Haters gonna hate!

Comments

• I would HATE for this to not get bumped.
  • imageimage
    imageimage

All 5 of my entries (with bonus Hatebear entry).
  • @KalamMekhar , you're way past your deadline...You can't let HATE DIE!!
  • @Lastjustice: I would hate for that to happen! It won't die!

Unfortunately, due to various commitments and exams, and also the relative shortage of entries (my fault for not bumping enough), I couldn't judge this on deadline day. Hence, the deadline will be extended to May 15th. Sorry about this. Please don't hate me for it.
  • (creates a 2/2 with protection from @KalamMekhar)

I won't Hate you, only Hatebear you.
  • @Lastjustice: for all its protection, your bear can't withstand my wrath.

(These puns are rapidly getting out of hand.)
  • edited May 2018
    @KalamMekhar It would survive your wrath because hate has indestructible because it can never die.

You've been hatebeared!
  • edited May 2018
    I made this card for another contest but I think it meets the criteria of Category A: "Hatebears"
  • edited May 2018
    Category C

It's not finished yet(I'm not sure about the color. And I want flavor text) but I'll post it to bump this thread
  • Only three more days! Bring it on, haters!
  • edited May 2018
    I have a number of hatebears I've designed since the start of April. I think that counts as new cards.

I did not see a limit on the number of entries. Tomigon corrected me. Here is one entry:

• I'm not sure if this is specific enough to be hate, but it works against big ramp decks as well as decks whose only creatures are tokens.
  • @Scott_Anderson

"You may design up to one card for each category, for a total of 4 entries per smith. Then, if you have designed 1 card for each category, I will grant you a bonus 5th entry in a category of your choice (or if you want to do something unique, like a hate 'walker or a hate land, then you may do so)."

- KalamMekhar
  • edited May 2018
    @tomigon thanks. I edited down my post to one entry now.
  • Only one more day, fellow bears! At 12:00 PM Pacific Time I will be accepting no more entries. This is your last chance!
  • edited May 2018
    Category B

@KalamMekhar I apologize I had this done yesterday and had meant for it to be posted yesterday but things got hectic in the real world. I am so/so with this entry, and I wish I had more time to make more entries for your contest. If I am able to later I will. Hopefully this qualifies. I had a hell of a time with this contest, and finding art for it for me was quite difficult. Hope you enjoy the card at the very least!
  • I need to see the epic conclusion of this thread, don't let me down @KalamMekhar! (unless you are trying make me hate you...then well played Hatebringer!)
  • And that's it! No more entries! I will now look through your detestable...er, delightful, entries and find a winner!
  • Can't wait to see the results to this 'hateful', whoops, I mean lovable contest!
  • I am bringing the hate to all you speed demons...This thread needs a Speed Bump!

Hate might never die, but this contest will require a finale. You really don't want me doing a Reactivation Challenge for it 2 months from now.

• https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/troll-eater
    Playing Dwarf Fortress made this much easier. Basically the lore in one of the random worlds was most trolls were eaten by dragons. To specify troll creature type wouldn't be very applicable, but hurting some of their commonly key abilities? Hells yeah.
  • edited July 2018
    And we are here at last, haters! The results of this are in. A small change was made to the prize distribution: for each category, I will be awarding the top 2 and not the top 3. This is due to a shortage of entries and, furthermore, an uneven distribution of those few. Without further ado, here they are!

Hatebears

2nd place: @bnew07 with Skirk Mine-Sage

Fetchlands. Scapeshift. Crop Rotation. Knight of the Reliquary. Farseek. Field of Ruin. Primeval Titan. Just a non-exhaustive list of commonly played things that Skirk Mine-Sage hates on. What makes it stand out is that it also has a relevant creature type and decent stats, meaning in an aggressive Goblins shell this can really make the clock tick for the opponent. It is not entirely without costs (you won't be able to play fetchlands and land destruction of your own) but in the right shell, it can shine.

1st place: @Lastjustice with Brinth the Planesstalker

There are enough playable planeswalkers now that see a lot of play across formats. Some, like Teferi in current Standard and Gideon in BFZ Standard, can be very oppressive. What makes them oppressive is both the repeatability of their effects and the relative lack of efficient, maindeckable ways to deal with them. Brinth is refreshing in that she is perfectly playable even in the absence of planeswalkers thanks to being a creature (and having haste, to boot) so you are not 'wasting' any slots for dealing with walkers. She can quickly spiral out of control with one on the battlefield, though. Swing with your Gideon? Grow Brinth. Brainstorm your Jace? Grow Brinth. Make tokens off your Elspeth? Grow Brinth. Ultimate your Ugin? Grow Bri...eh, maybe she's not too useful in that last case. While this ability is really good, what makes her great is the hexproof from planeswalkers. The best planeswalkers (and by extension the ones that see play) are the ones with built in ways to protect themselves. Sometimes this is through tokens, like Gideon and Elspeth, but more often it is through some form of targeted removal as a minus ability. Brinth dodges all that. Dodging a Chandra -3 or a Karn -3 is huge. Good flavour as well, great card!

