Tales from Beyond!

Comments

• @ManaChrome, I edited Reno to Rena and rephrased the Odd roll effect. I kept it showing as volatility so as not to mess with the blocking.
  • edited August 2018
    @ManaChrome Is this ok or not?

• Love the art and the full picture, what program did you make it with.
  • @Fallen_Lord_Vulganos Of course! It's such a simple yet so very interesting design!
  • @bigbadbooknerd
    Magic set editor using some downloaded templates. We've experimented with them before.

But we lost the original files when swapping hard drives and still need to get them.
  • edited August 2018
    This seems really cool! Here are my older cards:

Here's the link to Aggrol's art. https://www.deviantart.com/stevegoad/art/Earth-Elemental-163822927 I apparently forgot that the name of the artist was in the picture's file name when I created the card.
    Link to Kerjold's art: https://www.deviantart.com/sandara/art/Artifact-Dragon-419480536
    Disciple of Dune's artist is Chris Rahn.

Here are my new cards:

Link to the art: https://www.deviantart.com/forrestimel/art/Hydra-462759148
    Art Link:
    Oops! I forgot to say the artist. The artist is Slawomir Maniak.

And before you start going on about how that art is from that real card, I KNOW. I'm just too lazy to find original art for all my cards. A lot of them are original art, but not all. About half of these are. Bonus points to anyone who can tell me the real magic card that the art came from on the other half without looking it up.
  • edited August 2018
    @modnation675 I'm currently working on making these cards in the contest into full art! I was wondering if you could explain your "The Spark of Yarn" card, because I'm kind of confused with the "nontribal card type" clause since "tribal" is a supertype like "legendary."

I believe that you meant "creature type?" But I'm not really sure. I'm just hoping to get your insight on how the card works so that I can simplify it if needed and so that I can explain how the card works myself when I'm doing the exhibition match! Sorry if this is a bother, but thank you if you decide to answer!

EDIT: I'm not sure you saw this original comment, so I decided to copy paste since I saw you posted a comment after to answer someone's question ^-^
  • @ManaChrome tribal actually isn't a supertype.
    From the comprehensive rules of magic:
    205.2a The card types are artifact, conspiracy, creature, enchantment, instant, land, phenomenon, plane, planeswalker, scheme, sorcery, tribal, and vanguard.
    (Some of those don't matter, but as it states tribal is a card type.)
  • edited August 2018
    @TheCenterOfTheUniverse Ah, gotcha ^-^ That makes much more sense! Thanks for answering!
  • A way too versatile god creature maybe?

full art: https://www.deviantart.com/tsrodriguez/art/Loki-480071281

In case you cannot read the full text because there's too much of it:

As you cast Loki, God of Mischief, name a permanent. Loki, God of Mischief enters the battlefield as a copy of named permanent except it's legendary, it's a God in addition to its other types, it's blue in addition to its other colors, and its name is Loki, God of Mischief in addition to its other names. (The permanent can be any legal permanent. If a non-creature permanent is named, then Loki, God of Mischief is not a creature.)

When Loki, God of Mischief goes to the graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
  • edited August 2018
    @fiskerton I like it! Maybe you could cut down the words by looking at "Sakashima, the Impostor" and "Clever Impersonator" for reference?
  • edited August 2018
    Maybe something like:

You may have Loki, God of Mischief enter the battlefield as a copy of any permanent on the battlefield except it's legendary, it's a God in addition to its other types, it's blue in addition to its other colors, and its name is Loki, God of Mischief in addition to its other names.
  • edited August 2018
    Oh, and maybe you could change it to "Except its name is still CARDNAME" rather than "And its name is CARDNAME in addition to its other names" in order to:

1) Make the text shorter.

2) Make it so that you basically have Sakashima's clause, where you can have two of the same legendary permanent rather than if you had it at "in addition to its other names" <<< since that clause still triggers the legend rule.

3) So that, at least this way, it wouldn't just be a Clever Impersonator that's more restrictive, but instead, a mix between Clever Impersonator and Sakashima!
  • edited August 2018
    1st Entry

• edited August 2018
    2nd Entry
  • edited August 2018
    3rd Entry
  • @Bobman111 Alright! Thanks for the entries! Although they technically don't do much since you'd have to pay 2 mana to activate the tome THEN cast the spell, meaning that that you would add net -1 mana for casting it, I guess I'll include them anyway for fixing or something ^-^

I am also allowing you to enter other cards to replace those three if you aren't comfortable with what I mentioned above ^^^

Also, the artist for your last card, Visions of the Ruby, is Daniel Ljunggren ^-^ Where the art was also used for Ruby Medallion. (This is assuming that you earnestly couldn't find the artist for your card since it does say "No Artist Credit")
  • edited August 2018
    Alright! Our spotlight card is Master of the Inward Sun by @Beeswax! Not only is it a growing menace, being pumped by instants and sorceries that you cast, but it's also a unique way of clearing the board and taking action against token strategies!
  • edited August 2018
    Next! I'm gonna try and spotlight a card from each cardsmith who entered this contest! Hopefully my picks surprise the cardsmiths who made them! Be sure to be on the look out for this!
  • edited August 2018

Starting with @fiskerton! Their spotlight card is going to be Superior Intellect!

I can totally see this slotting into any deck that focuses on group hug, taking advantage of receiving cards while also giving them to your opponents!

Decks that focus on digging for spells are going to love this, too, allowing for them to have a cheap set of removal, all the while drawing cards along the way!

I know a bunch of Simic decks that like to focus on accumulating cards in hand, so this would slot into that perfectly as well!

Take a gander at fiskerton's library to look at his interesting cards that give off twists on mechanics and highly-interactive combo pieces! I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
  • edited August 2018

Here's the spotlight card for @Bobman111: Mokrath, Claimer of Souls! I "remade" this card just to fix up the text box a lil' ^-^ The only reason I changed the art is because it's what I had at the time, I would've used the original if I could.

What an interesting design! Not only does this design provide an interesting way of removal, but it also conveys a unique relationship of flavor and function! Not only is this card functional, but it also "gives" the player a reason to believe that this creature is "mind-controlling" the creatures it steals very flavorfully!

Bravo on the great design! I hope to see more of this in the future!
  • edited August 2018
    That's all that's gonna come from me today ^-^ I'll post more entry spotlights tomorrow! Happy cardsmithing!

TIP OF THE DAY: Just because a card has more words, it doesn't mean that it's more interesting than shorter cards with game-changing designs! But a card with a very simple ability like "2,T: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature" doesn't really make players say "Wow! I suddenly want to make a deck!" There's a balance that all cardsmiths should strive to achieve :)
  • edited August 2018
    4th Entry
This discussion has been closed.