Mechanic Encyclopedia for ALL

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Bloodbath (Whenever a creature that was dealt combat damage by this creature dies this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

The more you kill, the more power you get!

Seaworthy (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, if it isn't seaworthy, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes seaworthy.)
    OR
    {cost}: If this creature isn't seaworthy, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes seaworthy.
    OR
    Whenever {event}, if this creature isn't seaworthy, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes seaworthy.

Three different ways to make your creature a powerful pirate. This is the first I've known of a mechanic with multiple ways to trigger, and it's my favorite custom mechanic that I made.
  • @TezzeretofCarmot21 I might have to use that
  • I think seaworthy is fun
  • @pjbear2005 Make sure to credit me if you do :P
  • Of course
  • edited June 2018
    Just going repost this here so in one spot.

Pact (This card can't be sacrificed or targetted by spells or abilities you control.)

-It's perfect for demons and other power spells with terrible drawbacks so they aren't easy to get rid of.

Psychic (If this creature would deal combat damage to a player, instead that player puts that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard.)

-A mainly blue mechanic to weaponize milling. Can color bleed into black and white, but not really meant for red or green. https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/mooncrystal-unicron?list=set&set=30974

Harness N (Whenever an opponent casts a planeswalker spell or activates a loyalty, or a planeswalker is put in the any graveyard from play put N +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

This game needs more Planeswalker hate! https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/notos-punishing-storm?list=set&set=15387

Elude (Can not be blocked by creatures with defender or flying)

I wanted to create a mechanic to punisher flyers, as normally granting evasion rarely has a downside. The idea is the creature is sneaking quickly thru dense surrounding whether be a forest or city and being flying over it wouldn't notice or stationary objects wouldn't get in their way. https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/fafhniel-shadow-claw?list=set&set=15387

My counter measure package here..

Aegis N (Whenever this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, that player pays {N} or the effect is countered.)

What a Frost Titan has heh. https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/moon-rune-regent-2?list=set&set=16273

Magnitude N (If you pay {N} when casting this spell, it can't countered or targeted of a spell or ability an opponent controls on the battlefield unless that player pays {N} or the effect is countered. Put N +1/+1 counters on it when it enters the battlefield.)

A mix of uncounterable and hexproof for a kicker cost. https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rex-lionedas?list=set&set=15387

Feedback N (If a spell or ability an opponent controls would counter or causes you to discard this card, exile it instead of putting it into your graveyard unless your opponent pays {N}. You may play it with paying it's mana cost.)

A mechanic to punish discarding and countering. Example of Feedback: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/ruby-rand-dwarf-pyromancer

another example of Feedback on a spell https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/what-dreams-may-come

Massacre- At the end of your combat phase, if three or more creatures died this combat, *Powerful effect*

Examples https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/konima-the-calamity?list=set&set=15387 and https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rampos-winged-death?list=set&set=15387

And Last one, as I think this something alot of people like.

*Creature/type* Slayer (Whenever this creature assigns damage to a *Creature of chosen type*, it deals double damage instead.)

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/rashida-the-dragonslayer?list=set&set=15387

• edited May 2018
    Wow...
    I didn't even know this existed. This is absolutely amazing...
    I've created a couple of custom mechanics myself. Since that seems to be the thing I'll put up a couple of them here. I haven't read through all of this vast archive, so I don't know whether similar mechanics have already been created or the name I'm using has already been used.

Linger: This Mechanic is similar to morph, megamorph and manifest.

Linger (When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up at any time for its mana cost.)

Legion: Allows you to make token copies of a creature you control.

Legion [cost] (At the beginning of your upkeep you may pay [cost], if you do create a token that's a copy of this creature.)

Caster: This is a little like the 'Partner with' mechanic from Battlebond except it searches for instants, sorceries and enchantments.

[spell] caster (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may put [spell] into your hand from your library, then shuffle.)

Here's an example I recently made that uses all three of these mechanics:

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/spirit-of-the-bear-tribe
  • @Undead Linger basically gives your creature pseudo-indestructible.
  • edited May 2018
    Yes, but it's still vulnerable to exile effects and you have to repay its cost whenever you want to flip it face up (it is vulnerable to removal as a face down 2/2) so I don't think it's too powerful necessarily, just a mechanic to be implemented with caution.
  • edited June 2018
    Spectrum, a creature is all 5 colors regardless of their mana cost. A reverse of Devoid, where it is colorless regardless of their mana cost.

Spectrum (This creature is all colors even if this card isn't in play.)

• edited June 2018
    Open source/open core! Feel free to use/modify/upgrade however you see fit. Comment credit on the card you make would be sweet.

Recur N - This creature enters the battlefield with N -1/-1 counter(s) on it. If another creature you control would die, instead remove a -1/-1 counter from this creature, and that creature gains Persist.

Mighty N - This creature enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counter(s) on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, if you gained life last turn, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.

Rend N - This creature enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counter(s) on it. When this creature dies, you may move any number of counters from it onto any number of target creatures.

Splendid N - This creature enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever you draw a card, you may move a +1/+1 counter from it onto another creature you control.

(Turns Graft into a 'must' rather than a 'may')
    Cursed N - This creature enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, move a +1/+1 counter from this creature on it.

Animate - Sacrifice a creature. Until your next turn, this card becomes a creature with power and toughness X/X, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.

Fallen - This card's color cannot be changed by spells or abilities. When this card becomes the target of a spell or ability, that card's controller loses life equal to your devotion to {color}.