Spell-ing Doom

2nd place: @TheCenterOfTheUniverse with Plagued Masquerade

Very nice multi-utility card. Gets around hexproof, and will almost always hit the most relevant threat on the battlefield, overcoming the main issue with sac spells. Sometimes, against certain decks like tokens (as you yourself pointed out), it will go one up, Wrathing the board in a one sided manner. This is also effective against (ironic, considering your liking for it) Bogles, as their commonly played answer to sac spells (Dryad Arbor) does not work here on either mode. My one knock against it is the colours. It does not feel red whatsoever. Hitting the biggest (or highest cmc) creature feels very white, and black white makes a lot of sense for this card. Also, how does the choice happen? The way I've been interpreting it so far is that each player either sacs their highest power creature or sacs their highest cmc creature. Hope that's right.

1st place: @bnew07 with Telepathic Reversal

Take that, Thoughtseize! Control and blue-based combo decks now have a mana-efficient way to deal with one mana discard (assuming opponents are on the draw). Since these spells read 'target player reveals their hand', this goes one step above merely countering it, giving you all their hand information and turning the hunter into the hunted. This use alone is probably too narrow to warrant play, but the second use is what makes it playable. No combo deck likes being hit with Surgical Extraction. I can totally see Telepathic Reversal in a deck like Mono U Tron, stopping a Surgical for a single mana. However, the flavour is simply brilliant and these three factors drove it over the edge for me.

EncHATEments

2nd place: @DeepSky with Emerald Aurora

The green Blood Moon is much less effective, due to green having access to enchantment removal. Having said that, this can still pick up free wins against several decks. Also love the art and the flavour text here. Good job finding the closest 'green' phenomenon to a blood moon!

1st place: @Tomigon with Cursed Song

This helps solve a trio of abilities that black, the colour of targeted removal, simply hates. Very clean and cheap, and what I absolutely love is the cycling, ensuring multiples don't sit dead in your hand. That upkeep cost, though. That is steep. Perhaps it should have read: whenever you cast a spell that targets a creature an opponent controls, you lose 1 life. That way it at least scales with whatever it lets you do and not just a flat cost like this. Also, black already has a decent-ish way to deal with these creatures: sacrifice (although sacrifice doesn't always net you what you need).

Instruments of Hate

2nd place: @Lastjustice with Key of Transformation

This reminds me of Solemnity, in that it is a combo piece masquerading as a hate card. It serves as a narrow answer that's effective in the environment you intended it for (Shadows Over Innistrad block). However, it is too narrow to see play elsewhere, not to mention it isn't much of a lockdown (Search for Azcanta is good even if you can't transform it, unlike the Innistrad werewolves). The true benefit is transforming all your wolves and then slamming this down, preventing them from flipping back. You can even use this to transform everyone, and then play a second copy.

1st place: @bnew07 with Summoning Damper

Are you secretly an R&D member in disguise? This is the latest in a series of two mana artifacts that hate on two very different strategies. Sometimes, like Damping Sphere, the flavour is on point and it is well received. Sometimes, like Amulet of Safekeeping, it is an ill-conceived abomination that looks and feels clunky. This falls in the former category, with the paranoia of our lovable Demonlord tying the abilities together flavourwise. The first ability is the Thalia for creatures that everyone has been waiting for. It can be exceedingly effective against the likes of Burn or Bogles, decks that sometimes go entire games with just one or two lands. Of course, the likes of Aether Vial, CoCo, Through the Breach and Reanimator are able to get around this creature tax. And that's where the second ability, a weaker version of Containment Priest, comes in. I like that it is weaker, because this is a colorless card that can be played in any deck and also has a relevant first ability. I bet this will see play in real life. It's quite good at what it does.
  • (Ran out of characters, catching my breath. Give me a moment)
  • edited July 2018
    Before I get to the overall top 3, I just want to give a few shout-outs to cards that came close or were almost there.

@DeepSky with Searing Blast: This should not have had the option to target players. That makes it too strong IMO, as the deckbuilding cost is nearly nil. Had it been target creature or planeswalker, I'd have pushed it higher in a heartbeat.

@Tomigon with Ransom, Ingenious Alchemist: Another card whose rate I felt was a bit too aggressive even without the untap clause (see Azure Mage). Perhaps it should have cost 3U. Excellent idea, though, a way to punish control in a less feel-bad way than generic "can't be countered, hexproof" (looking at you, Carnage Tyrant).

@bnew07 with Knowledge Ward: Yet another card that was just a bit too oppressive. Paying life each time is rough. Perhaps tax them only once, when it enters the battlefield. Like this:
    "When Knowledge Ward ETB, each player may pay any amount of life. They get a number of knowledge counters equal to the amount of life paid this way.
    Whenever a player would search a library, that player searches the top X cards of their library instead, where X is the number of knowledge counters they have."

@Lastjustice with Leyline of Stasis: This is mono-white; there is no need of blue there. Also, it is a bit troubling to have this shut down planeswalkers completely. Note how Wizards avoided that wording on Solemnity. Additionally, you can play this with Dark Depths for free wins, so I think it should just limit itself to creatures, artifacts and enchantments. Also, I'd have liked it more if it included players as well.

And here's the overall top 3:

3 - Summoning Damper by @bnew07
    2 - Brinth the Planesstalker by @Lastjustice
    1 - Telepathic Reversal by @bnew07

The fave distribution is as follows:

@bnew07: 15 (!!!)
    @Lastjustice: 8
    @Tomigon: 3
    @TheCenterOfTheUniverse: 2
    @DeepSky: 2

Thank you all for participating! Stay tuned for my new contest (I'll put it up today!).
  • Congrats to ALL the winners!!
This discussion has been closed.