Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• @Faiths_Guide
    Spare target [permanent - type/subtype] (The next time you would sacrifice that permanent this turn, you may choose not to instead.)
  • edited April 2018
    @Faiths_Guide - I feel like Spare should incur an alternate cost.

Like, if I choose to Spare some distressed furniture in my bedroom, I incur the wrath of Mrs. Corwinnn until I sacrifice it to get new furniture.
  • @Tomigon
    No, that wouldn't work because you wouldn't have paid the activation cost. Nothing would happen.

@modnation675
    Spare target [permanent - type/subtype] (The next time you would sacrifice that permanent this turn, you may choose not to instead.)

@Corwinnn
    XD
  • This ability is inspired by @Tigersol 's bonded counters

Bonded - (Whenever another creature with bonded dies destroy this creature.)
  • edited April 2018
    @Faiths_Guide
    Tomigon is correct as it replaces the cost but still works.

This is the basis of a combo with devoted druid.

• @Tomigon @modnation675
    So it needs exceptions? Something like "Except to cast or activate?"
  • I think it would be better to state the following.
    ---
    Spare target [permanent - type/subtype] (The next time you would sacrifice that permanent this turn other than as a cost, you may choose not to instead.)
    ---
  • @Faiths_Guide
    So then you need to choose another permanent to sacrifice instead. That sounds more like a down side mechanic. It's only good when you are forced to sacrifice all creatures you control.
  • @Tomigon
    That sounds like a bad idea. Not worth the text space it requires.
  • edited April 2018
    Here is an activated mechanic, it's only on one card at this point.

Barter {COST} ({COST}: Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card." Target opponent creates two colorless Treasure artifact tokens with "{t}, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool." You and target opponent may exchange control of these tokens.)

And then the card will have a trade condition on it.

• Target creature gains +3/+1 and berserker until end of turn. (Instead of dealing combat damage to a player, this creature fights target creature you do not control if possible.)

Berserker (Instead of dealing combat damage to a player, this creature fights target creature you do not control if possible.)

burn target creature. (At the beginning of each upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on each burned creature.)

Law - Creatures cannot deal combat damage to other creatures or players.
    Whenever a creature breaks the law, exile that creature.

For law, on the card there is a condition. Whenever a something breaks a condition, something happens.

Sacrifice a nonbasic land: Shape target land. (Target land gains all other abilities Woodshaper has.)

(Cost): Shape Target____ (Target ___ gains all abilities (name of card) has.)
  • Here are some of mine:
    Secret from ____ (This creature cannot be blocked by, dealt damage by, destroyed by, targeted by, or exiled by anything ____. Whenever this creature blocks a ____ creature (If it's a color) or you target it with a spell, it loses this ability.
    Ex: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/syndacate-dealer

Hidden (This creature comes into play face down as a 2/2 with no creature type. When this creature attacks, you may turn it face up.)
    Ex: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/marshar-hunter-1?list=user

Backup X (When this creature dies, create that many 1/1 ____ tokens.) (The ____ can be any kind of token that fits with your set and the creature using the mechanic.)
    Ex: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/bluejay-lookout?list=user

I didn't look through all of the 23 pages when I posted this, so if some of them have the same name as other ones, sorry.
  • edited April 2018
    Here's mine:

Erupt [cost] (While you're searching your library, you may cast [card's name] from your library for its Erupt cost)

Symbiosis X - [cost] (You may pay an additional [cost] when casting this spell. If you do put X +1/+1 counters on [card's name] and you may put X +1/+1 on another target creature you control)

Pack X (If this creature would die put a -X/-0 Counter on it instead. If this creature power is ever 0 exile it)

Plunder - Whenever [card's name] deals combat damage to a player [any effect].

Example: image

Frostbite (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature tap that creature it doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step.)
  • @bubbasnickey erupt and plunder are really cool, but symbiosis should probably just counters on the card.
  • Bounty - An ability word for enchantments with "Enchant [permanent type] you don't control.", reads as "When enchanted permanent leaves the battlefield, do X"

[Cost]: Fortify X - Tap up to X attacking creatures and remove them from combat.

[Cost]: Corrupt target [permanent type]. (Corrupted permanents are destroyed at the beginning of their controller's end step).

Multimorph [Cost] (You may play this card from your hand as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it up at any time for its multimorph cost. If you do, create a token that's a copy of it)
  • edited April 2018
    Pestilence N: (This creature enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a +1/+1 counter from it. If this creature would die, exile it instead if it had no +1/+1 counters on it.)

Unseal N: (Whenever this card would be exiled or sent to the graveyard, it's exiled with N pact counters on it.)

Pestilence examples:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/shyxylex-eternal-plague

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/plague-herald

Unseal example:
    https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/alith-the-unsealed-1
  • edited April 2018
    This is a custom mechanic I made for a Dungeon-style Land card: Dungeon (This Land enters the battlefield with the number of Room counters listed on it. When this card is played, your opponent chooses 4 of their creatures to defeat the Dungeon. Those 4 are considered put of play until the Dungeon is defeated. Whenever a creature attacks this Dungeon, it loses one Room counter for each creature that is not blocked. When it loses all Room counters, flip it over. All creatures this Dungeon makes can attack the turn they are played)
    If you need clarification on it, I can give it.
    Here's an example of it now:
    Skull Cairn
    This card is the "boss" on the backside:
    Theelin, Skeletal King
  • I've hopped around this page for a bit, and I have to say I like a good number of these abilities. @Corwinnn's Barter could come in handy with some of the cards I have planned. Oh yes.

Anywho, here's one of mine: Wind Up, in which is used mostly for artifact creatures. Like it hints, you have to 'wind up' the creature to untap it, usually by paying its casting cost. Whether it has an added ability whenever it gets untapped is up to you.

Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/clockwork-automaton
  • In a card I am going to make soon, Allodoxaphobia, there will be a keyword I have made that I am either calling Dox or Allodox. I will include the effect and card example over here when I submit it to @modnation675’s competition.
  • edited April 2018
    I have made another new (I think) mechanic: Repair
    Here is an example of a card with Repair:
    Airship Mechanic
  • Guide

Guide target creature (To guide a creature, that creature gains all of this (card type) abilities.)

Note: Guide is only used on creatures.

• Fury (This spell costs {1} less for each point of combat damage that was dealt to player this turn.)
  • It's a red and black keyword
  • edited April 2018
    Blind Spot- Chose one color of target permanent which belongs your oponent, he only can destroy this creature with this color spells

Research X- When this creature enters in batllefield look X cards from the top of oponent's library

Desire-You and your oponent can take one card which are out of the game and put then in your hands

Devil pact-when this creature dies you lost the game

Alternation-At begin of the turn of each player this permanent are under control of this player
  • Credit goes to @Lastjustice for this Idea. But I wanted to make it all-inclusive.

Lastjustice's Dragonslayer (Whenever this creature assigns damage to a Dragon, it deals double damage instead.)

so I thought up of [BLANK]slayer (Whenever this creature assigns damage to a(n) [BLANK] it deals double that damage instead.)
  • Submerge by @Yururu

Submerge (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may put a -1/-1 counter on it. If you do, it becomes submerged and it can't be blocked.)
  • edited May 2018
    Here's a new pair of keyworded abilities: Racked and Vised.

They are explained in the reminder txt of these two cards.

image image

These are very simple examples. More complicated cards can have splashier effects.
  • Revel (Whenever this creature enters the battlefield you may tap it and give target legendary creature +1/+1)
  • @Scott_Anderson
    Like both of those! I don't get how the term "vised" makes sense though?