• edited June 2018
    Here's a new one

Equilibrium- As long as your life total is equal to your starting life total, *Reasonably powerful effect*

In was inspired by the concept of Serra Ascendent (since it triggers when you start with it commander...which is kinda crap, but not the point.) What if you had something trigger but only if you kept your life perfectly even. Having effects that either take away life or add it would be part of the balancing act, and something you'd definitely want to include with it.

Volley N(When you cast this spell, copy it for each spell cast before it this turn up to N times. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

What if Storm were less awful?

Volley whatever the number, so it does that many rather than happen endlessly. I think storm is a cool idea on paper, but having no ceiling was what broke it. Making spells trigger 2-5 times depending what it does seems like a much more fair way of playing.

Paradigm Shift- If an opponent *Does blank* this spell costs {N} less to cast.

It's basically a name for the mechanic that all the avatar cards have. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=430673

My card with it.

• edited June 2018
    So I made a card yesterday for cardsmith @TenebrisNemo and while creating the card I came up with a custom ability: Souldrain.

Souldrain: Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may have target creature get -0/-X until end of turn, where X is equal to the amount of combat damage dealt by this creature this turn.

Example card:

• edited June 2018
    Here's my mechanic: Entrap.

Entrap: Put the card onto the battlefield face down as a colorless 0/1 Mine artifact creature token with defender and "When this creature dies, instead flip the card and cast without paying its mana cost. All players cannot peek under the entrapped card.

An example:

• edited June 2018
    @MonkeyPirate2002: I have a few thoughts on this:

1. "Flip the card" should rather be "turn it face up"
    2. What if it's a land card? The current wording doesn't allow for it.
    3. "All players cannot peek" admittedly cracked me up, but it would be worded "Players can't look at the card while it is face-down"
    4. It can't be a token. It's an actual card from your library.
    5. Usually such casting effects use the exile zone.

All in all, I think this would be a good way to word it (borrowing a bit from the Manifest reminder text since that is the closest equivalent in Magic):

Entrap the bottom card of your library (Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 0/1 Mine artifact creature with defender and "When this creature would die, instead turn it face up and exile it. If it is a nonland card, you may cast it without paying its mana cost." Players may not look at the card while it is face down.)

This is quite wordy so I would welcome any alterations to this from anyone.

Also, regarding your example card, I would give the Mines haste (which is in-colour), so that your newly entrapped card can attack.

• Crumbling - Damage is dealt to this creature in the form of -1/-1 counters.

Effectively a reverse kind of wither, allowing larger creatures for cheaper, but the damage permanently weakens the creature.
  • Aberration (When combat damage is being assigned to this creature, instead put that many -1/-1 counter on it for each point of damage being dealt, then put that many Intestine tokens with 0/1, shroud and
    "{p/b}, sacrifice this creature: Remove a -1/-1 counter of target creature you control.".)

What do you think abiut this?

https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/assembled-monstrosity-1?list=set&set=30635
  • edited June 2018
    @KalamMekhar
    Thank you for the advice. I made a new card that uses your feedback in its reminder text.

Since the mechanic is themed around chance, I think its okay that land cards can't be cast. Think of it as though the mine is a dud. Also, cards like Mind's Desire and Hazoret's Undying Fury do not allow you to play the lands you exiled, so I believe its fine that lands are permanently exiled.
  • Here are the two that I have used:

Liberate: (Whenever a Non-Token Artifact, Enchantment you don't control is destroyed, do X)

Tyrannize: (Whenever this permanent targets a creature you don't control with an ability, do X)

I have also made 'top card matters' graveyard mechanics.
  • edited June 2018
    Ungrave (When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it. If you do, you may return a creature card with converted mana cost equal to or less than this creature's toughness to your hand. When this creature dies, if it has a -1/-1 counter on it, exile it instead.)

• Also had Bloodbond X: (You may put X +1/+1 counters on this creature as it enters the battlefield. If you do, it deals X damage to you on the beginning of each upkeep.)
  • Heya, ig i'm new.
    I recently started building my own set, this set has the effect:

Remorse - When (Creature name) leaves the battlefield, if it was killed by a creature that creature gets -1/-1 counters equal to (Creature name) thoughness,
    if it was removed by a spell that spell's caster loses life equal to (Creature name) thoughness.

Example: https://mtgcardsmith.com/view/complete/full/2018/6/12/1528836672760065.png
  • Hazard (When this creature enters the battlefield roll up to X [where is the number of colored mana symbols in its casting cost] six-sided dice. For each die that lands on a 4 or higher, put a Fortune counter on it.)

For example: image
  • @TemurGideon cool! I would suggest making it have a number rather than care about mana symbols, like Hazard 3. That lets for a bit more flexibility and if you still want it to only be equal to the number of colored mana symbols, just always make cards like that.
  • edited June 2018
    Oh @TheCenterOfTheUniverse trust me, @Dechujoh64 and I have been telling @TemurGideon that it should have numbers already lol.
  • @TheCenterOfTheUniverse - Just think of it going down like this...

@sorinjace - "Dude, that should have numbers."
    @Dechujoh64 - "Yeah, dude... Numbers."
    @TemurGideon - " Dudes... I like it this way, shut up."
    Then there is some scuffling as a small skirmish ensues, and then, out of the dust...

@Dechujoh64 - "Dudes! Stop messing up my hat and put the numbers on it already!"

At least, that's what I just imagined it went down like.

• @Corwinnn you are not too far off. >w< jk
  • @Corwinnn he's still wearing the hat.
  • edited June 2018
    @Corwinnn did @TenebrisNemo grant you the custom mechanic Sight? Because thats actually freaky scary how close it was to what actually happened! Lol.