of well to do but simple farmers and traders, living on the frontier of an old kingdom, dangers not far away in every direction and yet the village is never threatened. Why? Because of the story surrounding the enormous pile of old dragon bones a few hundred yards away down the path that leads into this particular village. No group dares to attack this place, despite the nearest army of this kingdom being hundreds of miles away closer to the capital proper, because of the oath of an ancient dragon who so adored these little servants of his own, his treasure, and would have noone else take any of them from him or do any of them harm. They are HIS. And he will part with not one, no matter how small they are. This card feels as black as can be to me, and yet feels as close to good-alignment as a self-centered, vicious, tyrannical Smaug-like classic western dragon could possibly be. It's my winner of this contest.

Congrats contestants!! Please claim your rewards ❤️

Honorable mentions, one favorite of your choosing!
    3rd place, 3 favorites of your choosing!!
    2nd place, 5 favorites of your choosing!!
    1st place, either 7 favorites of your choosing or tell me an account you want PREMIUM for!
  • edited April 2018
    *sad face* wish I had placed in this one, I was totally feeling this contest I felt like maybe I was too basic with the sorin or Liliana cards most of us know the magic lore I was going for there if you follow magics storyline that's why my 3rd card a wizard brought back a loved one from the dead. This was certainly a tough challenge, thank you for this contest @saveria201 :) it kept my mind occupied for awhile.

Congrats to the winners and honorable mentions!!
  • @sorinjace I am spending time now going through and favoriting all the entrants I liked and that very nearly made my final cut. You had a couple I really liked! It was close.

@TheCenterOfTheUniverse done! :))
  • Congratulations, everybody.

@saveria201 - Fave this, please.
  • @saveria201 well that does make me feel better (sadly) lol. I'm glad you liked the ones you liked!
  • edited April 2018
    Wow, totally unexpected! Thanks, @saveria201! Please fave anything you like! Sorry for being so vague but I'll be on a bit of a break from the site until exams are over later this month and I don't have the time to sift through my collection. Maybe fave some of my cards with the 'insular' mechanic, yes? They're more recent.
  • @KalamMekhar sure I'll do so! Good luck on your exams!!
  • edited April 2018
    @Undead okay, if you’re sure! You don’t want premium membership? The favorites were offered in case the winner was already premium.

Edit~ nvm I gifted you premium, enjoy.
  • edited April 2018
    Bonus creature i just made that I felt like displaying here since it kinda works with this soon to be closed thread.

• edited October 2018
    Now you've done it @Undead ! You make me want to play character in a tabletop RPG similar to your winning card!
This discussion has been closed.